The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-29-2002, 11:30 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

MP3 in Ford trucks

I just saw a Ford Trucks ad that boasted of the availability of MP3 in their top models.

The revolution is over. MP3 has completely won.

Never mind that bouncy trucks are the IDEAL place for MP3. The visuals in the ad were all about the usual macho signatures for trucks: loading heavy stuff into the back and driving over rugged terrain. These are not your typical MP3 users. "Hey Jim, ya wanna go haul those logs out?" "Sure buddy, just as soon as I finish burning this Pet Shop Boys disk. I downloaded their entire back catalog."

If MP3 is now an important feature to Joe Average, for use in his TRUCK, it has won... before any legitimate music industry offered any CD [sic] in the MP3 format.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 11:45 AM   #2
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
"Hey Jim, ya wanna go haul those logs out?" "Sure buddy, just as soon as I finish burning this Pet Shop Boys disk. I downloaded their entire back catalog."
i can not stop laughing at that.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 12:40 PM   #3
russotto
Professor

Hilary Rosen says...

The truck industry's killer app is piracy. RIAA must be paid for each and every MP3 player that those thieving bastards at Ford put into a truck, or Britney Spears will starve to death.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 01:43 PM   #4
juju
no one of consequence

This is really exciting. If <i>all</i> stereo equipment eventually starts supporting mp3s, then maybe the record industry will start releasing cds that can hold more than a pitiful 74 minutes of music.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 01:58 PM   #5
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
This is really exciting. If <i>all</i> stereo equipment eventually starts supporting mp3s, then maybe the record industry will start releasing cds that can hold more than a pitiful 74 minutes of music.
yeah but then theyll start charging 150 bucks for a cd.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 02:22 PM   #6
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I doubt the industry will ever add more music to there CD's. At least not until they realize that file sharing is here to stay. If the industry starts releasing CD's with MP3s on them then no one would ever buy a CD again, especially with the push towards Broadband. The only reason I ever buy a cd is becuase they sound better. Not much but a little, but if you compress them to MP3 to put more music on them then your going to loose quality.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:27 PM   #7
dave

Well fuck you then.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:29 PM   #8
juju
no one of consequence

I don't think they sound better, unless you're talking about live stuff.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:12 PM   #9
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
...maybe the record industry will start releasing cds that can hold more than a pitiful 74 minutes of music.
The real reason MP3s are popular (out of proportion to the price point) is that you don't have to bother with the pointless "filler tracks" that get stuck on many albums to pad them out to an acceptable length.

This happened back when you got 40 minutes on a vinyl recording too. It's the reason the RIAA syndicate has been foot-dragging on downloadable music; they *know* that too much of their catalog is crap nobody would buy if it wasn't glued onto something else people actually wanted.

We've got 100 "non-premium" channels on cable now. Most of them are garbage and infomercials. And promos for all the wonderful shows on *digital* cable...*all* of which would fit into the existing analog bandwidth. Oh, and let's not forget the FUD about VSAT dishes.

Last edited by MaggieL; 10-29-2002 at 06:24 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 06:22 PM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Re: Hilary Rosen says...

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
The truck industry's killer app is piracy. RIAA must be paid for each and every MP3 player that those thieving bastards at Ford put into a truck, or Britney Spears will starve to death.
This is a serious problem. I mean, you can already tell she doesn't have any money, cause she can only afford shirts that are too small.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 06:30 PM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL

We've got 100 "non-premium" channels on cable now. Most of them are garbage and infomercials. And promos for all the wonderful shows on *digital* cable...*all* of which would fit into the existing analog bandwidth. Oh, and let's not forget the FUD about VSAT dishes.
Yeah that's the OTHER "problem" with the Tivo and its ilk (from the TV industry perspective).. besides the commercial skpping stuff... if I've got 120GB of disk space attached to my TV that is filled exclusively with stuff I decided I wanted to watch (and I do, well, OK, there's stuff for other people in the family too), I will never again sit down and just watch whatever's on.

(Two posts in a row... if we were back in the old Waffle BBS I'd be accused of trying to up my post-to-call ratio!!)
Old 10-29-2002, 06:48 PM   #12
dave

Re: Re: Hilary Rosen says...

Quote:
Originally posted by kbarger
I mean, you can already tell she doesn't have any money, cause she can only afford shirts that are too small.
And thank God for that.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:26 PM   #13
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
The real reason MP3s are popular (out of proportion to the price point) is that you don't have to bother with the pointless "filler tracks" that get stuck on many albums to pad them out to an acceptable length.
I don't agree. I think the "real reason" they're popular is the incredible compression mp3s have. For example, the cds I make for my Sony Walkman hold 20 hours of music! Hell, the batteries would run out before the cd would run out of new songs to play. This is the kind of technology i'm talking about. Done right, it's a straight up technological advancement that's trivially easy to implement. It may take some time because of politics, but it's just a matter of time, I think.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:45 PM   #14
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by kbarger

if we were back in the old Waffle BBS I'd be accused of trying to up my post-to-call ratio!!
Well, how many times have you called this year? :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:14 AM   #15
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:

Well, how many times have you called this year? :-)
Not many since I got DSL hooked up!

You know, another thing about the whole MP3 situation occurs to me... and maybe this is what gives the RIAA the willies more than anything else. Complete hardware platform independence! You give me an MP3, I can play it on my computer. I can put it on flash memory and play it on a handheld player. I can put it on an external hard disk and, gee, maybe that hard disk has software to play the MP3 and a headphone jack (like the ipod and its ilk). The record companies have always had strict control over the physical packaging of the music.

The company I'm really interested in is Sony, because they make electronic gadgets and they have lots of music and movies, which means they may have an internal conflict about which side of this debate to come down on.