The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-23-2004, 11:42 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

The importance of Why?

The five question. Who What Where When Why and How? 4 are short answer questions.

Who did it?...someone did.

What? ....what we're asking about.

Where? ....everything happens somewhere(s)

When? .....time is linear. quantifiable

How? .....what series of events occured

All can be defined and proven scientifically.

Why? Sometimes we never find out.

And Why is what really matters. The things people do, they do for reasons. In this respect, things are like guns, and reasons are like criminals. It's the reasons that kill people, not the gun or the shooter, or the victim.

The kids in the senior prank thread attempted to tape their teacher to his chair. The debate on this subject is is focused on the Why. Did the kids do it out of malice, or a prank? It makes all the difference in the world.

So, when confronted with things unexplainable, or unknown to us, we must focus on the Why. I see something happen, and I see who did it. I know when they did it, and how they did it. Now Why did they do it? Why did they choose go about doing it the way that they did? Why do they feel the way that they do about who they did it to? Why do I feel the way I do about what it was that they did?

All questions with long answers, and invariably, more questions, including more why's into infinity.

Little kids ask Why a lot.

I wonder why.

Last edited by lumberjim; 05-23-2004 at 11:49 PM.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
MrKite
Fresh Incumbent

Why not?
MrKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:51 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

thank you. that was fast.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:55 PM   #4
MrKite
Fresh Incumbent

You are welcome.
MrKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:38 AM   #5
marichiko

I think we ask "why" because we want our lives to make sense, and we want to feel that we have some sort of control over the things that happen to us. "Mommy! Why did the kitty scratch me?" "Because you were pulling its tail, you little sadist. Kitty doesn't like that." So we learn how not to be clawed by kitty. "Why do all my plants die?" "Cuz you didn't water them, idiot." So we learn to water the plants or else stop throwing our money away buying them if watering is too much trouble. We want to achieve outcomes favorable to ourselves and avoid those which are not. Understanding the reason for those outcomes helps us to do that. "Why" is probably the biggest question humans ask and the most frequent one. Religions are founded on "why." "Why doesn't it rain and all my crops are dying?" "You didn't throw enough virgins into the volcano to placate the local Gods, idiot." So you go round up some virgins and toss them in. Whether it works or not, you are attempting to acquire some control over your life.

Asking why can be a good thing, especially if we pay attention to the answers we get and make use of them. But sometimes we get stuck on "why." Who knows why your brother was born with some awful genetic disease that the scientists can't explain while you were spared? Who knows why the man you fall madly in love with falls madly in love with someone else, and the man who is madly in love with you reminds you of that kid in your 8th grade class who you couldn't stand?

Some things have no easy explanations - if they have an explanation at all. We simply have to accept them and let go of the asking. We don't have as much (or as little) control over our lives as we might like to think. The best response to some things is just to accept the waves and surf on. Ha-WHY-ee, here we come!
Old 05-24-2004, 07:35 AM   #6
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Most scientists that deal with quantum physics have given up on the 'Why', they think if the formulas work and explain the facts correctly, that's good enough.

Trying to understand why the formulas work means your looking for a really good brain meltdown because quantum physics makes no logical sense.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:05 AM   #7
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Science doesn't answer "why?", just "how?" (Of course, often, people use "why" to mean "how", as in "Why is the sky blue?". The light wavelength absorbtion of air is the mechanism, not the reason.)

Of course, when it comes to quantum mechanics, science is still struggling with "what", never mind "how".
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:38 PM   #8
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko
Some things have no easy explanations - if they have an explanation at all. We simply have to accept them and let go of the asking. We don't have as much (or as little) control over our lives as we might like to think. The best response to some things is just to accept the waves and surf on. Ha-WHY-ee, here we come!
Amen to the fullest on that one. I'm learning that lesson every day.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:25 PM   #9
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Re: The importance of Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim

Why? Sometimes we never find out.

And Why is what really matters. The things people do, they do for reasons. In this respect, things are like guns, and reasons are like criminals. It's the reasons that kill people, not the gun or the shooter, or the victim.
I agree. I believe it is dangerous to stop asking why.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:16 PM   #10
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

I think the “why” is the human distinction. The strength of the human mind is its ability to systematize data, to reduce it to a principle (the why) and then apply that principle to new situations.

When we sense our limitations at this basic task, it’s important to remember that we only hit a wall at really complex systems. We’re great at answering the “why” for physical interactions, many social interactions, planetary systems. Where we fail are at the point of vast Universals, attempts to systematize and draw source principles from the whole of morality, for example, or the sum of human motivation. Think for just a moment about how complex those things are.

On the whole, I’d say we’re pretty good at most of the “why”, just not the big “why”.

-sm
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:23 PM   #11
depmats
Major Inhabitant

I think LJ is just messing with us to show his above average skill as a salesperson.
The more open-ended the question the more info that spills from the customer that can be used to close them. ABC

Of course if you really want to have some fun - start asking a cop open ended questions, by the time you get to WHY? You will be in handcuffs and probably getting a complimentary strip search. Cops hate being asked open ended questions.
depmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:11 AM   #12
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

If you accept that there is no reason for anything it makes your life a hell of a lot easier. Impulse, instinct and chaos rule.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:56 PM   #13
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

oh come on folks!!!!! The answer is so simple ,

Why ? BE CAUSE I SAID SO !!!
Old 05-27-2004, 12:06 PM   #14
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

M-I-C..."See ya real soon!"
K-E-Y..."Why? Because we *like* you!"
M-O-U-S-E