The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Trying to Certify as a Lifeguard

So now the cat is out of the bag and it's in many many threads (as it completely dominates my life this week.......)

I'm training to be a lifeguard. For the first time. At the ripe old age of 41. With the highschoolers.

Why? Well I ended up being a middle school swim team co-coach, and neither of us are certified so we have to hire a guard. i figure after 4 years it's time one of us was. And my kids do various water activities, I'm involved in the management of various pools and teams and occasionally stuff they want to do has to be cancelled/rescheduled because we can't get a lifeguard. And because maybe I can and I will feel a great sense of accomplishment if I do. i was never a "swimmer" as a kid. I was actively encouraged to think of myself as a non-swimmer.....

It's 9-5 Mon-Fri this week -testing Friday.

As a recap, Monday's start got delayed because they were doing something with the transformer and there was no power at the school. So I had more time to fret about the prerequisites -specifically swimming 20y, surface dive, retrieve 10lb weight in one attempt, keep hold with both hands, swim back, put weight on side, get self out of pool. Then, when we started at 1pm, the pumps had only been operational for a few hours, so we did hours of bookwork and tested at the end of the day. Failure means you can't continue.

Despite this being Swimmer Girl's pool, I have never actually swum in it before and I can't get out! Well I managed twice before I had exerted myself any, but now I can't do it and I have injured myself trying. There's nearly 2 feet between the deck and the water, and the gutter is under the pool curb and recessed 12". I can get out of most pools, but not this one. But I fudged it enough to get out and pass the test yesterday.

Today, after a couple hours book work, we rescued each other for five hours solid. I lost both of my contact lenses the minute we moved to needing to dive down and keep eyes open, and by 3pm, I had a white chlorine haze going on. I wasn't alone. No goggles are allowed. We learned that i am the most buoyant person in the history of the world. The instructor (who is the assistant coach of swimmer girl's team) can see that I'm a strong swimmer and try hard to stay at the bottom when pretending to be a submerged victim, but submerged victims are generally supposed to be passive and I need to move all 4 limbs to stay down at 7 feet. And it's an extra buoyant pool. I know I can tread water for hours, I hardly have to move. In this pool i don't have to move at all. Pencil straight, i have mouth and nose above water. Anyone else sensing a major chemical issue here?

But I rescued people from all required positions perfectly adequately .....and I got my whistle. I am so proud of myself. 10 years ago I didn't put my face in the water when I swam

it's going to be touch and go on Friday. The book exam, first aid and CPR will be a doddle, the rescues should be OK, but I may fail on technicalities. I think/hope not -mostly my problem is getting out of the pool (unaided, no ladders). The instructor knows I can get out of most pools, am fit and lifeguarding exams are held in pools with much easier exits.....
Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I don't know what your area requirements are but I can't imagine that "getting out of the pool" is one of them. OF COURSE there's so much more to being a lifeguard. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Is "getting the drowning semiconscious child out of the pool" one of the tests? I would have thought that would be more important.

Still, it would look silly if the lifeguard can't get out.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I don't know what your area requirements are but I can't imagine that "getting out of the pool" is one of them. OF COURSE there's so much more to being a lifeguard. Good luck.
In a passive drowning rescue, the primary responder brings the victim to the side, then the secondary holds them ready for the backboard. primary must get out and get the backboard. swimming to the steps is kind of not ok
Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Wouldn't equipment like this simplify procedures a bit? I'm sure you could get some modern equipment and just shoot it from the side.
Attached Images

Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
In a passive drowning rescue, the primary responder brings the victim to the side, then the secondary holds them ready for the backboard. primary must get out and get the backboard. swimming to the steps is kind of not ok
That's understandable. I would disagree with the part about not swimming to the steps though. There are an infinite number of situations where getting the victim from the bottom to the nearest edge and out there might not be the best choice. For example, what if the victim is just too big to take out of the pool at that nearest edge spot? Maybe getting to the steps is a better idea. Regardless, I am not trying to argue with you. I hope this particular combination of factors doesn't disqualify you (assuming you're A+ lifeguard material otherwise). This exam isn't for this specific pool is it?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
monster

Rhianne.... could work...... sorely tempting....

these kids I'm training with are great. There are 11 kids, one other adult and I know all but 4 of the kids personally and know who the others are. And they know who swimmer girl is, even if they haven't made the connection between us. And they've been fine with the old lady in the pool.

