Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #1246
Griff
still says videotape

Bah! Sorry.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #1247
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

50 seconds to answer? That's not long enough!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #1248
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Fucking recruiters with their 'video interview' bollocks. Like being asked interview questions isn't stressful enough without having '60 seconds to prepare and then recording will start automatically' and 50 seconds to answer 'and recording will stop automatically'.

Fucking hateful. Hate it, hate it, hate it. It's a horrible experience.

I do not expect I'll be invited to the face to face interviews on the basis of the answers I gave :P

'Give an example of a time you went above and beyond for a customer - hint: what did you do? What was the outcome? What did the customer think of your performance? What do you think is important in customer service?'

Fucking horrible.
a video interview? wtf? how lazy and impersonal. if you ever have to do it again, mention the time you took time out of your day to help a customer personally even though they were supposed to use a video/online chat interface.

That said, these are standard customer service industry questions, so at least this gave you the heads up for the sort of question you might need to prepare for.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #1249
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They're looking for glib fast talkers who won't let the pigeon get a word in edgewise. That would make me wonder about the ethics of their business model.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #1250
anonymous
Operations Operative

Why buy a dog and bark yourself?
Why engage a skilled linguist to edit the (already good) translation of your powerful and moving text if you're going to tinker with the results to ensure that it reads like a translation, and has far less impact as a result.
Why on earth would a professional linguist and native speaker of a language have a better understanding of the implications and nuances of the words and phrases they suggest than any dictionary or simplistic word search on the Internet or assumption based on the word in the original language which resembles the translator's suggestion but is a linguistic "false friend"?

Last edited by anonymous; 06-15-2016 at 06:41 AM.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #1251
glatt

Years ago, in college, I tried my hand at translating a poem from German.

It was actually kind of fun. I translated it directly into English, and completely ruined the flow and feeling of the poem. This beautiful poem became awkward and forced. So I decided to rework the poem to keep the imagery and overall meaning but chose words that flowed better and fit the structure of the poem. Basically, I translated it twice. Once from German to English, and once from English into pretty English.

I gained huge respect for good translations after that exercise.

Reminds me of another story.

We had a patent case go to trial, and the original documents were in Japanese so both parties had translators in the court room. We were trying to show that the inventors made this amazing discovery, and the other team was trying to say the discovery was nothing special. The original Japanese documents described the discovery with a Japanese word that meant "better than" or "superior" or something like that. The judge stopped the witness testimony at one point when he realized the importance of the translation of this one word and he asked each translator to explain the meaning of the word. They were throwing different English words out and the lawyers on each side were kind of coaching them to come up with meanings that helped their side. Our translator explained that the Japanese word is a word of motion and that it evokes jumping or leaping and so she offered up "leaps and bounds better" as a translation. The other teams' translator got so excited about this translation, because it captured the feeling of the word, that she readily agreed that this was the correct meaning before looking to her team's attorneys for their approval. They were not pleased. "leaps and bounds better" is not a phrase you want to have recognized by the court as the correct translation when you are trying to downplay the importance of a discovery.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #1252
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post

Why buy a dog and bark yourself?
Why engage a skilled linguist to edit the (already good) translation of your powerful and moving text if you're going to tinker with the results to ensure that it reads like a translation, and has far less impact as a result.
Why on earth would a professional linguist and native speaker of a language have a better understanding of the implications and nuances of the words and phrases they suggest than any dictionary or simplistic word search on the Internet or assumption based on the word in the original language which resembles the translator's suggestion but is a linguistic "false friend"?
I know the thing you talk exact.

"I've got a nephew who is really into photography and just got a new camera, let's have him to do the photos."
"My girlfriend was very artsy in high school, she can design the brochure."

The thing I find it hard to wrap my mind around and even harder to accept is the truth that people only want 70% and if you give them 80% they will think it is 100% because that is all they are capable of seeing/appreciating/understanding.

That, and every asshole with a hammer thinks he's a carpenter.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #1253
nowhereman
sliding down the razor blade of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I know the thing you talk exact.

"I've got a nephew who is really into photography and just got a new camera, let's have him to do the photos."
"My girlfriend was very artsy in high school, she can design the brochure."

The thing I find it hard to wrap my mind around and even harder to accept is the truth that people only want 70% and if you give them 80% they will think it is 100% because that is all they are capable of seeing/appreciating/understanding.

That, and every asshole with a hammer thinks he's a carpenter.
The thing that bothers me most about all of this is that there is no respect/appreciation for a craft that one (foot3, myself and others) have taken a lifetime to become proficient at. It has become too easy to churn out mediocre work that most will accept as good.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #1254
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Glatt, what was the poem? Was it Der Erlkonig?

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #1255
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Pico!!!!!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #1256
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Hi Grav!

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #1257
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hey Pico.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #1258
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Hi Bruce

Old 07-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #1259
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hi Pico.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #1260
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Fargon

Tags
limburger