The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why in hell do you make the bed? Don't you want the farts to dissipate before you get back in it? And you are going to get back in it, which means unmaking it again. What a waste of time and effort.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #17
Juniper
I know, right?

According to Home Comforts by Cheryl Mendelson you are supposed to air your bed for a while before making it. She says to drape the covers over a chair while you shower and brush your teeth in the morning. That way the humidity you exude while snoozing can dry out and your bed won't grow mold.

Yes, I read books to find out just how bad I am at this homemaking thing.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh great, now you want me to shower and brush my teeth, too.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #19
SamIam

Its such a dry climate where I live that a mold would be completely desiccated in about 5 seconds.

And Bruce, ALL housework is like that. I wash dishes just to use them over again and get them dirty. I sweep up the dirt from a plant knocked over by my kitten only to have her tip over another plant before I even put the broom and dustpan away.

That's why I hate housework. Its like that guy who had to keep pushing a huge rock up the hill. What was his name? Something like Sissiepuss?
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #20
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I do the dishes every morning, make my bed, straighten up.

real cleaning? Only when I can't stand it anymore. When it plays on my nerves. THEN i get down with comet, scrubbies and bleach.

Life's too short and all that. However, if I had the money, I'd have a cleaner in once a DAY. I've three kitties and a doggie and an 18 year old who thinks putting the paper on the roll is "bourgeois"- which drives me insane.
About the same especially the bold part. It's good to see. That misery loves company thing. I thought I was failing because I am pretty sure I could do this task way before then.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #21
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I live alone, so have only myself to please. I'll admit right up front that housework is not a priority for me. I'll let my dishes pile up for 2 or 3 days before I wash them. I do make my bed everyday and try to keep my living room free of clutter. Right now, I'm working myself up to do a thorough vacuming of my apartment. Is anyone else as laissez faire as me?

I would be, but my wife keeps our house so clean it's been referred to as "sterile", "hospital like", and "cold". She literally can't sleep if she knows there is a dirty dish in the sink. We recently had a HUGE fight because she walked in the door and saw 2 or 3 crumbs on the floor because I carried a pizza box from the living room to the kitchen and didn't see them drop.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #22
lookout123
changed his status to single

Dishes are done and put away after dinner, beds made in the morning, toys and the like should at least be picked up if not actually put away every night. The roomba is run daily. The cleaning ladies come every 3 weeks to really do it right.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #23
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
We recently had a HUGE fight because she walked in the door and saw 2 or 3 crumbs on the floor because I carried a pizza box from the living room to the kitchen and didn't see them drop.
She let you eat pizza in the living room?!? Is she crazy?!?

Yes, I am OCD when it comes to my home. Not to the point of being sterile or cold, but enough that I'm not tripping over shoes, or writing in the dust. Luckily PotR likes it clean too, so she does her share.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #24
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Jeezly crow! How can all you people afford to have housekeepers?!?

*wishes she could afford a housekeeper*
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #25
Pie
Gone and done

1. Housekeeper makes less than my hourly wage.
2. I'd rather work at my day job than clean my house
3. Work a little extra, pay for her to clean my house.
4. Housekeeper sends herself to college, becomes a brain surgeon.
5. Profit!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #26
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche View Post
She let you eat pizza in the living room?!? Is she crazy?!?

Yes, I am OCD when it comes to my home. Not to the point of being sterile or cold, but enough that I'm not tripping over shoes, or writing in the dust. Luckily PotR likes it clean too, so she does her share.
She wasn't home when I ate it. It was leftover pizza from the night before.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #27
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i care about tidy. jinx cares about clean. the damn weiner kids dont care about anything. pigdogs is right.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #28
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
Jeezly crow! How can all you people afford to have housekeepers?!?

*wishes she could afford a housekeeper*
It's a matter of choosing your priorities. For us, our fairy is an essential. But if you want more detail ... our annual income for two people is around $24,000 (and that's not each!). I think what makes it workable is that the house is debt-free (). Beyond that we have the most basic TV package, we don't spend much on phone bills, we never buy new furniture, we spend perhaps $1,500/year on holidays, mostly buy clothes in thrift shops so spend perhaps $500/year on clothes ... I think those are probably the areas where we differ most from other people. On the other hand, a disproportionately large amount of the household income is spent on music, one way or another ...
Old 12-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #29
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
It's a matter of choosing your priorities. For us, our fairy is an essential. But if you want more detail ... our annual income for two people is around $24,000 (and that's not each!). I think what makes it workable is that the house is debt-free (). Beyond that we have the most basic TV package, we don't spend much on phone bills, we never buy new furniture, we spend perhaps $1,500/year on holidays, mostly buy clothes in thrift shops so spend perhaps $500/year on clothes ... I think those are probably the areas where we differ most from other people. On the other hand, a disproportionately large amount of the household income is spent on music, one way or another ...
And you probably don't pay for health insurance.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #30
Juniper
I know, right?

When I went back to college, I got a quote from a maid service. Granted, it was one of the famous "name brand" maid services, and a private contractor would have been cheaper. But there was no way in Hades I could have afforded that even once a week. And to be honest, in order to be effective in this place, we'd need it more than once a week.

In fact, I think when she toured my house she gave a super-high rate just to scare me off, because my house scared her off.

It scares me, too.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote