The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #61
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

ABC (was it ABC?) canceled it and NetFlix picked it up for season 3.

I think.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:25 AM   #62
glatt

There's this show on Netflix called Blown Away. It's like one of those reality baking shows that has weekly challenges and a contestant gets kicked off each week.

Blown Away is about glass blowing, and it's really interesting. They get loose instructions to make something, and the contestants all have different interpretations of what to do. They all have previous skill of varying degree.

There was this one woman contestant who was familiar looking. It took me two episodes, but I finally placed her. Six years ago, the glatt family took a vacation in the Finger Lakes. We stopped at the Corning Museum of Glass, which is actually an amazing place, and we attended a half hour demonstration. It was run by this woman contestant, and I realized that's where I knew her from.

I mentioned it to my wife and daughter, and they were skeptical, but then I found a picture I took of that demonstration six years ago, and showed them. It was kind of neat to have a picture on my phone of this contestant walking around on the show.

Anyway, the show is fun. A lot like British Baking Show, but with glass blowing, which has always intrigued me.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #63
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
The "PM fucking a pig" one was good. Didn't see the ending coming, and it was a more subtle message of "look what you miss out on" rather than "hurdy-dur those damn sheeple spend too much time on their phones! They'll get what's coming to them..." It's the only one so far that felt like it could really happen.
Yeah - the first one is probably my favourite - with White Bear a close second.

One of the problems now with rewatching, or watching for the first time, the first 2 series, is that some of those ideas that were very new then have become sci fi tv and cinema staples in the intervening years. So they don't feel quite so original - even though they were at the time.

White bear for instance has elements that feel almost like the Purge when it begins.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:48 PM   #64
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
ABC (was it ABC?) canceled it and NetFlix picked it up for season 3.

I think.
Well, crap. It was a great show and now I'll never know how it ends!
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 PM   #65
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Not sure what I was expecting from The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, but it wasn't what I got. But I liked it anyway.

And Stranger Things 3 was largely what I expected, and I liked it anyway.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:11 AM   #66
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post

There was this one woman contestant who was familiar looking. It took me two episodes, but I finally placed her. Six years ago, the glatt family took a vacation in the Finger Lakes. We stopped at the Corning Museum of Glass, which is actually an amazing place, and we attended a half hour demonstration. It was run by this woman contestant, and I realized that's where I knew her from.
I barely recognize the guy in the mirror each day...
Old 07-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #67
Peterdowe
Belt Conveyor

Quote:
"Not sure what I was expecting from The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, but it wasn't what I got. But I liked it anyway."
Was the story that good?
Peterdowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #68
Happy Monkey

It went between silly and horrific at the drop of a hat. There were characters that were broad stereotypes and characters who surprised you. There was some generic and some fantastic acting. It was in many ways a mess, but in some ways it felt like the type of mess carefully constructed and put in an art gallery. Overall I liked it and am interested in seeing where it goes.

It is not for people who think that 'SJW' is an insult.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 07-19-2019, 01:33 AM   #69
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I last watched BREAKDOWN (1997) on VHS
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 AM   #70
Griff
still says videotape

We're about 4 episodes into After Life with Ricky Gervais, funny obviously, but very touching and smart as well. The dog, I love the dog.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #71
Peterdowe
Belt Conveyor

Quote:
"It went between silly and horrific at the drop of a hat. There were characters that were broad stereotypes and characters who surprised you. There was some generic and some fantastic acting. It was in many ways a mess, but in some ways it felt like the type of mess carefully constructed and put in an art gallery. Overall I liked it and am interested in seeing where it goes.

It is not for people who think that 'SJW' is an insult."
Hmm, doesn't sound too bad then. I guess I still have to lower my expectations though.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #72
Happy Monkey

Just to clarify, 'horrific' was a compliment, as it is a horror show. I actually hadn't expected it to lean so hard into the horror aspect, but I was glad it did.

But yes, there is a lot of the standard cheese that many genre and teen drama shows have, as it is both.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 07-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #73
Peterdowe
Belt Conveyor

Quote:
"Just to clarify, 'horrific' was a compliment, as it is a horror show. I actually hadn't expected it to lean so hard into the horror aspect, but I was glad it did.

But yes, there is a lot of the standard cheese that many genre and teen drama shows have, as it is both."
Oh, then I'll definitely check it out then.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #74
Peterdowe
Belt Conveyor

Watched that terrible movie, "Birdemic" due to a bet I lost. It was really bad. The only good thing about it is that it was so bad, it was hilarious.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #75
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I last watched THE MALTESE FALCON (1941) on VHS
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote