The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-30-2017, 01:49 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Apr 30th, 2017: SNEK!

Everyone with intelligence and the power of reason knows that snakes are Demon Serpents, Distilled Evil sent from the
Pits of Hell to Murder and Maim Babies... and other living things.

The Copperhead is a minor player.
Quote:
Venom from copperheads is not deadly, and when people die from copperhead snake bites it is due to an allergic reaction. People who are weak or either very old or very young may experience a significant impact on their body functions from a copperhead snake bite.
You want that in English? If you die it's your fault for being a pussy.
And hell, they only account for 37% of US venomous snake bites, although in the Carolinas it's 64%.
Quote:
Copperhead Snake bites are rather painful, and experts suggest that you seek medical advice after a bite.
Well, duh, you are in for 10 days of living in the hell that sent that serpent.
For pets, the fatality rate is very high. A buddies dog got bit on lower jaw and the only thing that saved him was the U of FL
vet school and a big pile of cash.

So I think we can agree it's best for you and pets to avoid Copperheads.
Here's one in plain sight.

What, you can't see it? You will if you or a pet steps on it.
If you need help look here.

Link
Old 04-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
Snakeadelic
Banned

A perfect example of the popular serpentine hunting strategy "look like a pile of dead leaves and wait for something the right size to wander within striking range." This is a hugely successful strategy used by venomous snakes worldwide; it's amazing to look at a picture of a Gaboon viper in captivity and marvel at their intricate markings...and then see a picture of dead leaves next to an African water hole and realize there's actually a FIVE FOOT LONG viper as thick as a man's thigh in the middle of that pile of dead leaves. Luckily, copperheads don't get nearly that big.

The only other Agkistrodon snake in the US doesn't usually ambush-hunt on land. Agkistrodon piscivorus (the species name literally translates to "eater of fish") is the dreaded cottonmouth, which isn't much more dangerous venom-wise than the copperhead. All the really dangerous Agkistrodons, the cantils, are Central and South American snakes, as is my absolute favorite "pile of leaves" ambush hunter, which is not a copperhead.

My vote for 'funniest and most appropriate Latin name for a reptile' goes to Lachesis muta, the Central American bushmaster. The Latin translates to 'silent fate'! Although...don't believe everything you read about how vicious and high-strung these eight-foot-long pit vipers are supposed to be. Many years back, Reptiles Magazine received and published a field trip report from some herpers who went to Costa Rica to find bushmasters. One of the guys was a hundred yards outside camp on a well-used trail, taking pictures of an unusually dark boa constrictor, when another one told him "take two very large steps either forward or back right now."

As they were all experienced snake freaks, the photographer did as told. When he turned around to look back where he'd been standing, he could barely remember to take a photo. Not only had they found a seven-foot bushmaster, supposedly one of the most vicious and irritable snakes in the local jungles, he had been standing on its spine while photographing the boa. When he moved, it just kind of raised its head, flicked its tongue a few times, and then casually wandered off into the brush. So much for the hair-trigger temper!

Last edited by Snakeadelic; 04-30-2017 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Punctuation is important!
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
MtnDsrt
Lead Subordinate

Could it be that when they've just eaten they are less active or aggressive? While hiking in Canyonlands some years ago, I stepped right over two full grown rattlesnakes. I didn't even see them till my companion pointed out what I had done...
MtnDsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Or the time of day/year made them lethargic, being Cold Blooded Killers.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

I saw this pic a few years ago and saved it:

http://imgur.com/gallery/hJI1fsQ

After many viewings, I still have to look hard; that link also has a hint. Today's may be even harder.
Another reason to stay in California.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I just ran across this one the other day:

Name:  snake.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  121.5 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I find that I find copperheads hidden in pictures by looking for triangles.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ooh, snap!

It's the same pic as in Bruce's post, rotated ninety degrees.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
Pamela
Deplorable

Copperheads can also be smelled. They are redolent (been waiting years to use that word!) of cucumbers. That's how I found one in my front yard, hiding in leaves near a fallen tree. The pygmy rattlesnake that I also evicted was easier... it rattled at me and I froze and looked until I spotted the lil rascal.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Ooh, snap!

It's the same pic as in Bruce's post, rotated ninety degrees.
Yes these pictures have been all over the net this week, probably because young men's fancy has been distracted by spring. I rotated them 90 degrees to cut down scrolling.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
Copperheads can also be smelled. They are redolent (been waiting years to use that word!) of cucumbers. .
maybe that's why all the cats on facebook/youtube don't like cucumbers?
Old 04-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ah yes, good point monster! I'd seen those cat videos freaking out over cukes, and wondered why.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

We saw a really nice black snake on the Delaware Water Gap yesterday. Lil Pete said that was the biggest one she'd seen in the wild. She is not a snake fan. She also didn't like it when I told her I saw a bigger one when we built the house. Maybe that's why we don't have a rat problem. You guys can keep your copperheads, I prefer a kind snake.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hmm, are you sure that Villainous Serpent from Hell wasn't wearing a costume to sneak into Sakura-Con?

I'm a Viper, he's a Viper,
she's a Viper, we're a Viper!
Wouldn't you like to be a viper too?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
maybe that's why all the cats on facebook/youtube don't like cucumbers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Ah yes, good point monster! I'd seen those cat videos freaking out over cukes, and wondered why.
Nope.

The cats don't do a thing if they don't see the cuke. If they didn't see it, it doesn't exist.