The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-24-2018, 02:19 AM   #6481
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well if you want someone to compare defects with, I'm your man.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #6482
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
Their eyes get all big and they run out the door.

Wait...You're leaving them loose?

I think I see yer prollum.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:58 AM   #6483
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Well if you want someone to compare defects with, I'm your man.
Misery loves company.

Truly though, this getting old shit is for the birds. Completely unacceptable. And I'm quite outraged that it's happening to me. I mean, I did not sign up for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Wait...You're leaving them loose?

I think I see yer prollum.
The little fuckers move pretty quick, and my knees don't work so good anymore.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #6484
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They fired my co-worker today for being late over and over and over again

A semi-talented dude is walking the streets cos they couldn't figure out how to get into his head and motivate him.

I could see what was needed: someone had to care a little bit, and just ask about his woes, and encourage him a little. It takes so little encouragement to get someone to do things differently. Caring is a basic human approach. Call it emotional intelligence. "Why are you *really* late, Rob? What's going on in your life?"

Lacking that skill, instead they transparently hired his replacement and waited for him to fuck up again. The trap was laid for months, all that had to happen was no change. And no change was encouraged. So they got what they apparently wanted.

In my time here so far, 3 people have been fired, 1 left "by agreement" (i.e., fired, but we're not saying that word), and 6 have left on their own. Out of 12. This means I am now amongst the senior staff. I'm here 2.5 years.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #6485
Flint
Snowflake

Sad. When I am habitually late, it is always because of transient life events escalating my baseline anxiety into a degenerative state of chronic stress-hormone-overload, making it prohibitively difficult to execute basic daily routines, like a functional sleep schedule.

Maybe I should just pull myself up by my bootstraps and have a more positive attitude! #wowthanksimcured
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #6486
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

All people come with baggage, ergo all workers come with baggage. Any workplace should have a good-sized cargo area.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #6487
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Well said, UT. Compartments help.

In my head, in my space, in my job.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #6488
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

How's the replacement doing?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:43 PM   #6489
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Sad. When I am habitually late, it is always because of transient life events escalating my baseline anxiety into a degenerative state of chronic stress-hormone-overload, making it prohibitively difficult to execute basic daily routines, like a functional sleep schedule.

Maybe I should just pull myself up by my bootstraps and have a more positive attitude! #wowthanksimcured
May I please put this on a t-shirt?
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:21 AM   #6490
Griff
still says videotape

My work has taught me that basic kindness is lacking in homes, schools, and workplaces. I went to an invite only after hours "go away" party for a cow-orker. The old-timers were grumbling about the change in atmosphere, how they no longer believe that the boss has their back. That belief sustained them for years but losing that faith...
Old 04-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #6491
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The replacement had to come in and be good enough for about a month before the firing could happen.

It took two months. It played out exactly as expected. It was transparent. I knew and even Rob knew. If Matthew comes in and is solid, Rob is in danger. He's now disposable. One more lateness and it's over.

He did well for a long time. Then his girlfriend started inviting another guy to Rob's apartment, to fuck in his bed.

He figured it out, and broke up with her. She then called the cops and alleged that there were drugs in his apartment.

They came the next morning and searched his apartment, and didn't allow him to make a phone call to work to say he'd be late.

I told him: it has actually worked out for you. You don't realize it right now, but you are minus two pathetic crazy bitches in your life. That will turn positive.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #6492
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
A semi-talented dude is walking the streets cos they couldn't figure out how to get into his head and motivate him.
"Be on time or lose your job." sounds like the strongest motivation an employer can supply.

Short of beatings when your late, and I'm not sure they can do that.

Most, (almost all, in fact) employers like for their employees to show up. On time.

Anyone can have stuff happen that causes them to be late. Occasionally.

You have my sympathy, for losing a good guy (sounds like) and cow orker, but, not the fired guy.

Perhaps Fired Guy's next employer will benefit from this. Maybe he'll be on time more consistently.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #6493
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Wull

That's mostly true, but in software places it's usually a little different -- if you do a ton of work after hours, they generally do not care if you are around all the time during bidness hours.

Dude put in a solid year where he was super-motivated, and would check in from home and do little things that needed doing overnight. That's the team you want; where they organize around the work that needs to be done, not the HOURS that need to be worked.

Boss vs Leader: a boss is concerned with process; a leader is concerned with people. If the people are properly motivated and team-oriented, the process takes care of itself. It's way easier if you take care of the people. Because if you take care of the people, the entire staff doesn't turn over every 2 years, and all that information and experience isn't lost every 2 years.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #6494
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh, yeah...I kinda fergot what ya did fer a living.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #6495
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
May I please put this on a t-shirt?
Go for it! The internet has made it easier for people to share their mental health experiences, and I love that.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar