The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #871
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
We're all missing the other possibility: he has an invisible dog.
Reminds me of that old story about a man standing outside a bar with his dog, telling people his dog can talk. Patrons coming and going past him just figure he's drunk; but, one of them says "I'll bet you ten dollars that dog can't talk." The owner accepts, looks at his dog and says "Dog, what's on top of a house?" The dog says "rrrrrrrrrrooof" and its owner says "That's right, a roof is on top of a house." The owner demands $10 from the patron who pays him. The patron figures the same thing couldn't happen again and tells the owner to ask the dog another question, the bet to be double or nothing. The owner nods, looks at his dog and says "Dog, what does sandpaper feel like?" The dog says "rrrrrrrrrrruff" and its owner says "That's right, sandpaper feels rough." The patron again pays the owner; but, demands yet another chance to recoup his losses, only this time the patron insists on being the one who asks the dog a question figuring that way he can't possibly lose. The dog's owner reluctantly agrees. The patron looks at the dog and says "Dog, who was the 25th President of the United States?" The dog looks up at him and says "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrMcKinley?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #872
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Has the pawn shop, being in that location, had any veterans come in to pawn their old military stuff since you've been there?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #873
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Being in that location, many veterans of the crack wars of 1987 have sold off their vintage pipes.

Not one single solitary military item. Not one. Unless you count katanas, which we don't take anyway.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #874
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
What's the price range/availability of a laptop with a fairly large screen/keyboard, good graphics card, and lots o' trilobites of RAM?

I'm cool with windexing.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #875
glatt

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. We could use a new used laptop. Our old ones are so freaking slow, the kids refuse to use them. I hate using them too. And they both need to get on the computer to do homework now, so there is quarreling for the desktop.

I was looking at ebay factory refurbished/off lease Dells with Windows 7, and they seem to be going in the $250 range. The Latitude E6410 is catching my eye. It seems to have been a nice machine 2-3 years ago, and is still probably pretty good.

I was just looking up the value of my two old Dell Latitude D610 laptops, and they seem to be going on ebay in the range of $20 to $70, depending on condition. A lot of delusional people not selling them for $150 or so. That's for an 8 year old laptop. Maybe I should sell some of this old stuff when I get a newer laptop. I also have an old desktop.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #876
monster
I hear them call the tide

I hate my laptop it's slower than flint

It's a Dell Dinosaur. I might dump it in the pillowcase of some uncostumed adult who comes to the door tomorrow night if I run out of crappy candy
Old 10-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #877
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Here are all the working laptops I've sold recently. Right now there are 36 of them on the list, which covers the last 3 months.

At the shop we use Completed Listings extensively to set prices and establish values.

You can see, the prices for laptops are falling fast and it's crazy. They are competing against tablets. I can't believe that my last week's listing of

Quote:
Available for sale is a HP G42-415DX notebook/laptop computer.

This system is a bit dirty, but is otherwise in excellent physical condition. Two minutes of Windexing will restore this unit to "9 out of 10" condition. There are no major scrapes or scuffs, especially on corners where they show if a laptop is dropped. The screen is dirty but not scratched. There are no shiny signs of wear on the trackpad or keyboard. The screen hinges are solid. Two of the rubber feet on the bottom are missing.

This laptop doesn't have its charger cable. A replacement charger can be found right here on eBay, from US sellers, for under $10 shipped.
This item went for $130. Because it has a lot of things that people don't want. AMD processor, 14" screen instead of a 15". 3GB of memory instead of 4. Not great battery time. No charger, they had to buy an aftermarket one.

OK it was a low-end model. But... $130?? It was $530 at Best Buy, and $299 Refurb at Newegg when it came out... TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO.

My Windexing scale goes from 1 to 5 minutes...
Old 10-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #878
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Even if you go for a new laptop, you might get a ghetto version.

Dell users: Latitude 6430u laptops 'smell of cat urine'
Old 10-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #879
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Is that ASUS X83V 15.6" Notebook a good computer?

If so, I'll go for it.

eta: Is it wrong of me to assume that I can connect to wifi with this unit out of the box? The idea behind the purchase is so I can connect to the net from wifi since I can't do that at home.

Last edited by footfootfoot; 10-31-2013 at 07:11 AM.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #880
glatt

Did you see the picture in the second row of pictures for that one computer? It showed the "Windows Experience Index" for that Asus is a 4.9, on a 1-8 scale.

I had never heard of such a thing, so I ran the same performance test for my desktop PC at work, and my Desktop PC got a 3.6 because it has a crappy graphics card. So that laptop is as good as my work PC, and I think my work PC is pretty good.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #881
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Did you see the picture in the second row of pictures for that one computer? It showed the "Windows Experience Index" for that Asus is a 4.9, on a 1-8 scale.

I had never heard of such a thing, so I ran the same performance test for my desktop PC at work, and my Desktop PC got a 3.6 because it has a crappy graphics card. So that laptop is as good as my work PC, and I think my work PC is pretty good.
Thanks. I'll check that on this puter at school to get an idea.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #882
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That should be a fine unit. There's nothing particularly "second tier" about that year's ASUSes, compared to your HPs and Toshibas and whatnot. I like that type of keyboard more than some others. As we see the Apple items fetch between 100% and 250% more than similar systems just due to the brand; and as a brand, ASUS is a bit of a sleeper.

It's a great price, and if you don't like it, you can eBay it out yourself and get most of your money back. You can depend on my manager's packing, and if you tell them you're a friend of mine he will pack it even better.

I recommend telling him you're my friend. Even if you aren't, it's a benefit to everyone involved.

You will absolutely be able to do WiFi with this, or with any recent laptop. You can get internet service to your home and have WiFi there too.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #883
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Cool! I hope it is still there when I am back from lunch
Old 10-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #884
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

actually, I just bought it. I'll sell it to you for $189!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #885
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
That should be a fine unit.
Heh heh, heh heh.

He said "unit!"

[/Beavis]

eta: Making a Beavis reference really pegs me as middle aged. I gotta stop doing that, but I can't help it.