The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 09-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #61
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Having seen this article in our local newspaper yesterday, I thought that it might be worth resurrecting this topic.

First of all, it's sponsored content by the Ordnance Survey (UK Mapping Agency) so there's a commercial axe to grind.

Secondly, no survey that didn't support the commissioning body's interests has ever seen the light of day.

With those caveats in mind, I think that there is probably more than a kernel of truth in it.

Extract....

Quote:
Brits Can’t Find Capital City

British adults have no idea where Manchester, Birmingham – and even London feature on a map, a study has found. A poll of 2,000 people found more than four in ten struggle to pinpoint the nation’s capital on a map of the UK, while another 86 per cent have no idea where Edinburgh should be. And almost one in ten put the Isles of Scilly, found off the coast of Cornwall, in place of the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea, while another one in twenty believe they sit off the western coast of Scotland. The locations of Newcastle, Cardiff and Oxford also left many scratching their heads. It also emerged just four in ten can confidently read a map with another 44 per cent admitting they have no idea what traditional map symbols mean. A spokesman for Ordnance Survey, which commissioned the research as part of National Map Reading Week, taking place in October, said: “Great Britain is relatively small, yet it seems many of us struggle to pinpoint the positions of cities and locations which may not even be that far from where we live.
It always strikes me as a bit odd that so many people have little knowledge, and even less interest, as to how they fit into the great geographic scheme of things.

I've always considered knowing where you are in relation to other towns, villages, landmarks etc as being a fundamental part of our make up.

Perhaps it's just me!

Complete article here: Bucks Herald
Old 09-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #62
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's not just you. I went to a function in Massachusetts, and the host was shocked I found it without GPS. He said how did you manage that? I looked at a map before I left home. I thought he would faint.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #63
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

These were a huge help on our trips along the parkway. No signal for most of that area.

Name:  brp1.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  128.4 KB

the roads are color coded for good, medium, and not good riding roads.

Name:  brp1b.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  148.9 KB

The back has info about gas stations, hotels, descriptions of the roads, etc. Well worth the money. There are 7 in this set, and a handful of other broader area maps made specifically for Motorcycle touring.

+10 Amanda for finding and buying them last year before the first trip.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:50 AM   #64
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It's not just you. I went to a function in Massachusetts, and the host was shocked I found it without GPS. He said how did you manage that? I looked at a map before I left home. I thought he would faint.
Personal observation suggests that a significant number of drivers are content to enter the destination name or post code and slavishly follow GPS instructions, without briefing themselves on the potential route beforehand.
'Get in and go' seems to be their motto.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #65
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have to admit that given an unlabelled map of the UK, I'd struggle to find Leeds (my nearest large city)
I moved here as an adult, and seem to have a knack for choosing to live in places quite a way from the sea.

If you labelled Sheffield, Manchester or Bradford, I'd be able to find Leeds better. I know where I am in relation to them. But we're labelled North-West, which doesn't help. Blackpool is North-West.

Same with Aylesbury being South-East. East of what? Cardiff maybe?

I can read a map. Surprisingly well for someone with dyscalculia. And I can pretty much place all of the locations in that article. Although it helps having been to Scilly. And you seriously want me with you when navigating London, because even if I don't know the route, I know what's next to what, if you get what I mean. So if we're going to Tower Bridge and we're in Waterloo I can get you there.

But I'm an old lady now. And I've never owned a car with power steering, air-conditioning or GPS. You know what you have to know, or what you had to learn. I'ma gonna need someone to help me grow crops when the zombie apocalypse comes for example.

Last edited by Sundae; 09-23-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #66
glatt

I know my way around this area, but lately have started using Google maps to give me directions for any trip over an expected 15 minutes or so. Traffic backups are common enough here that Google will find me faster routes than the ones I know.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #67
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Me, too. I even know all the routes, but google tells me which one has a wreck on it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #68
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
It always strikes me as a bit odd that so many people have little knowledge, and even less interest, as to how they fit into the great geographic scheme of things.
Indeed, and more than just geographically, :sigh:

Jim, those riding maps look excellent.

On our recent trip to Boston I missed having maps to refer to, the GPS will get you there, but it's very narrow, if want to explore the landscape your passing you need a much wider view.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #69
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
Indeed, and more than just geographically, :sigh:

Jim, those riding maps look excellent.

On our recent trip to Boston I missed having maps to refer to, the GPS will get you there, but it's very narrow, if want to explore the landscape your passing you need a much wider view.

This.

Sent by thought transference
Old 09-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #70
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
if want to explore the landscape your passing you need a much wider view.
All the wider views really, because one map won't actually do it for you, eventually you roll off the edge of it. So you will need all the maps.

pinch to zoom out
hamburger menu to select terrain
download of your entire route
done and done

I'm an original map geek. As a 10-year-old I studied the US Geological survey quadrangles. The detailed topographics. I was fascinated. We had the set for my area, but to get all of them, that was really something. An individual couldn't afford it... it took up a huge flat drawer system and you could only find a complete set at really major libraries. I remember Penn State had a copy. I spent hours browsing it one day.

But now?

pinch to zoom out... all the fascination is still there, now available in the palm of one's hand... for the entire freakin' world! What's not to love?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:54 PM   #71
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

No signal. In urban areas, the live GPS maps like waze are damn handy. In the mountains, useless. Look at a coverage map.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #72
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
No signal. In urban areas.
This.

I'm running an HVAC company and coordinating the techs to locations with crappy service requires that I sometimes, often, talk them through to their destinations. Reading a map is mandatory for me - and I like it too.
When the SO and I take trips, she LOVES to read maps. I love that she does. I still have "maps" running. We get to see more than just what a mini-computer wants us to see. Gotta give 'em credit on the traffic issues though. Thats why we use both.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #73
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You can download the sections you want if you like, nowadays... doesn't get you live traffic but that's where you don't need it, only GPS, navigation, and the ability to search for things like gas stations and restaurants and whatnot

Here's how w/ google maps/android
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #74
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

That was helpful
Old 09-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #75
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maps don't need a battery.