The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: Is it no longer funny?
Mocking POTUS will always be fun and is good for the body politic. 8 61.54%
Mocking POTuS is still funny. 0 0%
Mocking POTUS is luke warm for me. 2 15.38%
Mocking POTUS leaves me uneasy. 2 15.38%
Mocking POTUS weakens all of us. 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Is mocking Donald no longer funny?

I tried to watch a TIVOed Colbert a couple nights ago. He is still on Donald, who I really do despise. I don't, however, find anything funny in the schtick anymore. This isn't Gerry Ford falling down the stairs. For someone who really wanted to be an anarchist years ago, I seem to have an unhealthy respect for the potential of the Executive office. I'm wondering if it's old for any of you guys. Is there any value in it? I can't help but think these comedians would be oh so respectful if the other crime family had won.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I disagree. I think if the other family had won and presented as disastrous a first 100 days they'd have ripped them to shreds. had either side won and presented as ill-quipped, uneducated, inconsistent and incompetent a face to the watching world, they'd have ripped them to shreds.

Bush was bad, at times, in the face he showed to the camera, and the people he surrounded himself with seemed dangerous and far more powerful than the president himself, but this administration?... is a car crash. The president is tweeting random declarations of policy and intent, accusation and proffered proof based on the rantings of tv conspiracy theorists. Watching his people try to explain his thought process to the world is painful.

And that's before any mention of the Russia thing. Or the trampling all over historic ties of diplomacy and friendship with other nations. Random fucking sideswipes, like the refusal to shake Merkel's hand.

I'd say keep that light shining right onto the political shenanigans - and mock it to within an inch of its life, it deserves nothing more til the administration demonstrates at least some capacity for rational policy making and political competency.

I think it is absolutely the job of comedians and late night hosts to focus their comedy on the comedy of errors currently in effect in Washington.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

They're just jumping on the simple popularity bandwagon. That's what translates into ratings. If Clinton had won the Presidency and Trump the popular vote, they'd be satirizing her. I tire of any comedian who goes overboard on a comedy theme for easy laughs. I prefer the ones who are well rounded.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
DanaC

Just for clarity - this is not about left v right. This is about a staggering level of unpreparedness and incompetence.

They had 7 fucking years to draft a potential replacement for the ACA. 7 years!

The conservatives in the US, even those leaning marginally right, or just unhappy with how ACA affected their health insurance, had the right to expect that the Republican candidates who campaigned on repeal and replace at the very least had a fucking plan.

The replublicans don't like the current health care system? Then draft a replacement that everyone can live with. You claim it is possible to have a health system that doesn't leave ordinary Americans crippled by insurance costs, allows them the level of choice they want, and doesn't drop millions of Americans outside of cover altogether - then devise a plan to get there your way.

The worst things about Trump and his administration are nothing to do with left and right.

I think the political situation is so surreal that late night comedy is a form of catharsis.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
sexobon

Only in a placebo sort of way.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

From a parliamentarian perspective that makes sense. It seems effective because incompetence can be quickly addressed. The US system isn't built for addressing incompetence. We have the nuclear option which the Presidents own party has to set off. Won't his party push back against the mocking more than the serious presentation of issues? I don't think we've had someone as unhinged as this before. We seem to lack statesmen (McCain?) right now for a serious addressing of the issues, so maybe mocking is our only angle.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Only in a placebo sort of way.
smrt actually
Old 04-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
sexobon

We have a system of checks and balances. It's been working. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

To your initial point, I tried to watch Saturday night live last night. Repeat from Feb 11. Tried. I thought that show was supposed to at least try to make you laugh.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I find sarcastic snark to be joyless comedy, built on exclusion. Intellect-free intellectualism, pretending to be smart. I've never felt less connected to the national funny bone. And I believe it's part of how we got here.

But I'm influenced by my ex, who was endlessly snarky, self-congratulatory about it even, and it was all out of a personal psychology that informed her of how great she was, and how much everything else sucked.

Quote:
If Clinton had won the Presidency and Trump the popular vote, they'd be satirizing her
Ha ha no. Remember when there was a national moratorium on saying ANYTHING bad about her? She literally couldn't focus her eyes correctly due to having suffered a blood clot in her brain -- and in most of the media, this was simply off-limits for discussion.

No, they give the first female Democratic President a pass for two full years.

Quote:
The worst things about Trump and his administration are nothing to do with left and right...

The conservatives in the US, even those leaning marginally right, or just unhappy with how ACA affected their health insurance... Republican candidates... etc...
Nothing to do with left and right, but a scant two sentences later... for two full paragraphs... the right did this, the right the right the right. Then ending with it isn't about left right. You see what you did there?

It's fine, knock yourself out! But can we stop pretending it's not political? Because it totally is.

ETA: if Hillary had failed to pass something healthcare-related, would the late night comics mock her for it? Well that actually happened; let's watch all these clips from 1993 where it's... never even brought up.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

LJ, SNL is enjoying its big resurgence. Everyone says so.

I haven't watched but that's ALL I ever hear about it. So you must be mistaken if you didn't laugh. All channels are telling us that it's a fucking riot.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
... But can we stop pretending it's not political? Because it totally is. ...
You can change that. Just move the thread to Arts & Entertainment.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #13
Flint
Snowflake

Ut, Lj, you two are grumpy old men who don't understand 'what the kids are doing these days,' and attribute it to a decline in moral, intellectual, or creative capabilities--the 'downfall of society'--it's the oldest, WRONGEST fallacy in the book. Life goes on, old men die, new ideas rise up from the ashes of your reverie for the glory days.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 04-02-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
I find sarcastic snark to be joyless comedy, built on exclusion. Intellect-free intellectualism, pretending to be smart.
That may be it.

SNL is weak because it's no longer counter-culture. It is very much a mouth piece of the corporate wing of the Democratic Party.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #15
DanaC

Quote:
I

Nothing to do with left and right, but a scant two sentences later... for two full paragraphs... the right did this, the right the right the right. Then ending with it isn't about left right. You see what you did there?

It's fine, knock yourself out! But can we stop pretending it's not political? Because it totally is.
Yes... I mentioned the Republicans because they are the party in power - that's the point. And if it were the democrats in power and being this unbelievably pathetic, it would be the democratic party deserving of scorn.

Let me put it another way: My criticism of the Republicans isn't because of them being on the right in this instance, it is because they are making a egregious mess.