The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #871
Nirvana
Back in 10

Here I sit again on Friday night at approximately 8:10pm and no direct deposit paycheck. WTF is wrong with this company? I seem to be the only one that suffers from this annoyance...What makes it to pissing me off is they provide a paper pay stub with a void check. If they just gave me the check with the pay stub I would already be paid...
Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #872
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Maybe your bank account number is cursed. Are there any triple sixes; or, a thirteen in it?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 PM   #873
Nirvana
Back in 10

I called my shift Boss because even though there was no work Mon and Tues [ winter storm] and this is a 5 day a week company we are working this weekend, and for some reason after doing Direct Deposit last week it seems they have again this week issued a 'live' check. WTF at least he was as confused as I am.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:00 AM   #874
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasar View Post
not being funny but switch to plusnet.
uk service centre and when i had grief they were very old-fashioned, as in
the listened
they had solutions
they spoke in human language not the tecchiespeak used by all other ISPs that is designed to confuse you with bollocks -and to bolster their own lack of self esteem and make up for the fact that they have fuckall ability.
each person owned the problem until it was fixed.
and it was fixed.

then they asked me a couple of times later if all was OK
To be fair to TalkTalk, the people I speak to are usually really lovely and helpful and try to explain things in non-tech speak as much as possible.

The problem isn't actually TalkTalk. The problem is the archaic exchange and equipment, all of which is out of their hands. They've now put in their own unbundling equipment, but: the BT Openreach people who actually install it haven't installed a 'testhead' so when the TalkTalk engineer came to my house he was unable to run the full suite of tests.

They managed to get it sorted and it worked slowly for a few days - then the engineer came out and said the problem was at the exchange. Then the guy at the tech department chamged my profile and got it working quite well - for about two days.

Now it's back to an erratic 1/3 meg, with lots of dropping.

Going to another provider wouldn't help. TalkTalk is currently the only provider with their own equipment in the exchange - no other provider can offer unbundled services, so any other provider would present the same problem. The problem is on the BT infrastructure.

I have talked to several providers and they all say the same thing - initially they say they can help,and that according to their tests my line should be capable of 1-3 meg. Then when I explain the situation they say it probably wouldn't be any better.

When I talked to the BT engineer last year, he also said it wuoldn't be any different, even if I went with BT.

I am equidistant between two exchanges. They are both ancient, overcrowded with equipment and overheated (the BT engineer reckons it must breach health and safety for the lads who work there)
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #875
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I am equidistant between two exchanges. They are both ancient, overcrowded with equipment and overheated (the BT engineer reckons it must breach health and safety for the lads who work there)
Isn't that part of what you Brits point to with great pride as steeped in tradition, as history.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #876
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
To be fair to TalkTalk, the people I speak to are usually really lovely and helpful and try to explain things in non-tech speak as much as possible.

The problem isn't actually TalkTalk. The problem is the archaic exchange and equipment, all of which is out of their hands. They've now put in their own unbundling equipment, but: the BT Openreach people who actually install it haven't installed a 'testhead' so when the TalkTalk engineer came to my house he was unable to run the full suite of tests.

They managed to get it sorted and it worked slowly for a few days - then the engineer came out and said the problem was at the exchange. Then the guy at the tech department chamged my profile and got it working quite well - for about two days.

Now it's back to an erratic 1/3 meg, with lots of dropping.

Going to another provider wouldn't help. TalkTalk is currently the only provider with their own equipment in the exchange - no other provider can offer unbundled services, so any other provider would present the same problem. The problem is on the BT infrastructure.

I have talked to several providers and they all say the same thing - initially they say they can help,and that according to their tests my line should be capable of 1-3 meg. Then when I explain the situation they say it probably wouldn't be any better.

When I talked to the BT engineer last year, he also said it wuoldn't be any different, even if I went with BT.

I saw an ad from Virgin Media in the newspaper the other day which offered a cable internet connection without having to buy phone or TV packages. Is your area supplied by Virgin or BT fibre optic cable? I don't know how much it would cost and, in these straitened times, that of course may be the stumbling block. Might be worth investigating.

ETA Check here by post code: http://www.cable.co.uk/guides/broadband-in-my-area/

Last edited by Carruthers; 02-07-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #877
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Isn't that part of what you Brits point to with great pride as steeped in tradition, as history.
Nah. It's what is known as extracting the maximum return from the minimum investment.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound cranky. The long, wet winter is getting to me!
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #878
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
I saw an ad from Virgin Media in the newspaper the other day which offered a cable internet connection without having to buy phone or TV packages. Is your area supplied by Virgin or BT fibre optic cable? I don't know how much it would cost and, in these straitened times, that of course may be the stumbling block. Might be worth investigating.

ETA Check here by post code: http://www.cable.co.uk/guides/broadband-in-my-area/
Alas no. No fibre optics or superfast broadband here.

If I lived up the road a way, I'd probably be able to get the lot :p
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #879
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Nah. It's what is known as extracting the maximum return from the minimum investment.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound cranky. The long, wet winter is getting to me!
I know why, that's pretty much universal, I was just poking about how the commoners sweep the aggravation under the rug of tradition, in front of guests. Shhh somebody's coming, keep calm and carry on.

Cranky? Hell, that ain't cranky, that's telling it like it is.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #880
monster
I hear them call the tide

OHAC.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:20 AM   #881
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They didn't invite you to the pool party tomorrow?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #882
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
OHAC.
pool sharks???
Old 06-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #883
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Fell over flagging down a bus to go to the Summer Ball down in the village. Skinned my knee big time, holed my tights, ripped my pretty dress. Boo hoo

Sent by thought transference
Old 06-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #884
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Damn, sorry limey.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #885
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Awww, sorry to hear that, what a bit of bad luck. I hope you're not going to need a tattoo.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limburger