The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
Pie
Gone and done

Bank of America. They didn't get the wire transfer through to our buyer on Friday; we had to have a 'dry settlement' and hope that the money comes through today. Selling a house is a bitch.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr
I bought some fish sticks, in a box. In the box, was a bag w/fish sticks in it. Why the box? Do away w/the box and mark down the price 15 cents. No box, no paper to be bought. No paper, no box to print. No printing, no ink to pay for. Less ink produced='greener' planet. See?
Answer #1: Because right there in the freezer case, next to the box of fishsticks you bought, was a lumpy bag of fishsticks. But you didn't notice them, you instead saw a nice stacked box with pretty pictures on it, and you bought that instead.

Answer #2: Because in stores across the country, those same plastic bags are inside a variety of boxes with different brands on them. The one fishstick factory ships out the unmarked plastic bags to whatever distributor has a good brand penetration in the area.

So, ah... do you like fishsticks?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #18
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Tea bags (no, not those) that come in the little paper envelopes. WTF?! The paper isn't airtight, it isn't sealed in any case so it doesn't keep the tea fresher. It just makes the tea harder to get to, and keeps the price of the tea from being cheaper. I don't like most double packaged items. I bought some fish sticks, in a box. In the box, was a bag w/fish sticks in it. Why the box? Do away w/the box and mark down the price 15 cents. No box, no paper to be bought. No paper, no box to print. No printing, no ink to pay for. Less ink produced='greener' planet. See?
I hate excessive packaging as well. Especially that plastic shit that you need a bazooka to open because it's so stiff and hard.

*heehee. I said stiff and hard*
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #19
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Answer #1: Because right there in the freezer case, next to the box of fishsticks you bought, was a lumpy bag of fishsticks. But you didn't notice them, you instead saw a nice stacked box with pretty pictures on it, and you bought that instead.

Answer #2: Because in stores across the country, those same plastic bags are inside a variety of boxes with different brands on them. The one fishstick factory ships out the unmarked plastic bags to whatever distributor has a good brand penetration in the area.

So, ah... do you like fishsticks?
Meh.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Cheap-ass fishsticks don't have the inner bag (and by cheap-ass I mean cheaper than regular fish sticks which are pretty cheap.)

I won't eat them: laying around in just a box with multiple entry points for tiny little critters? No thanks. And a dirty cardboard box? You can't really wash fishsticks, any more than you can dust for vomit.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:39 AM   #21
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I won't eat them: laying around in just a box with multiple entry points for tiny little critters?
Where do you think the flavor comes from?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #22
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

the ex ... AGAIN!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #23
Pie
Gone and done

Imax ain't what it used to be.
Quote:
But most importantly, of course, the screens were only a fraction of the size of a “real” IMAX theater screen. And all were shorter, 1.9-aspect-ratio screens, not the tall 1.44 screens of classic IMAX theaters. And let’s face it, the biggest aspect of the “wow” factor is height. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that even a very wide screen is not nearly as impressive as a one that towers six or eight stories high.

The screen door effect
Using two high-powered digital projectors, the IMAX digital system projects an image that is bright, with good contrast and slightly better resolution than other digital projectors. But every IMAX digital theater I’ve been in has also had a noticeable “screen door effect,” that is, a visible dark grid pattern separating the pixels...
I saw the new ST movie both at a regular screening, and at the new "IMAX Experience" at the Columbia AMC.

I want my extra $5 for the Imax back. What a rip-off.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
I hate excessive packaging as well. Especially that plastic shit that you need a bazooka to open because it's so stiff and hard.

*heehee. I said stiff and hard*
heehee you said bazooka!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #25
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

We have been noticing a disturbing trend as of late. It has been slowly happening for quite some time but now seems quite accelerated as the economy tanked. Nearly every consumer good is being reduced in volume or quantity for the same or a higher price. You name it. A bag of chips (crisps for you in the UK), a liquid soap (dial liquid soap is now very liquid and less thick), many bottles now have complete covers over the container so you can't see the actual contents. There are many more examples but it just seems like I see them more than ever before. Oh, and it pisses me off. Not that I should be surprised but still...
Old 05-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #26
glatt

I wonder if they actually believe we don't notice.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #27
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Yeah, remember when a half-gallon of ice cream was sold as a brick, with actual corners? I'm convinced they moved to those curved containers because it's harder to tell when they make the size a bit smaller.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #28
glatt

what's a half gallon of ice cream?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah I used Dial bar soap until three months ago, they shaved the bar so that the bottom now has an arc enough to take out a third of the thing. Pre-slivered for our convenience! Unacceptable! I've gone to the old standard Ivory bar, which is as square and meaty as ever.

It's fucking soap people and we know two-thirds of your costs are in advertising.

Brand loyalty is a two-way street... this is our products not being loyal to us.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #30
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
We have been noticing a disturbing trend as of late. It has been slowly happening for quite some time but now seems quite accelerated as the economy tanked. Nearly every consumer good is being reduced in volume or quantity for the same or a higher price. You name it. A bag of chips (crisps for you in the UK), a liquid soap (dial liquid soap is now very liquid and less thick), many bottles now have complete covers over the container so you can't see the actual contents. There are many more examples but it just seems like I see them more than ever before. Oh, and it pisses me off. Not that I should be surprised but still...
Don't get me started on Totino's pizzas...the best cheap ass frozen pizza on earth! When I was in HS, they were as big as a record album. Now they're like a 45.

And I'm telling my age with my references. Sorry kids.