The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #46
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
@ The 42. I am going to be passed over for a full time job for someone who has a loud mouth. She acts like she is your friend to your face and gossips behind your back.She gossips about everyone to everyone.It's just not me. The new kids love her but the old schoolers like me distrust her.She is so police state. She suppects everyone is a theif. She went after the job I wanted. I was a shoe in for this job till she caught wind of it. I may not get it because of her family connections in this business. She is so like my list below.
1. People without integrity.
2. Abusive people
3. People who attempt to divide a community.
4.People who like drama.
5.TV evangelists.
6.Gossips.
7. People that have no manners.
My institution overpays and underpays, drastically either way in most cases. Those with what I call "easy-bake oven" Master's degrees (insert in one end and the paper comes out the other all ready to go) are lauded and lorded over, yet most don't know basic knowledge I received in a bachelor's program.
The phonies rise to the top like so much cream, while many of us are underpaid, struggling to live, and receiving the brunt of the belignorant students who we are "servicing."
Some days it's so hard to take. I tell myself God has a plan for me. I tell myself that water finds its own level. I take pride in what I do. Seems for naught.

So now I too have vented (this came right on the tail of an internal job posting offering wages around 10000 more than our new department person will be offered, while expecting no further education or customer service skills) and I thank you for opening up the floor for me.

Now, my addition to the list:

People with the depth of a mud puddle.

(I feel better)
Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #47
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
That saturday, the farmer drove the 45 minutes to the family's suburabn home and emptied thr trash bag out onto their lawn, then drove home.

It's how we do things up here.
Yeah but imagine if you were the guy whose next-door neighbor asked if they could borrow the SUV to take the family on a picnic!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #48
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
~snip
The phonies rise to the top like so much cream, while many of us are underpaid, struggling to live, and receiving the brunt of the belignorant students who we are "servicing."
Some days it's so hard to take. I tell myself God has a plan for me. I tell myself that water finds its own level. I take pride in what I do. Seems for naught.

Now, my addition to the list:

People with the depth of a mud puddle.

(I feel better)
aww, I'm sorry. I feel your pain. I know. I understand.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #49
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
aww, I'm sorry. I feel your pain. I know. I understand.
Thank you

Old 08-30-2006, 06:41 PM   #50
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
What's GA law?
Here they can float, but not allowed to touch bottom if it's posted, on water flowing through your property. If it originates on the property, can't float either.

The bitch is, whether it's posted or not, whether they are legal or not, if they get hurt, you are liable.
Far as I know the law is the same here.Problem is ...Bellsouth manages/Owns? the creekmouth and they don't post it. There's an underground main there methinks.

Also some of the property on the other side of the pond is leased. They know too that this is private, but they pulll the same inch by inch strategy as the creek people. People know I feed the fish over here, too which is a strike against capnhowdy's prognosis.

OK. I feel better now. Sorry. I'm thoo now.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #51
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Yeah but imagine if you were the guy whose next-door neighbor asked if they could borrow the SUV to take the family on a picnic!
D'oh!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:13 AM   #52
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Then I guess the SUV borrower would have two people pissed off at him.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:11 AM   #53
The 42
I'm not lurking, I'm stalking YOU!

Skysidhe: I feel your pain... I'm stuck in a dead end job for one more year because it's getting me my scholarship for college, but after that I'm outa here! Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that it's not worth changing jobs because of a bitch of a co-worker- you'll find people like that everywhere.

Hagar: 32 is NOT old! Talk to me when you turn forty. (That's middle age, so some people call it old) And this is coming from a "Young Person"! (20)
The 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:23 AM   #54
Shawnee123

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 42
Skysidhe: I feel your pain... I'm stuck in a dead end job for one more year because it's getting me my scholarship for college, but after that I'm outa here! Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that it's not worth changing jobs because of a bitch of a co-worker- you'll find people like that everywhere.

