The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #841
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Oh come on... that's a cheap shot.

What are you trying to say ?
One of the main arguments justifying OWS is that income disparity has been increasing rapidly over the past 20 - 30 years. UT's graph shows that while the top 1% more or less steadily gained a higher percentage of income, besides late 80's and early 00's, that the great recession actually hurt the 1% harder in proportion terms.

While it does slightly invalidate OWS's argument, especially against the argument that the top 1% weren't affected by the recession at all, it doesn't predict the future and it doesn't take the sensitivity difference from income loss into account either, your argument that people in the middle and lower class are hurt more from a 10% drop in income than someone in the upper class is from a 20% drop. From the graph, I would guess that the top 1% would continue their increase at some point and eventually pass their previous highest income share percentage.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #842
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

looking inside the top 1% is an enlightening exercise.
The disparity within that subset is HUGE.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #843
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
While it does slightly invalidate OWS's argument, especially against the argument that the top 1% weren't affected by the recession at all,
A 40% loss among the 1% is only chump change. Virtually no adverse affect. A 10% loss among the lower 50% is a major financial problem.

The American standard of living and resulting economic power comes from the lower 50%. Who are, BTW, the source of most future jobs. When the 99% got richer, American was more powerful. When income disparity increases, recessions are created. Jobs are lost. And the country recedes economically, militarily, and becomes politically less stable.

One reason why American was so desireable to immigrants. The little people are the source of American wealth, innovation, and power. A diminishing reality since America has lately and slowly started to become more like other less desireable countries. Where the rich get wealthy at the expense of all others.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #844
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

You missed the next part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45
it doesn't take the sensitivity of income loss into account either, your argument that people in the middle and lower class are hurt more from a 10% drop in income than someone in the upper class is from a 20% drop
Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #845
classicman

Quote:
See tw's user title.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #846
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Keep forgetting that.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #847
classicman

Old 02-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #848
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
A 40% loss among the 1% is only chump change. Virtually no adverse affect. A 10% loss among the lower 50% is a major financial problem.

The American standard of living and resulting economic power comes from the lower 50%. Who are, BTW, the source of most future jobs. When the 99% got richer, American was more powerful. When income disparity increases, recessions are created. Jobs are lost. And the country recedes economically, militarily, and becomes politically less stable.

One reason why American was so desireable to immigrants. The little people are the source of American wealth, innovation, and power. A diminishing reality since America has lately and slowly started to become more like other less desireable countries. Where the rich get wealthy at the expense of all others.
Yep, like I said, the weight loss analogy.

Thanks tw!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #849
tw

Quote:
I didn't miss any part. My post exactly replies to that. Which part did you not understand?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #850
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I'm not concerned so much with how much more rich the rich are than the rest of us, as I am with whether there is the genuine opportunity for upward mobility in our society, or whether one must already be above a certain income level before one can expect to become significantly richer.
Who's responsibility is it that these opportunities occur?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #851
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It is the government's job to ensure that the economic system we work under remains vibrant. To that end, they should and do have the power to do things like break up monopolies, prosecute cases of fraud or exploitation, shut down the stock market for periods of time when hysteria rather than rationality is ruling the trading floor, and otherwise perform checks on the system to keep it within a general middle ground.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #852
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
It is the government's job to ensure that the economic system we work under remains vibrant. To that end, they should and do have the power to do things like break up monopolies, prosecute cases of fraud or exploitation, shut down the stock market for periods of time when hysteria rather than rationality is ruling the trading floor, and otherwise perform checks on the system to keep it within a general middle ground.
Generally I would agree on principle. None of those powers are given to the Federal Government in the Constitution. But that does not extend to bailouts and spending of taxpayer dollars on failed programs.

Quote:
...as I am with whether there is the genuine opportunity for upward mobility in our society...
And how does the first paragraph assign responsibility to ensure this opportunity. The Federal government does not have the power to do this.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #853
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
And how does the first paragraph assign responsibility to ensure this opportunity.
The 1996 Federal Communication Act gave all an opportunity to become profitable internet providers. Large numbers of companies were founded because 1) the incumbent providers refused to provide broadband internet access, and 2) the American people were being denied technology that should have been available 15 years earlier.

Because of that Federal law, DSL (a 1981 technology) finally was implemented after 1996. Internet on cable and fiber optics quickly followed.

Then Michael Powell, et al took over the FCC. Subverted the 1996 Federal Communication Act to destroy all but the two 'chosen' providers in any region. As a result, innovative companies (ie Covad, Dieca Communications, NorthPoint Communications, Rhythms NetConnections, PSInet) were bankrupted. America has dropped from an internet world leader to somewhere below 20. Jobs, increased productivity, free market competition, and commercial opportunities all lost when a political agenda was intentionally implemented to protect the 'chosen' two.

Comcast then intentionally tried to subvert network neutrality by attacking Skype, Google, BitTorrent, and others. All because free market competition was subverted by a political agenda during the Michael Powell reign.

1996 Federal law made opportunity possible by destroying protected monopolies that refused to innovate. Refused for 15 years to install current technologies. Threatening companies such as Bell Atlantic and Time Warner by forcing them to innovate; due to laws that made possible and encouraged free market competition. Laws that stopped them from subverting packet switching to protect their obsolete technology circuit switched hardware.

Today, the 'chosen' companies no longer need to innovate. Laws restored so that free market competition can no longer survive. The duopoly is again doing only what is in their own interest - at the expense of customers and the nation. Protected by laws to enrich them at the expense of innovators and consumers.

Last edited by tw; 02-11-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #854
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary
And how does the first paragraph assign responsibility to ensure this opportunity. The Federal government does not have the power to do this.
It's true that the power is not specifically enumerated in the Constitution. But many laws have been added since then, as the founders did intend, including the powers listed above to break up monopolies, etc. Whether those laws should ever be repealed is also something the authors intended for us to always have the power to consider. Personally, I think the laws are still relevant and important to our society, and if anything the Federal government should be working harder to apply them more thoroughly.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #855
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

How about preventing insider trading by our lawmakers? How about preventing lawmakers from actively voting on laws from which they personally will benefit? How about remove corporate financing of campaigns? It's quite simple really.

How about making the political process more about ALL of the people these representatives are supposed to represent, and not just the ones that can do them a favor? Eliminate the deck-stacking in favor of the top echelons and start paying attention to what will benefit the MOST members of one's constituency...

I'm not in favor of handouts. But I think our political system is heavily skewed and the lower/middle classes are getting screwed as a result.