The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 06-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't Wash Chicken

The Food Standards Agency is telling Brits not to wash chicken.
Quote:
The government's food watchdog has urged consumers to stop washing chicken before they cook it to avoid contaminating their kitchen with Campylobacter – the most common type of food poisoning in the UK – which can cause death as well as serious health problems.

Research for the Food Standards Agency reveals that more than two-fifths of cooks say they routinely wash chicken as part of their food preparations. But the FSA has warned that splashed water droplets can spread Campylobacter bacteria on to human skin, work surfaces, clothing and cooking equipment.

Campylobacter is responsible for most cases of food poisoning, with around 280,000 people affected in the UK each year, and four out of five cases are caused by contaminated chicken. "While most cases result in people suffering from abdominal pain, severe diarrhoea and vomiting, some cases can lead to more significant health problems," the Food Standards Agency said.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I dont usually wash chicken, but i do wash the utensils and chopping boards after i have prepared it. Surely the same risk would apply.

This article doesn't wash with me.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Could be, but you know they have to be sanitized, so you don't have a choice.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Aliantha

The potential for splashes is still there though. I just reckon they'd be better of teaching the public better food safety standards though.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:07 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

When you wash boards and utensils you're not rinsing them under running water, right?
You wash them in a sink/ bowl/ dishwasher with a detergent. Even splashes of that water will therefore not contain live bacteria.
People who "wash" chicken are rinsing it under a tap.

I agree that general food safety standards do help, this being one of them.

We never washed chicken in my house.
But then we don't refrigerate eggs either.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:01 AM   #6
JuancoRocks
Sir Post-A-Lot

I have to disagree with their analysis of washing chicken. I cook a lot of chicken, I smoke chicken, grill chicken, boil chicken, bake chicken and fry chicken. I always wash chicken as soon as I take it out of the package (as it is soaking in a water and blood mixture along with a paper tampon) and after cutting up the chicken I wash it again to remove the loose bits. I think the key to what I do is after I am done preparing a chicken is that I wash the counters and everything associated with the preparation in soap and water and after that I wash them with an alcohol mixture of 50-50 alcohol and water.

I grew up on the farm without electricity and we slaughtered chickens on a daily basis. The only cooling we had was icebox and the celler which we didn't use much. I don't remember anyone ever getting sick from salmonella or any other chicken or bacteria related illnesses.

I remember a book that I read from World War I that had the statement "cleanliness is next to godliness and here in the war it's next to impossible". However even without electricity and cooling we managed to eat chickens fairly regularly.

I still agree with the statement that cleanliness is next to godliness and take all precautions when preparing chicken. This is my opinion and your mileage may vary based on conditions and handling.

JR
Old 06-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuancoRocks
I grew up on the farm without electricity and we slaughtered chickens on a daily basis. The only cooling we had was icebox and the celler which we didn't use much. I don't remember anyone ever getting sick from salmonella or any other chicken or bacteria related illnesses.
Yes, but your live chickens were in clean, healthy conditions to begin with. When you are eating factory-farmed chickens, where the ones on the bottom racks are literally being shit on by the chickens above them all day, your chicken is much more likely to be contaminated right out of the package.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I buy only Amish raised chicken, that are not raised in cages stacked up like that. And I always wash my chicken, because my Mother and Grandmother washed them and nobody got sick. I wash them in cold water and I don't splash the water all over the place. When I clean up, I use hot water and bleach. And nobody ever gets sick. Knock on wood.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

All I know is you ain't supposed to wash your chickens before they're hatched.

Seriously, I can't imagine not rinsing chicken. If nothing else, it seems less slimy to me, pre-cooked. But the article states that the Campylobacter bacteria can not only "cause severe illness and death, but it costs the economy hundreds of millions of pounds a year as a result of sickness absence and the burden on the NHS."

I think the death part precludes any concerns about irritable bowel syndrome or sickness absence. Then again, it's like adding insult to injury, isn't it, being dead AND having a tummyache.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I have my chicken dry-cleaned.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Haggis!

Sent by thought transference
Old 06-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

As I mentioned in another thread, don't try to wash your daughter's pet rooster while it is alive. They do not like bubble baths no matter how much your child pleads.

I hate that damn rooster. I'm determined to outlive him so I can make chicken and dumplings. Probably will be the best thing I ever eat...
Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Yes, but your live chickens were in clean, healthy conditions to begin with. When you are eating factory-farmed chickens, where the ones on the bottom racks are literally being shit on by the chickens above them all day, your chicken is much more likely to be contaminated right out of the package.
Have you ever slaughtered chickens? I have a friend who raises truly free range chickens with plenty of open land for them to roam. Everything about any chicken's life is filthy and shit covered.

I'll upload a photo essay I made of the slaughtering process if you like.

Rinse those fuckers. Twice.

For serious reals.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #14
Aliantha

When Dad kills his chooks, they get dunked in the boiler before they're plucked, then they get washed afterwards too. I reckon his chooks are pretty clean by the time they get to the kitchen.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

In the huge chicken farming operations around here, bldgs 200 feet wide by 600-1200 feet long, the chickens do not 'shit on one another'. The chicken shit is fed to a water/conveyor set-up, and moved outside to be collected and removed.

As usual, YMMV.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote