The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #31
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
snicker
Old 06-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Attached Images

Old 06-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #33
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Well, no one is going to tell you what everyone is thinking about that. We know what a sensitive gal you are and that you would find it to be too soon, in poor taste/distasteful, and finger waving. I'm going to post it now for everyone else; but, you are not to read it for at least another week. The text will be very small, subdued, upside down and backwards. At this time, you are not to highlight this post, turn your screen upside down or read it in a mirror. There will be no by accident! Everyone else can read it anytime they want.

¡ǝɹᴉɟ uo sʇuɐd 'ɹɐᴉl 'ɹɐᴉ˥
Nor should she gaze upon this:
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #34
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Pie nails it

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:36 AM   #35
Pi
desperate finder

SO there was only a fire at WTC and not planes crashing into those towers, which could have a negative impact on the stability of those buildings?
WTF!!!

And I hope Pie was live when going mental! I like that guy!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #36
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
SO there was only a fire at WTC and not planes crashing into those towers, which could have a negative impact on the stability of those buildings?
WTF!!!

The building was designed to withstand an airplane crashing into it, there is an interview with one of the architects who designed it and he explains in detail how the structure works.

Had you paid attention in science class, i.e. physics, you'd understand that a free-falling body with only air resistance is going to fall faster than one that has to smash into the floor below which would absorb energy slowing its descent.

Really basic physics. Known weights, know structural strengths, known constant of gravity. The time it took the buildings to collapse was the same time it takes a free-falling object to make the same trip.

Every time a floor hit another floor energy and speed were robbed. There's no way those buildings could collapse that fast with out help.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #37
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

He's character from the Fake News we had running on Channel 4 a little while ago (in honour of Trump :P) I love his skits.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #38
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Every time a floor hit another floor energy and speed were robbed. There's no way those buildings could collapse that fast with out help.
Speed was minimally robbed, due to the huge differential between the falling mass and the strength of one floor. Energy was added as well as robbed, as the mass from each newly collapsed floor was added to the falling mass.

With that much falling mass, no hollow structure will stand up to it. Once it starts to fall, it will fall at barely less than terminal velocity.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #39
DanaC

I honestly think we ascribe way too much competence and organisational ability to the powers that be if we think they'd have been able to keep a secret that big.

Back to Grenfell - this lawyer chap speaks truth.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #40
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I honestly think we ascribe way too much competence and organisational ability to the powers that be if we think they'd have been able to keep a secret that big.
Ahh, of course. This explains why the Manhattan Project was such an abject failure; too many chatty Cathys just spilled the beans and let the whole world know what we are up to. That's why we are all speaking German and Japanese.

Compartmentalizing of knowledge. I'm sure you haven't a clue what goes on in your company in the upper echelons.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #41
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Ahh, of course. This explains why the Manhattan Project was such an abject failure;
Well known that Challenger o'rings. Also well known was that no engineer said it was safe to launch that space shuttle. Murder? No. So many naive and extremists were told it was an accident. Of course it was not. But you cannot convince the naive and extremists of truth once they were told what to believe.

Extremist logic even invents WTC disaster. What were extremists told to believe about Grenfell? We will live with those lies for another 20 years.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:33 AM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Ahh, of course. This explains why the Manhattan Project was such an abject failure; too many chatty Cathys just spilled the beans and let the whole world know what we are up to. That's why we are all speaking German and Japanese.
Actually quite a few knew or had strong suspicions we were building a secret super weapon. They didn't know exactly what it was or how devastating it would be, but even if they did what were they going to do about it?
Old 06-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #43
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Actually quite a few knew or had strong suspicions we were building a secret super weapon.
The Germans and Russians even knew it was called the Manhattan Project. I know it is true. It was stated on "Hogan's Heroes".
Old 06-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #44
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Setting aside the physics and engineering and demolition details for a minute, can you summarize the explanation for the planes that crashed into the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania?
Old 07-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #45
tw

Any high rise building without sprinklers on every floor is a death trap - to both occupants and firemen. That problem existed even in the MGM Grand (Las Vegas), Coconut Grove (Boston), Triangle Shirtwaist factory (New York), Ghost Ship Warehouse (Oakland), and in a Beverly Hills Supper Club (Cincinnati) fire. Add Marco Polo condominiums (Honolulu). Fire in one room took out three floors before firemen finally stopped it.

Well, at least they did not route natural gas lines in the fire escape stairways.