The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 07-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #406
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

This is where other people were seated for afternoon tea on the day we came. Ideally they serve it on the lawn and croquet is set up. The day we visitied was sunshine and showers.

The room is nowhere near as blurry as it appears in my picture.
When I came for a meal here a good few years ago, we waited in this room until all our party arrived, sitting in front of a blazing log fire. Even I appreciated the spectacle, if not the heat.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #407
glatt

What an amazing place!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #408
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Family Fun Day in the park.
Not as good value this year. Last year it was organised by a coalition of churches and was all free including a burger and a drink.

This year it was paid for by the council, so although there were free make-and-do tents, the biggies like bouncy castles and face-painting were charged for.

I have to admit they kept the costs down though.

The big hits with Tiger and Kitten were the bouncy castles and the sand.
Tiger insisted on first going in the playground, which is a proper established free playground there all year. I managed to produce a giant bubble wand from my Mary Poppins bag and we lured him away with that.

Excuse the quality of the shots.
They were high-action!
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #409
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Another bouncy castle - this one laid out as a "challenge" - children went through in pairs.
Despite it being for over-5's only, Kitten at 3 was able to pass easily. She managed the netting before the slide like a little pro.

Tiger is very focused when playing with sand.
Mum says he is happy for hours on a beach with a bucket and spade.
I had to lure him off just to eat our sandwiches. I had a gruyere bagel. Nom nom nom, until the evil people next to us got chicken and chips from takeaway shop across the road. The smell drove me crazy, so I flicked sand all over them and laughed when they cried.

Not really.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #410
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Last of the bouncy castles - the big slide.
I counldn't believe Kitten's fearlessness.
Well, yes I could because I know her. But it still made me widen my eyes.

Tiger and I occupied ourselves in the (25 minute) queue by identifying sliders, bouncers and screamers. He said he wanted to be all three. And so he was.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #411
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Final go on the assault course.

Then up the hill to my house for ice-pops. Mum had parked at her MIL's (she lives next door to Grandad's old bungalow) so once I was home they were practically there anyway.

There was a little grumbling on the way home, but it was a very physical day for a little girl. And of course once she got some attention by complaining, Tiger started too. So I gave him a piggyback and sang "I want someone to give me a pony..." which made him laugh. Except then Kitten wanted a piggyback from me too!

Children, who'd have them?
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #412
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

A great day had by all I believe.
Certainly by a tired but happy pony.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #413
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Wonderful, Sundae! Kitten is very much like Minifobette, fearlesness and blonde curls and low muscle tone and everything.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #414
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Awesome pics!

So nice to see you back in the pink again :p

Mum loves the photos of you with your pink hair. She says you suit the bright pinks and the vibrant reds most of all. Whenever we see someone out and about with startlingly bright hair she says 'Oh look, she looks like your mate Cherry'
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #415
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Name:  WelfareState_LP.png
Views: 257
Size:  65.7 KB

A piece of serendipity that came my way this week: Noted Aylesbury on the back of an LP cover of the British art group "Welfare State". It states the address of Lol Coxhill, of Brit improvised music fame, who sadly died last month.
According to Wikipedia he grew up in Aylesbury.

Only saw him in London last September:

Name:  IMG_0488_web.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  120.9 KB
Lol Coxhill (right)

Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #416
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Thanks, Scriv. Small world.

Went to Thame (pronounced Tame) on the bus with Mum yesterday. Her treat.
Got pole position there and back (upstairs front seat) which is great for looking into people's gardens, bedroom windows and at men's bald spots which they haven't even noticed themselves yet.

Mum wanted to go to the market, I wanted to go to Waitrose and we both wanted to have lunch out.

I didn't take many photos. I don't often when I'm out with her, I think it's because I have someone to talk to! Now I've come back and thought of loads I could have taken of course. Never mind, maybe we'll go back another day.

Thame is a lovely place, just over the Oxon border. I used to live and work there. I'm sure all the local yokels will say it's gone to hell in a handcart, but those of us coming from Aylesbury just see a market town the way it should be. Small independent shops, especially catering to the tastes of nearby (wealthy) villages. Tea shops and cafes, butchers that sell hand-made pies, local eggs, game. High-end jewellers that don't need to display their prices, a chocolaterie, an Aga shop (for goodness sake!). And all that and everything.

We wandered the shops first. The bookshop is still open, which delighted me. I could spend hundreds in there, much of it on wrapping and cards. I didn't have a penny on me, so I couldn't even be tempted. They've moved the children's section though. It used to be in the back room, magically lit even on the gloomiest days by a large skylight. I used to creep in there to worship all the magical books. NB I was 19, not 9!

I dragged Mum into a kitchenalia shop - wonderful. It was like being in Heal's (Tottenham Court Road). Just the sort of things you never see in a town with only retail park tastes. An electric blue mixer with a see-through bowl - POW! When I win the lottery and can afford too many gadgets this is the kind of place I will head to. Lovely local staff (local accents anyway) helping people in a friendly way buy armfuls of things on their platinum Amexs. I did gaze wistfully at the Gruffalo and Very Hungry Caterpillar melamine sets though. Within my price range if the twins get baptised.

