The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 07-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #871
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Have you tried one of the fat tire bikes? They look like they would bounce over any little bumps but would be a little soft in the turns.
I swapped bikes with a fellow traveler for a short run on one of those. The tires soak up most everything so it is a cushy ride. It seemed to corner really well. They are heavy as shit for climbing though and are really inefficient for pedaling.

Yeah the intentional move to throw-away parts is really annoying and expensive. The front suspension fork and disc brakes are two actual improvements although I have not gone disc yet. My XT shifters circa 2000 are better than the same level 10 years later...
Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #872
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
What about how huge the bikes are? My MTN bike frame is a 19 or 20 inch compared to my road frame which is a 24. It is sparrow-like compared to the newer bikes and I felt it was pretty tight on the course I rode the other day. I can't imagine being on one of those behemoths.

The handle bars were at least 8" wider. Also, what's up with the tubes? Do the big rectangular tubes make the bike frame lighter? I note that the manufacturers don't mention weight on their websites, they instead make some specious claim like, "Weights can vary depending on how the bike is set up..."

Yeah, OK but why not just list weights for frame sets by size? Like they used to? Whenever I see shit like that it makes me think they are being intentionally vague in order to hide the truth. If the information was a selling point it would be on their splash page.

Are these big tubes lighter?

Another thing the sales guy told me was that higher end bikes tended to have single chain rings in front and multies in back. Great for climbing (reduction gears) but I'm guessing coasting downhill and or very little movement on the flats- so essentially a specialty bike instead of a bike that could do OK on pavement.

So the trillion gear freewheels seem to be big, but after 6 gears does one need to cut the ratios that finely? It's not like humans are optimized for an extremely narrow range of RPM that we need so much gearing to compensate, or are we? Usually, it was a question of speeding down as fast as possible and then downshifting to the correct gear to power up the other side. I've only had one derailleur in my life that could reliably downshift under power and that was a Huret Duopar Titane. A sad day when that died.

Are new derailleurs better? Can you shift under power?
Old 07-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #873
Griff
still says videotape

The bars are wicked wide. That doesn't work for me slaloming trees. The FS bikes do seem bigger to me. The kids are riding downhill pump style so weight and pedaling are generally not part of it. They labor on climbs, burn gas, or push. The gear ratios are pretty good on a 2x10 and maybe even a 1x10 but I'd miss the big chain dump on the front when an unexpected climb pops up or the big ring if you get caught on a road somewhere. It does create a little clearance for log crossing.

I've done some bitching about what's become of one of my favorite trail networks because they won't get off my yard groomed some of the best climbs for high speed downhills then throw the bikes in a shop van for work free cycling. There are some hardcore xc kids out there but the bulk market is for all mountain bikes. The money being spent for a quality xc bike is pretty insane. I've been plotting building up my '92 Jamis as a kickass xc bike but my head tube is not compatible with modern suspension forks.

What brand bikes are you seeing with the rectangular tubing? The bikes I'm seeing tend to be ovalized except for the chain stays which they claim are stiffer.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #874
Griff
still says videotape

The derailleurs seem pretty reliable when new but after some wear?

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb...t-ride-review/
Old 07-31-2016, 02:42 PM   #875
Griff
still says videotape

I asked my buddy about his 1x. He misses the big ring except when log crossing
Old 07-31-2016, 05:43 PM   #876
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Some of the guys I rode with used their big rings to climb over the logs. They'd approach the log, pop the front over and line up their pedals so the left pedal was up and then use the teeth to grip into the log and go over that way.

This was Vermont and we were bike mechanics so parts and repairs were relatively cheap. We customized our bikes for our riding styles. Mostly what we'd do was go out into the woods and see how long we could bike without touching our foot to the ground. It was follow the leader and the leader would choose the course as he went. (no stinky girls allowed!)

One course was about 200 feet of a dry creek bed. Stones the ranging in size from grapefruits to basketballs. No more than one person made it per ride, but eventually all of us had one perfect run, if I recall.

As for the rectangular tubes, the inch tells me they are on Giant bikes.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #877
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
The derailleurs seem pretty reliable when new but after some wear?

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb...t-ride-review/
Damn. Maybe I'll keep my frame and just update the wheels when they finally die. I'm not sure I can get brake pads anymore for my dia comps.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:47 PM   #878
Griff
still says videotape

Are they the posts or the threaded. I think you can still get the post type new. You can ebay for NOS (new old stock) to dig up needed parts. They're out there.

If you're comfortable on your old bike I'd say keep her running at least until you know what you want.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:35 PM   #879
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

They're posts for the cantilever brakes. I just checked and it looks like the new pads will fit, I need to check the diameter of the post to be sure.

I'm pretty happy with my bike, my son is badgering me to upgrade. In any event, a new bike is at the end of a long line of expenditures. A very long line.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #880
Griff
still says videotape

I just searched your bike on google images, truly old school cool.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #881
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I have plastic clip on fenders now, I don't remember what happened to my Bluemels, I also swapped out the steel bull moose handlebars for a straight-ish True Temper CroMo bar, Also swapped out the pedals for Wellgo platform pedals, and of course lost that POS saddle for an Ideale P-39 That just keeps getting better with age. The current tires are MIchelin Country Rock road tires.

I was retro 35 years ago; I was the only guy still wearing wool and chamois cycling shorts, and for the record they are better than lycra *coughemporersnewclothescough* by far.

Mine didn't come with a shoulder strap nor braze-ons to accept one.

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistory.../1184Ross3.jpg
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #882
Griff
still says videotape

How crazy has mtb gotten about gear?

http://www.evo.com/how-to-choose-a-mountain-bike.aspx
Old 08-24-2016, 06:21 AM   #883
Griff
still says videotape

So don't tell Pete but some dude from Ithaca wrecked on my favorite trail system and has like 15 broken bones and a gofundme page...
Old 08-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #884
glatt

Be careful.

Or have fun, ride fast, and take chances.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #885
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That sounds really painful. I wonder how the extraction went.