The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #676
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #677
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Kind Dark Chocolate Almond Mint bars...damn things are like crack. I've cleaned out two grocery stores of them over the past 3 days.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:51 AM   #678
Griff
still says videotape

nice.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #679
glatt

Products I wholeheartedly endorse

A paste made of meat tenderizer and a few drops of water is remarkably effective if applied to a fresh yellow jacket sting. I know that Adolph's original unseasoned Tenderizer with no MSG works great, but other brands may work as well. Oh, and fuck yellow jackets.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #680
elSicomoro

We have some mud daubers hanging out here at the new place...wife got stung by one Sunday. Fortunately, she is not allergic to insect stings, unlike me...
Old 08-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #681
elSicomoro

So...the TemperPedic bed...

You look at the price tag and are like, "What the fuck?! This shit is insane! You want me to spend HOW much for a damn bed?!"

But then you lay on it...and you're like, "Hmmm...seems like a reasonable investment."

3 weeks in, worth. every. penny.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #682
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Considering I can sleep on the couch for free, just how insane are you?
Old 08-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #683
elSicomoro

I've done enough sleeping on shitty beds and furniture.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #684
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Best £15 I ever spent was on a second hand mattress.
All I wanted was something that would allow me to sleep, didn't smell of Diz and had never had blood vomited on it.

The one the charity had in stock happened to be a real peach.
I had to put up with the bitching and moaning of the two men who carried it up my stairs (HELLO! It's your JOB! It was on the delivery papers that I lived two flight up!) but oh my word.

That and my Cellar-bought duvet mean I can deal with anything that happens in the night. Dodgy dreams, delivery lorries in the yard (yeah, thanks Argos) fire alarms going off, humidity headaches.

Teach the kinder in school. Good mattresses don't solve mental health issues, but they sure as heck help.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #685
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Listen if you need a new mattress, don't buy it at a store, and don't buy the old style with inner springs. Buy a memory foam mattress, and buy it at Amazon.

Yeah I know you "need" to try out the mattress before you buy it. No, you don't, either. Because for one thing, you will never ever, in a million years, get any idea of what it is like to sleep on that surface by going into a store and lying on it, awake and alert, fully dressed, for 10 seconds.

And if it is a spring mattress, it will not feel exactly like that, even one year after use. So why kid yourself?

Go on Amazon, get one described as whatever you figure you might like; soft or firm, cool or hot. It will be about half the price of what you'll find in stores. The mattress arrives at your front door in a big box. You cut the box open, the mattress expands. In a few hours it's reg'lar-shaped. It's so easy. And you will like it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #686
glatt

I agree absolutely. I did extensive research a couple years ago and discovered that people who buy their mattresses untested from the internet have a higher satisfaction rate than people who go to a store and try their mattresses out and then buy them. Two reasons for this. You do your research more when you buy online so are likely to do a better job at selecting something good, and secondly, you are paying less without the pressure from sales people trying to up-sell you.

Go to sleep like the dead dot com to do some mattress research. When I did that and read tons of information about all different types of mattresses, it steered me to a latex foam mattress sold by Amazon. When I bought the mattress, I specified the softness on a scale from 1-10. I fucking love this mattress, two years later. It's like a dream, crawling into bed. It has two types of foam, a supportive thick latex foam that's like 75% of the thickness of the mattress, and a soft foam on the top that is super cushy. They alter the thickness of that soft top foam layer to give you the softness vs. support you want.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #687
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I got a three inch memory foam pad for the top of her mattress because of crippling arthritis. She said it was very comfortable and took the pressure of sore joints. The downside was because of her limited mobility, she had trouble moving around on it. Changing position, or getting in and out, were more difficult. I should think his wouldn't affect most people, though.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #688
glatt

Excellent.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #689
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I got a Sleep Number Bed. It's very good.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #690
glatt

Sleep number beds. Also highly rated by sleeplikethedead.com.