The old shoe shop had gone, as had the shop selling clothes by Ghost (I was skinny back then, they suited me). The jewellers where Mum bought me a watch for my 21st birthday was there though. Mum found a ring she liked. Then again, what's not to like about a diamond ring that costs over two grand without being ostentatious?

On to the market. Again, I could have spent lots of money. I really wish I'd taken a photo of the sign for American Cherry's though. The market wasn't as large as I remember, but then it was much busier than Aylesbury and seemed to have more serious shoppers, come in from the villages in their smart little cars for the day, or on the bus (there's a reason the rich stay rich!) Fruit and veg stalls, bread and bakery, cheese, eggs, a meat stall (sealed cuts in generator run refrigerated units - this isn't Egypt!). Saw some nice kaftans for me to waft about the house in on hot days, again should have taken a photo - labelled Kaffans. That was the same stall selling Linnen Trousers. I could have bought five or six bags too. Not handbags, bags for toting things to school now that mine is giving up the ghost. Needs to carry lunch, book, camera, purse, mobile etc as standard, and double as a shopping bag when I go into town. Not as easy to find as you think - except on Thame Market!

The flower stall was large and well stocked too. Like being back on Columbia Road in East London. Mum already has freesias in the hall, but I'd have bought some of their glorious pinks and sunflowers for the living room and kitchen respectively. Should have taken a... ah well.

Back via the bakery stall. They sold Rum Babas! Mum and I have been looking for these since I moved back home. When Mum & Dad were first married, they used to buy them as a treat from a delicatessan in Kingsbury. That closed when I was a teenager, but supermarkets still sold them. Now, nowhere seems to. I tried to make them some using a recipe I found online, but they turned into a sodden mess. As did I, finishing off the leftover rum.

Turns out they weren't that great - they were a bit dry. Still, it was a bit of excitement. And it would be hard to live up to the memory of the early rum babas, bought at a time when the 'rents couldn't even afford a television and went to bed at 21.00 to save on electricity.

Last edited by Sundae; 08-22-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #417
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

And so off to find somewhere for lunch.

We had a look at a couple of menus, but nothing took our fancy.
We stopped at The Birdcage because there was outside seating and I really need a wee. I had a pint of Hoegaarden - it's not usual to find that on tap.

We debated the menu. The landlady came and spoke to us - very polite without being unctuous, very helpful. South African I think. They served a large menu of steak, cooked on volcanic rock at your table. I've had this before in France and in London, it's all good fun. They also had an exotic steak menu including Springbok, Eland, Camel, Zebra, Bison, Wildebeest, Kangaroo, Impala, Oryx, Ostrich, Crocodile, Wild Boar, Kudu and Llama [subject to availability].

The lunch menu looked nice. I would have happily settled for the grilled whitebait and shared chips with Mum, but she wanted to try somewhere else. Fair enough.

A sign outside a sweetshop, taken specially for Ali, Ducks, Zen, Sandy (did I miss anyone?) oh, Kagen.
The blackboard outside the pub.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #418
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Thame High Street in both directions from the front of The Birdcage.
It was a warm sunny day - the photos don't do the sky justice.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 AM   #419
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The Spread Eagle Hotel across from the pub.
When I worked in Thame we had all of our Christmas Parties there. And this was back in the days when companies paid for the whole shebang, including a free bar.

I was on the Christmas Party Planning Committee from my first year (they were themed, we worked hard) and every year the hotel threatened to ban us and every year they checked the bill, settled witout question within 14 days and every year they let us back again. The company I worked for is still doing business, but I can't imagine that they pay for such a perk these days.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sundae; 08-22-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #420
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

We wandered off to Waitrose, keeping an eye out for somewhere to eat along the way. walked past a little place called Cafe Bobo which had a good choice of fish on the Specials Board outside. Grilled sardines caught my eye especially.

So we went upstairs (always a gamble because it could be grim) and found a pleasant place, 3/4 full, all windows open and good and airy. We sat by the window and checked out the menu. I debated over all the fish and also quite fancied the potato skins. But when the waiter arrived - who I also quite fancied - I found myself ordering the breakfast! It was just the perfect breakfast for me, once I'd asked for no tomato.

Mum had the potato skins, so neither of us had fish in the end anyway!

Little niggles. The menu was lacking in detail. If I order a salad I want to know what is in it. Ham Salad is not a full description. Same with the breakfast - when it arrived I was disappointed to find one of everything. Certainly for the price. In the end it was as much as I could manage (they gave me double beans to make up for the tomato). Mum's loaded potato skins were pretty much a jacket potato cut in half. And she had to play Search the Bacon - although the slab of mozarella on top was certainly generous.

And the woman in the kitchen! OMG what a moaner! We could hear every word. An order came in for take-away and she told the (polite, efficient, handsome, young) waiter, "Well you'll have to do it yourself, I've got too many orders already!"

We waited 25 minutes for our meals. Not appalling, but I honestly think she started each separate order from scratch, rather than being able to handle multiple orders. And the couple next to us received the wrong omlette. She came out to make excuses. No, really. She showed them what was written on the order slip. Like they gave a damn. The old chap genially agreed to eat it anyway and she condescended enough to say she wouldn't charge him for the extra ingredient he hadn't wanted.

Anyway, here is my breakfast.
Don't start with the bacon mockery.
Attached Images