Hagar: 32 is NOT old! Talk to me when you turn forty. (That's middle age, so some people call it old) And this is coming from a "Young Person"! (20)
I feel the pain too.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:43 AM   #55
rkzenrage

Chaos-junkies
People who don't listen (most of my family, don't know how I ended-up being who I am and marrying my wife)
Prideful people (a lot of what I dislike comes from this, bad driving, rudeness, selfishness, close-mindedness, and the like)
People who ask caring questions when they don't really care about the answer (I get this a lot being in a wheelchair, the worst kind of patronizing)
Bad paint jobs
Ill fitting clothes
Shop helpers that stalk you & won't shut-up
Busybodies
Old 08-31-2006, 11:46 AM   #56
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 42

~snip
The 42. wow That is so awesome to be getting a scholarship! Congradulations on that! What will you be taking in college??

Actually I am not exactly stuck. And neither are you by the way. I will be seeking employment which is more inline with my degree even if it means working two jobs again this fall. I am good with this. This could be a blessing in disguise.

Thank you both The 42 and Shawnee123.I appreciate the support more than you could imagine.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:41 AM   #57
The 42
I'm not lurking, I'm stalking YOU!

I'm going to be majoring in Music and Psychology, hopefully (I want to go into music therapy) It's not a full scholarship, but it's an enorumous help- possibly more help than working for a year and using that money would be.

And now for my new addition to the list:

1)People who only listen to what you're saying for long enough to find a flaw and then ignore you or interrupt you with a correction

2)People who act extremely conscending toward people even slightly less intelligent than themselves, even if it's only in one particular area

3)All people who make mean-hearted fun of retarted or otherwise mentally impaired people, and of course people who make fun of physically handicapped people who are probably even smarter than they are!

4)My cat! Half the time you can't walk by her nowadays without her taking a swat at you with all claws extended, and all petters are at risk of being bitten with no warning. She used to be so cute and gentle! (And yes, she has been fixed so there's no reason for her to be this way
The 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #58
Shawnee123

To add to the list:

When the happy birthday thread is the last thread responded to in Home Base so everytime I pull up the Cellar I see Happy Birthday.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #59
Brooke of the Land
obsequious purple and clairvoiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
If you can't seat someone to serve an enchilada in 45 minutes, I think the customer has a right to discuss with their party whether your enchiladas are worth waiting 45 minutes for, or if they should seek a meal elsewhere. That's how the world truly works outside your corner of it.

Why worry about the other people in line?...after all, you can't seat them anyway.

If you have such contempt for your customers, maybe you should consider a line of work with less customer contact. I'm sure the back of the house can find you something to do making enchiladas. Perhaps you can discover the recipe secret that would make them worth waiting 45 minutes for the privilege of ordering them.
I have no control over how many people decide to come eat enchiladas. In fact, it doesn't bother me that people decide not to wait that long to eat - there are better places to go with less waiting, and I get that, and that is perfectly okay with me. I just happen to be a patient person, and don't mind hanging out for a little bit of chit-chat time with the people I enjoy in my life.

I've worked at this place long enough to know that there's no reason to worry about who else is walking in the door, and how long they're going to have to wait (or not). There's nothing I can do to change their wait time, short of asking people who are already eating to please leave so that those whose tummies are empty can be served. But you can only deal with one party on the list at a time, so that's all I'm concerned about.

I do not have a contempt for every customer that walks in the door. As a matter of fact, the majority of the people that come in to eat are wonderful, gracious people who I enjoy building a rapport with, if for no other reason than to make their visit more enjoyable. However, since this is the rant thread, that's what I did - about the select guests who do come in and make life miserable. While this is only a college job to pay the bills and I certainly won't be making a career out of it, I do enjoy going to work much of the time. As I said, there are nice people in the world, and they tend to counter-balance all those people who turn out to be not quite as nice.

As for work in the back of house... well, I have no reason to prove my worth here to you, but suffice it to say that I am not above washing some dishes when the dishwasher breaks, or slicing some vegetables when Berna has the flu. I pull my weight (and often more) at work, so I think I'm allowed to grumble.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #60
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke of the Land
While this is only a college job to pay the bills and I certainly won't be making a career out of it, I do enjoy going to work much of the time.
You're not supposed to enjoy it. College jobs exist to give you incentive to make good grades and graduate -- so that you don't have to have a job like that forever.