I didn't tell a few people locally what i was going to do because I knew I was nervous and their reactions wouldn't have helped. One of the people I deliberately didn't tell enrolled her daughter. well shit. but then today..... the polo team had a birthday to celebrate and were so noisy we had to stop class and went to watch. So know they all know... and then SG's swim coach held a private lesson and saw me with the group and was all "are you taking this class......?" No secrets in this town. I was impressed the instructor hadn't told her though. Top marks on confidentiality for him. I kind of feel like a celeb, but I wish it was once I had actually passed and got my cards.....
Old 04-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
That's understandable. I would disagree with the part about not swimming to the steps though. There are an infinite number of situations where getting the victim from the bottom to the nearest edge and out there might not be the best choice. For example, what if the victim is just too big to take out of the pool at that nearest edge spot? Maybe getting to the steps is a better idea. Regardless, I am not trying to argue with you. I hope this particular combination of factors doesn't disqualify you (assuming you're A+ lifeguard material otherwise). This exam isn't for this specific pool is it?
No and I think the instructor will stretch the point. But I'd still rather he didn't have to. i really don't understand why i can't get out of this pool. that's more frustrating than anything. yes, it's a huge way to haul yourself. yes, i'm heavy and core/upper body strength is not my forte ...but i'm no slouch either. but the other adullt is clearly in way worse shape than me and she can do it. mostly. 50+%ish
Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
monster

I'm going to try a strong dolphin kick to get myself up tomorrow -before I do anything else including the warm up.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
monster

Day 3.
Mostly classroom. mostly CPR. Piece of cake -my certification only expired a few days ago so I helped train more than learn. Also, before we actually go to the training, while we were doing the Bloodborne pathogens protection bit -a classmate passed out, keeled over and hit her head, so the instructor, the other adult student and I (all first aid/cpr certified already) dealt with that to provide a real-life example for the class including removal to hospital by ambulance.

The last bit was backboarding for suspected spinal injuries in the pool. I rock at that. The teenagers are uncoordinated and do not see beyond their immediate point of focus. This does not bode well for this task. there are some advantages to being older/more experienced! This was supposed to be the hardest part, but I found it easy -as long as I was in charge and not the victim (I nearly slid off the board sideways back into the pool but half over the curb when they were lifting me. The usually chilled instructor sounded a little panicky. I had my eyes shut -seemed wisest.

We ended with half an hour to practice our weakest skills. I did pool exit. I am so close to doing it, but and battered and bleeding from the attempts. I think my buoyancy is actually part of the problem. I watch the others do it and they all bob down then push up and forwards. i can't get down so much and am forced up and back or straight and can't get control over it. And it's not being "bigger" beest is "bigger" too and he sinks like a stone. But it is probably a female thing.

Anyway, I did exit the pool from 5.5 feet by pushing off the bottom -but showing I have the body strength to haul myself out once I can get up far enough to get my arms straight, and the instructor went back and read the directions and we have agreed that they do not insist that I can't use the ladder as long as I am not delayed or exhibiting weakness, so I will just swim my vicitm to right next to the ladder
Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Anyway, I did exit the pool from 5.5 feet by pushing off the bottom -but showing I have the body strength to haul myself out once I can get up far enough to get my arms straight, and the instructor went back and read the directions and we have agreed that they do not insist that I can't use the ladder as long as I am not delayed or exhibiting weakness, so I will just swim my vicitm to right next to the ladder
Excellent! You've got the rest knocked.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
monster

Day 4: I am so ready to make the girl with verbal diarrhea a permanent submerged drowning victim.

Test day tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
monster

....and passed. Don't worry ma'am, I'll get you to safety.

Iffy moment with the backboarding but handled it well, so passed. (Floaty person, superfloaty backboard = not going to submerge two feet beneath a spinal victim without a fight.....) Aced the "written" test -first to do so- and got a bag that says lifeguard as a bonus.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm curious, did anyone in the class not pass? That would be a hard defeat for a teenager to handle, after a solid week of work like that.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
monster

There were a couple who had to repeat the water skills and CPR skills a few times, and a couple I would not actually hire (pretty much the same two), but they do have the basic knowledge and really just need practice applying it and more confidence in one case, less self importance and confidence in the other -I have to hire guards who are ready to be in charge as our pool is so small we only have one guard on duty at once. I don't know if any failed the written because I was free to go once I left.