The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #1771
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Love your story slang, thanks!

Here, snow again. Slippery trip to work.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #1772
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
This snow is a little weird. It fell very light and fluffy but it adheres to itself. It is unfortunately not on top of any decent cover so you have occasional rocks and ice patches. The snow doesn't blow around enough to refill the tracks so the base remains sketchy.
I was out in Lancaster county last night and the light fine snow had blown across the road in spots with flat fields on both sides. It wasn't much, probably not over a quarter inch but as soon as a car drove across it instantly turned to ice. Not black ice but hard to see from a distance. The spots this occurred were often at the corner of fields, coincidentally that's the same place the road often changes direction.
Hey, don't worry, it's only icy at the corners. Very weird, never seen that before
Old 03-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #1773
Griff
still says videotape

@ slang is that the high ground that had an Indian Castle on it in pre-Revolutionary times?

1982 rural PA was pretty sweet. Pond hockey, snowmobiles, and underage drinking!
Old 03-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #1774
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang View Post
That does sound cold. Too cold for me. As an adult(ish) anyway.

I don't even think about snow much any more but your description brings back fond memories of our teenage, winter, all night mild mayhem weekends on round top park. 1982.

The sting of the cold air in our lungs was sharp. All skin had to be covered. You surely needed a full snowsuit. None of us had any body fat back then.

We had ATCs, skiis, toboggans and dirt bikes all running around by moon light. We had just about everything cept a horse there.

Guys would pull the sleds around with the ATCs. They'd wipe out, get back up and do it again. We'd laugh ourselves to tears.

We'd watch the skiers go down the back hill, then pull them back up. There were downhill and uphill tracks in the snow.

We would set up a kitchen in one of the pavilions. Someone there was always cooking hot dogs or something to eat on the grills.

There were guys shooting 22 pistols at cans on the pond over here, and people drinking whiskey and dancing crazy over there. Everyone was doing their thing in with no problems or hassles. Not even from the police.

I remember the bite of the cold most. Hands, feet, nose, eyes. Body parts don't work as well. Wear a ski mask with a cloth over your nose and mouth underneath. Just to be able to breath in warmer air.

And the laughing. To the point that your ribs would hurt. That you'd have to lay down in the snow just to straighten out.

Completely unsupervised rural teen weekend vehicular fun. There was no permanent damage to the park. There were no fatalities or even serious injuries. Not even pregnancies ( that I know of )

Wow, those were cool times. That was back when cold weather was fun for me.

Rural Pennsylvania. Early 80s. Honda XL500s
This sounds very much like the college graduation gift I bought myself in 1984.

It was one of those tourism company pre-packaged college ski trip deals to Jackson Hole. Ah, the memories of that first morning on the slopes.

Negative 24 degrees. Holy shit.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #1775
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
@ slang is that the high ground that had an Indian Castle on it in pre-Revolutionary times?
There's nothing specific to an Indian Castle that I could find. Maybe "little" round top as Gettysburg? There is a castle there.

They are different, yes. No, I don't think you're a dumbass

That's how I handle people that mix-match answers to my questions that don't fit.

slang: You think I don't know the difference between apples and oranges. I said I was looking for something on apples. You bring me oranges?

Anyway.

Maybe instead of a castle on round top park, Sullivan's march in 1779? And Fort Sullivan?

"Led by Major General John Sullivan and Brigadier General James Clinton, the expedition was conducted during the summer of 1779, beginning June 18 when the army marched from Easton, Pennsylvania, to October 3 when it abandoned Fort Sullivan, built at Tioga, to return to George Washington's main camp in New Jersey. While the campaign had only one major battle, at Newtown (since the tribes evacuated ahead of the large military force) along the Chemung River in western New York, the expedition severely damaged the Iroquois nations' economies by burning their crops, villages, and chattels, thus ruining the Iroquois technological infrastructure. With the Amerindians' shelter gone and food supplies destroyed, thereafter the strength of the Iroquois Confederacy was broken. The death toll from exposure and starvation dwarfed the casualties received in the Battle of Newtown, in which about 1,000 Iroquois and Loyalists were decisively defeated by an army of 3,200 Continental soldiers."

And this link about Fort Sullivan

"We took our time stopping to read the monuments and reflecting at the sacrifices the soldiers made for our freedom. The Fort was large and encompassed a large area of the neighborhood, including many private properties where private homes sit today."

Attached Images

slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #1776
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
1982 rural PA was pretty sweet. Pond hockey, snowmobiles, and underage drinking!
And whole milk. No skim.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #1777
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Love your story slang, thanks!
Thank you.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:09 PM   #1778
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
Negative 24 degrees. Holy shit.
Wow, yes. Ah, the things we can tolerate when we're young(er).
Old 03-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #1779
Griff
still says videotape

There was archeology done on one of the hills over near Athens, unrelated to Sullivan or R.E. Lee. I think it's private property today.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #1780
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Great.

I'll search Wikipedia, NYT, Wired, Reddit and themillenniumreport.com to see if I can find more info on it.

The issue sounds pretty interesting. It's been a very long time since I've given that place any thought.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #1781
Griff
still says videotape

Good luck! I found a couple vague references to it years ago. Apparently, a fair amount of plowing occurred at the site.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:46 AM   #1782
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I found this

https://twipa.blogspot.com/2012/03/b...-bradford.html

And some PDFs for $10.

Last edited by slang; 03-08-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #1783
Griff
still says videotape

Busy little beavers over there.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:35 AM   #1784
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Bradford County...
Quote:
...and in the period from 1850-1900 it led the nation in buckwheat production.
I didn't know there was more than one.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #1785
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Probably not what you were thinking of but just 2-3 miles up highway 220 from Round Top. Spanish Hill. Not known to be Indian but may well have been occupied before the Spanish because of it's strategic location and features.

Regardless, it has a pretty nice website. A good place to look through for the history.

Spanish Hill

Many people ask me why the hill is not preserved as a historic site and available for public use. A simple answer to that is that while there were many efforts to preserve the hill - they were not successful and it has remained private property.

It's the private property of a specific family. That specific family is one not to be played with. They are powerful. They can be nasty.

This is how the hill looked in the 1980's - and in this image you can see the clearing of ten acres that was enclosed with earthen embankments that were still visible up until around 100 years ago.

Some people believe that there is a great spirit today that has a thunderous voice and will put big holes in anyone who dares to go up there.
Attached Images