The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-19-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
No_TimE

I'm in a Internet bar....

playing CS...
Old 07-19-2004, 07:23 PM   #2
marichiko

So how do most Chinese get on the Internet? At home? At Internet bars? Do many Chinese use the Internet? Just curious.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:28 PM   #3
No_TimE

Families transact broad band like me often get on Internet at home.My computer is not good ,so i also go to the internet bar to play games^^ .About 100 million people often use the Internet.The net bar is often filled with people except the washroom.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #4
alamuhan
Romantic Necromancer

i love CS

btw: is there anyone has great interest in E-Sports ?
pay much attention on ESWC , CPL ,and WCG and so on ?
alamuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:48 AM   #5
No_TimE

i really intersted in the compitition.But i'm a student(you know Chinese students are very busy),so i have No_TimE to care about WCG ESWC,CPL.......but i will watch the record(CS)
Old 07-20-2004, 09:41 AM   #6
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I'm actually rather sad that internet cafes never took off here in the US. It would be nice to have a comfortable environment to have coffee in and socilize with others. Does the internet bar also serve alcohol?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:22 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What does "a comfortable environment to have coffee in and socilize with others" have to do with the internet? Unless you're socializing on line, in which case, why the cafe?
I can picture someone sitting at a PC, chatting with friends, while others wait to use the machine.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:43 PM   #8
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Unless you're socializing on line, in which case, why the cafe?

I'm not sure. Maybe I just have fond memories of college computer labs where people would gather and be social. For some reason, despite the very unpersonal environment the computer offered, we always managed to start conversations. Maybe the aspect of all-nighters and all the collective suffering helped make the labs a bit more friendly.

But, now that you mention it, the last lab I was in was more like a library where you had to remain quiet and looking over someone's shoulder was responded to with violent acts.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

A few of the Schlotzsky's here in Austin have public computers, and an astounding number of restaurants have ethernet jacks (or full-blown wireless) ready for your own system.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:00 PM   #10
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
What does "a comfortable environment to have coffee in and socilize with others" have to do with the internet? Unless you're socializing on line, in which case, why the cafe?

I can picture someone sitting at a PC, chatting with friends, while others wait to use the machine.
That is, if people are actually waiting for the comp. I've been to one net cafe in Baltimore, and there were no lines. In fact, it was fairly empty (well, I did take the day off of work, so that might have had something to do with it). But, for 8 bucks/hour, I didn't stay on the PC long anyway.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:17 AM   #11
jaguar
whig

I've come across two bars in Melbourne that had net terminals but more designed for a quick check of the email than an everone crowd round and play flash games kind of thing.

Wireless is getting more and more common pretty much everywhere, it's great. WIsh they couold sort out a single signon system though, I've got a wallet full of cards for different airports and locations.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:38 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Unless you're socializing on line, in which case, why the cafe?

I'm not sure. Maybe I just have fond memories of college computer labs where people would gather and be social.
If it was a true computer lab in college, that would have involved a simulation of being social, rather than actual social interaction.

Things have changed, though, since the old days when I was in college and the only people in the computer labs were the actual certified geeks (and a few freshman who took COMPSCI 101 - Structured Basic as a means of getting out of Physics.) Yep, we had to chisel holes in punch cards that were made out of clay tablets ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:50 AM   #13
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Yep, we had to chisel holes in punch cards that were made out of clay tablets ...
Same here. I learnt Fortran on a Univac 1106. One student was assigned to shovel coal into the boiler to keep the steam pressure up. Ahrrr, those were the good old days...
Old 07-21-2004, 01:58 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I once handed in a fortan project printed on a teletype that used continuous paper in a roll rather than greenbar fanfold. Because it was just easier, I rolled it up into a scroll and tied it with a bit of ribbon.

The teacher, who was a Greek Exchange student teaching fortran to make it through grad school, said in heavily accented English, "Fortran is old, but it is not that old."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote