The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #1021
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

It really has been amazing, the way things have fallen in place. When we look back at the last year or so, it's like we knew what we were doing or something.

For the last 3 or 4 years, Amanda has been doing college courses part time while working full time in order to get her accounting degree... so she could get a better job. That was pretty stressful and time consuming. She has carried a 3.92 GPA this whole time too. The plan was for her to graduate in spring 2018. I'd finally be done with alimony in March 18 and Ripley turns 18 that June, so we figured life would begin again around then.

Well, last Spring she got laid off. That was bad. But the timing was perfect. Instead of her going and taking another J O B, we decided it would be smarter for her to just collect Unemployment and bump school to full time. Doing that would push the graduation date up a full year.

Her moving in with me and selling her house became an option when the upstairs neighbors, who had been there for 21 years, moved out, making the whole house available. just lucky timing. But there has been some stress as her funds dwindle and her house isn't selling quickly. She lives with me for free, but still has to pay her mortgage and personal expenses out of what she had in savings from a year ago, and the 6 months of unemployment she was eligible for.

We have a friend that works for the (huge accounting firm that you've probably heard of) company she got hired with. He had referred her when she lost the old job, but without a degree, they couldn't hire her. Just by chance, they expanded the department she's going to be a part of right as she started to see the light at the end of the graduation tunnel. She will graduate May 6th, and the new job will start June 5th.

She knew she did well with the interviews, but that was 2 Tuesdays ago. The job was so perfect it seemed too good to be true. The 2 week wait while they met and decided who to hire took like 3 months to go by. You start to expect something to fuck it up. She wondered if she should send a follow up email thanking them for the opportunity...or would that be too kiss assey... The friend said, yeah, don't ..... (turns out the sonofabitch knew she was in, but was forbidden from telling anyone...even his wife, who would have told us)

They called her last Thursday(day of the big meeting) and told her they would call either Friday or Monday(yesterday) to let her know, but that all feedback was very positive. STILL..... no call Friday. Made it a long weekend for her.... Then Monday came and by noon, I couldn't wait, and bugged her. (no call yet ) 3 pm... No word? (nope, this is torture.... 2 hours left... maybe they decided not to hire her....you'd think they'd call with the good news early)

Then the call came. She got it. holy shit, batman. Breathe.

Starts with 3 weeks vacation, plus they close for Christmas-NewYears week.... they pay her phone bill....give her a laptop.... and and and...

It's fantastic. She can work there from anywhere in the country. I can do what I do anywhere there are cars. Now that 2018 date represents a lot more freedom. I won't need to make what i do, or work as hard. I may choose to... but I won't NEED to.

People keep saying, 'good things happen to good people.' I hope that's true, but I've seen a lot of good people get shit on by life. I think being open to good things happening, working hard and being brave enough to take a risk or two might have more to do with it. In this case, I think it was more of a 'who you know' kind of thing. Anyway. I'm enjoying this moment, and feel good about the future. It could all change next week, but for now.... Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #1022
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I won't need to make what i do, or work as hard. I may choose to... but I won't NEED to.
You will.

Quote:
In this case, I think it was more of a 'who you know' kind of thing.
True, the opportunity came from who you know, but she busted her butt to have her ducks in a row when it did come, otherwise knowing the right people wouldn't mean jack shit. Amanda EARNED this job.
I knew she was too good for you.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #1023
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

All true

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #1024
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
...it's like we knew what we were doing or something.
I've suspected this on occasion.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #1025
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Damn dude !!!
Congrats !!
Old 04-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #1026
Griff
still says videotape

"I love it when a plan comes together."
Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #1027
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Well does this mean you moving to Boone? Don't wait until I am dead to visit my headstone.

Sent from my Z818L using Tapatalk
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #1028
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

No immediate plans to move, just kind of a far off dream.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #1029
captainhook455
Rapscallion

My tombstone will either say " if you can read this you are standing on my nuts" or" this tombstone was on sale".

Old 04-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #1030
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

If the county pays for one, I hope mine says "Go away."

Of course, Bruce's will say "Get off my lawn."

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #1031
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
No immediate plans to move, just kind of a far off dream.
But a little travel, no? To sunny Scotland .... ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #1032
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

would love to visit. get me a chunk of that Cheddah
Old 04-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #1033
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
would love to visit. get me a chunk of that Cheddah
Just let us know when to expect you. Fur realz.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #1034
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
Well does this mean you moving to Boone? Don't wait until I am dead to visit my headstone.

Your post reminded me of someone who gave me a tour of Boone where he had attended Appalachian State. He was a native of Drexel. Ever done any riding with the Knob Mountain Motorcycle Chapter (Knobbies) out of Morganton?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #1035
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Your post reminded me of someone who gave me a tour of Boone where he had attended Appalachian State. He was a native of Drexel. Ever done any riding with the Knob Mountain Motorcycle Chapter (Knobbies) out of Morganton?
I have only been to Boone a few times. The reference is something Jim said about retiring there and it was like a joke between us. I live in a town of 50 people on the toe of SSE NC. Five miles from the state line of the other Carolina. Thirty minutes by Harley from N. Myrtle Beach. I am in CBA/ABATE and the AMA, but must admit to being a lone wolf.