The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 05-24-2004, 12:14 AM   #1
MrKite
Fresh Incumbent

Awesomeness

Is it me, or are Jack's frozen pizzas the creme de crem of frozen pizzas?
MrKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

It's just you.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:01 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

That must be a regional brand. I am a con ... connieur ... konisewer ... I eat a fair amount of frozen pizza and I have never heard of "Jacks."

I actually think the best is that mysterious brand of frozen pizza that is sold by schoolchildren and churches and is delivered in assemble-it-yourself kits. White Garlic Whole Wheat! Yummmy!

Best in store? DiGiorno, with the Red Baron rising crust style a close second. I used to really like Tombstone, but haven't had that in quite a while.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Freschetta makes this wood fired kind that is really good. For some reason it is square shaped (square pizza!!??) but it is definitely tasty.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:40 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I actually get the America's Choice 10-inch ones from Super Fresh. This is not fabulous pizza, and I admit, the crust is partway between saltines and cardboard. But for some reason, they really hit the spot for a late-night snack.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:23 PM   #6
perth
Strong Silent Type

Listen to Case. We've tried just about every frozen pizza available here, and the Freschetta brick oven ones are about the best we've tried. I really don't like the DiGiorno ones, and they are most fucking definitely not fucking delivery. God, I really hate those commercials.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:00 PM   #7
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

You all may find this crazy, but my favorite frozen pizza may well be the worst of them...Ellio's!

Yes, Ellio's frozen "pizza". But I don't eat it as is...I use it as a basis to make my own creations. That thick crust is perfect for holding heavier toppings like thick cheese, sliced meats, my own special blend of pizza spices, my own homemade sauce etc. And it tends to not bend if you lightly brush the bottom with olive oil and dried oregano before you bake it.

I use this only because I never quite got the hang of making my own dough.

Brian
Old 05-24-2004, 02:44 PM   #8
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Anyone remember Totinos? Those pizzas you could buy for something like $1.50. I got really sick of the pepperoni one.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:01 PM   #9
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by case
Freschetta makes this wood fired kind that is really good. For some reason it is square shaped (square pizza!!??) but it is definitely tasty.
Syc just had a Freschetta pizza last night. I had a bite and mmmm it was good! Not the biggest fan of frozen pizza anymore, but that was mighty tasty.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:12 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
You all may find this crazy, but my favorite frozen pizza may well be the worst of them...Ellio's!
This may be a strange statement, but at one time I really did prefer Elios. In the "before time."

I was a kid, McCain hadn't bought out the original company that was making the stuff, and the crust was a damn sight better. It was, in those days, sturdy, and had a really nice crispy rolled edge crust, with decent cheese on it.

Today's version is more like a limp sponge with sparse styrofoam topping.

Ooh, that reminds me of those croissant crust pizzas from Pepperidge Farm. Do they still make those? Those were damn good.

And the Stouffer's French Bread Pizzas would make me happy, with the addition of some garlic powder.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:06 PM   #11
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

My wife picked up a couple of those when they first came out , just to try them . They FUCKING ROCKED !!!! Bacon and two knind of cheese , and the supreme was just that SUPREME !!! Nice and big , they would over fill a round pizza bakeing sheet pan . She picked up a couple of then just the other day , and the Fucking Mfgrs are makeing them WAY smaller now , 2 pixxas will fit on the same round pizza pan now .
My fav pizza is Tonys , plain cheese , then my wife gets creative with what ever is in the fridge , never the same twice , but ALWAYS Mondo Delisch. !!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 05:08 PM   #12
perth
Strong Silent Type

There's 2 sizes.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:50 PM   #13
blue
Operations Operative

We get Jack's, I really don't think they're all that great.

Totinos ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! I just bought 2 today, supreme and mmmmm hamburger! $1.29 a piece, wasn't even a sale!

The box is kind of irritating, but if you don't want to do dishes it makes a handsome serving tray. And if you REALLY don't want to do dishes they are basically small enough to eat without slicing.

Also you HAVE to follow the instructions if you want the extra crispy crust, 450 degrees...sufficiently pre-heated, no pan.

I love those little pizzas, yup I sure do. Could go on, and on...