The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Man Caves

This isn't exactly Current Events, and it is sort of entertaining, but I put it here. This is sort of in my back yard, certainly my old stomping grounds. Another news story reported that hte guys changed OGS (Office of General Services) to Office of Ganja Services.

At a conference of New Urbanist planners and theorists, in 2006, the architect Andrés Duany identified a budding crisis in American life: the decline of “male space,” which he defined as zones “where the enthusiasms of Super Bowl day are unchecked year-round,” and where “the men are not factually corrected when they exaggerate.” The den, with its knotty-pine panelling and mounted moose heads, used to suffice, before it was subjected to a cultural makeover and emerged as the “family room,” relegating Dad to the garage. Then Sheetrock and the Container Store, with its “completely insidious” plastic cabinets, conspired to feminize the garage, and man was effectively neutered. The recession hasn’t helped. Men, according to Forbes, are dropping out of the workforce in disproportionate numbers, only to discover that they lack refuge.

Which brings us to Albany, site of the great political tragicomedy of the summer, and last week’s news that state police had raided an illicit rec room in the Capitol complex. The Inspector General’s office, in a press release announcing the discovery, called it a “man cave,” conjuring up images of a dimly lit basement with stained upholstery and an overabundance of electronics. Using tarps, a couple of janitorial workers on the night shift had cordoned off a corner of a state-owned parking garage, which was stocked with sofas, fridges, a TV, and the latest copy of Cannabis Culture. There, while on the clock, they allegedly watched DVDs of “M*A*S*H,” rolled joints, and napped, confirming the worst stereotypes of government workers and also of Albany: even the men responsible for literally cleaning up the Capitol’s mess turn out to have been under the sway of a corrupting influence, playing hooky. (The men deny any wrongdoing and call the hubbub overblown.) The same day the Post took note of the cave, it reported poor attendance records for fourteen elected members of the State Assembly—this, after nearly five weeks in which the State Senate allowed a partisan dispute to prevent it from addressing any legislation at all.
“These cats were escaping a code of behavior that probably was not male enough,” Duany said the other day. He’d seen a picture of the janitors’ lair, and likened it to the Victorian idea of a growlery: a room in which to grouch and put your feet up. “If females had inhabited this space, and outfitted it with neat chairs and a mirror and a makeup cabinet, it would be, ‘Oh, the poor women; it’s because we didn’t give them a sitting room,’ ” he said. “There would be absolute sympathy.” Instead, there is outrage, over the twenty-eight thousand dollars in overtime paid to the cavemen in the past five years.
Some leavening perspective does seem to be in order. One of the janitors, after nine years on the job, was earning less than thirty thousand dollars a year. Meanwhile, a pay-to-play scandal haunts the hundred-billion-dollar state pension fund. Duany granted that the “New York Senate scene seems pretty male,” but called the level of discourse that occurs in government “superficially civilized,” and pointed to the removal of spittoons and canes as a contributing factor in the decline. “The public life is oppressive,” he said. “Men need to be able to refine their ‘fish that got away’ stories, exaggerating without bragging. It’s about what a pathetic creature you are. ‘I saw the most beautiful bear, and I missed, because I tripped over my underwear.’ ”
“This is not a trivial subject,” Duany added. “We worry about the thirteen per cent African-Americans and fifteen per cent Hispanics. Well, there’s fifty per cent males who are very ill served by our physical environment.” Those fifty per cent, it may be worth noting, include Mark Sanford, the South Carolina governor, who was moved, long before he fled to his mistress in Argentina, to dig giant holes in his back yard. He needed a cave. ♦

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2009/0...#ixzz192L4iwPo

Last edited by footfootfoot; 12-24-2010 at 07:56 AM.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Yard, that is awesome on too many levels.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yes, maybe it's too late for this year's man cave, but next Christmas...

The TV Watch

Ye Olde Yule Log Now Blazes in 3-D
By ALESSANDRA STANLEY
Published: December 23, 2010
Quote:
But it does exist and it can be seen, albeit only through special 3-D glasses.

If you watch the 3-D yule log on an HD television without the special glasses,
what appears after all the warnings are two identical images of the fire,
one over the other, which at best make viewers think they have had way too much to drink.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

"...subjected to a cultural makeover and emerged as the 'family room',”

"...conspired to feminize the garage"

Uh, and who did this? Women? Fuck no, these pussified bastards did this to themselves.

Quote:
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame,
But I know, it's my own damn fault.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
"...subjected to a cultural makeover and emerged as the 'family room',”

"...conspired to feminize the garage"

Uh, and who did this? Women? Fuck no, these pussified bastards did this to themselves.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Was it Denholm Elliot who said "Of course I'm married, do you think I am naturally round shouldered?"
Old 12-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
TheMercenary

The official website. A great place to get away from the women in your life.

http://www.mancavesite.org/
Old 12-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

If my dad didn't have his cave, after his retirement, he and mom probably would have divorced after 50 years of marriage. She likes it as much as he does: he travelled a lot and she is used to not having him underfoot!

I am a firm believer in mancaves. But I want a cave too. Not a "family room" or "living room" but a real honest to goodness space of my own, where I can putter and read and beat a punching bag and play games and drink beer.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
monster
I hear them call the tide

I have an unofficial monster cave. The compuer desk is so messy everyone else is scared to approach, so we just got them another desk and computer and I burrowed in here. If we ever excavated the site we'd probably find bones and other fancy stuff
Old 12-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

This is my man cave, or as Keryx calls it my man room.
Attached Images

Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
TheMercenary

Thread drift...

from the man cave link:

Turtle Burger

http://www.mancavesite.org/ManOVations.htm
Old 12-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That football sofa looks dangerous, it should come with a first aid kit.