The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #241
glatt

Banana lady? And we never heard about you straightening up for her arrival. Was the house kind of clean?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #242
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I think you see Banana Lady more often than I see my MIL, and she doesn't even live in another country!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #243
monster
I hear them call the tide

No, the house was a wreck. Still is. Yes, we see Banana Lady more than when we were in the UK -more time, anyway, used to be a few hours every couple of weeks at best. Now it's 5-6 weeks 24/7 each year.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #244
monster

State Cut, baby! And a personal best in the 50 free.

This year the School is in Division 2 for women's swimming (It's done by enrolment size and we're on the cusp of D1/D2). Which means State Cuts are a little slower. so her 1:11:11 in the breast was fast enough. What do you mean she wasn't swimming the breaststroke? Intense coach was intense and realized we weren't winning as easily as she anticipated so dropped her from the Fly and put her in the breast. And the 200 free relay. She would have dropped her from the 50 free too and put her in the IM or left her in the fly if she could, but she'd already swum it by then. Last year she went in as Breaststroker #5. One graduated. She just slaughtered last year's #4. So now she's #3. Or maybe #2....who knows ......#2 didn't swim that event tonight.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #245
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well dang! Happy dance!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #246
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
State Cut, baby! And a personal best in the 50 free.

This year the School is in Division 2 for women's swimming (It's done by enrolment size and we're on the cusp of D1/D2). Which means State Cuts are a little slower. so her 1:11:11 in the breast was fast enough. What do you mean she wasn't swimming the breaststroke? Intense coach was intense and realized we weren't winning as easily as she anticipated so dropped her from the Fly and put her in the breast. And the 200 free relay. She would have dropped her from the 50 free too and put her in the IM or left her in the fly if she could, but she'd already swum it by then. Last year she went in as Breaststroker #5. One graduated. She just slaughtered last year's #4. So now she's #3. Or maybe #2....who knows ......#2 didn't swim that event tonight.

wtg !!

at what level do you start competing with the clock and not another swimmer #n or whatever?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #247
monster

Every level. It kind of goes the other way -you always compete against the clock, then you find someone of a similar ability and they are who you race to get better times, which gets you to the better meets, and eventually the outtouch to win is way more important than the actual time.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #248
monster

RECORD BREAKER!!!!!

The breaststroke relay won and smashed the previous record (from 2005) by 3 seconds!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #249
glatt

sweet!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #250
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

WOW!

Three seconds is HUGE. Please relay my congratulations to her and her teammates!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #251
monster

Thanks, will do. Record was 2:08, now 2:05 (200y breaststroke relay)
Old 09-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #252
monster

Today she had to choose between the two sports for the first time. Tryouts for the Midwest Water Polo Olympic Development Team are tomorrow (cost $100 + $85 membership -coach said she will make the team). It's 4 weekends of intensive training followed by the Regional Tournament in March (cost $700 plus hotels etc). The same weekend as USA Swimming state championships.

She chose polo, athough we are waiting to get confirmations that they are OK with her not being a citizen

For now swim season is going well, she missed the state cut in the IM by .8 of a second this week, but there are plenty more meets to go and she almost equalled her personal best -which was swum tapered and in her "magic suit"
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #253
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
they are OK with her not being a citizen
I did not know this. For some reason I was thinking they'd all been born here. How old was she when you came over? Does this mean she'll swim for the UK in the Olympics?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #254
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
And does she have an English accent? The boys will be crushing on her.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #255
Clodfobble

The time I met her, she didn't, except for the occasional extremely out-of-place word, like "pasta" rhymed with "faster." I think that was part of why I assumed she'd been here her whole life.