The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

View Poll Results: how much do you like music?
Most music is swell 9 40.91%
I like more than I dislike 9 40.91%
I like half of it 2 9.09%
I dislike more than I like 2 9.09%
Most music out there suxors 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

do you like music?

in a general sense....how much of the music you hear in your daily life do you like?

interpret that as you will....
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
glatt

I only listen to the music I like, and my wife has similar taste in music. Work is music free. So the music I hear each day is mostly good.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Flint
Snowflake

I love music and I will find something in it to like, even if it does not fit within my general taste (which is vast to begin with). Things to appreciate about music that is not immediately appealing to me: analysis of a technical concept or unfamiliar use of instrumentation, exposure to a culture/demographic/lifestyle which I am unfamiliar with, or quite often--an analysis of what the artist intended is what I find most fascinating. If I do not immediately appreciate a piece of music, I assume that the fault lies within myself. That is, I have to adapt my mind to be receptive to the qualities that the piece of music was intended to convey.

Music which I might classify as "bad" would be when the artist has no clear vision of what they are trying to do, or when they fail to execute the vision that it appears they intended to convey. Or, when they set out to do something stupid to begin with, and succeed. Of course, with all of the above examples, something really awesome sometimes gets created almost accidentally.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 10-02-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:40 AM   #4
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Most music that I hear is swell - because I've chosen to hear it (or Best Beloved has and I like his taste in music). Sometimes I am exposed to what the "youth of today" chooses to listen to, and it's awful. But I know that I sound like the parents (or, indeed grandparents) of these young people ...
Old 10-03-2009, 04:56 AM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I'd say I'm with Flint on this one. I like good and interesting, or well-crafted examples of pretty much any genre. Most of what I hear is either through my Brother and the girls, or the music that's chosen to play over the coming soon on radio or tv. I don't often go looking for music it's just around. When i do go looking for something it becomes an obsession and I usually end up wikiing the artists and genre.

For deliberate listening I usually head for something instrumental rather than lyrical. I'm very into how music is used on tv and in radio. I particularly am interested in the use of leitmotif and that tends to lead me into acquiring series theme albums (such as the BSG albums by Bear McCreary).

I rarely hear music I don't like. Most things that happen across my path are good, or interesting, or both. Maybe it's brave, or audacious. Anything that doesn't sound cynical about itself.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Or, when they set out to do something stupid to begin with, and succeed.
I'm gonna assume this includes every commercial country tune made in the last two decades.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I like all music. I refuse to listen to rap, but that shit ain't music anyway.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
Cloud

Random music on the radio--I like about 30%. Most music I listen to everyday is my own, so yeah, I like almost all of it. For the most part, I enjoy mellower music than I used to, though.

I was a bit taken aback by the question. Who doesn't like "music" -- of some sort, anyway.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'll listen to almost anything...from ABBA to Johnny Cash to Pearl Jam to Public Enemy. I just like what sounds good to me.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Well, hmm.

That's a hard one for me. I would say 75% of the music I hear in a day I am actually invested in (playing, rehearsing, writing, teaching), and that does funny things to the way you listen. I don't often get to just put something on, turn off the brain, and just soak in it. I'm usually listening in order to hear and correct something.

I don't listen to music on the commute or at home much. Incidental music (elevators, malls) I usually tune out, unless I'm in a really bad mood, and then it seems like the only thing I can hear.

When I do listen to music at home, it's usually with my kids, and they rock out to the classics - Aretha, Stevie Wonder, U2, Tower of Power, all of which are 100% guaranteed to put a huge smile on my face, every time.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
I don't listen to music on the commute...
No listening to the car radio, just whatever happens to be on?
Old 10-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I find myself just enjoying silence more when I'm driving. When I was driving out to my last job (30 miles away), I would turn off the radio some mornings.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

These days, the only music I hear comes from bars, restaurants, and other people's cars. I love the music at the bars and restaurants I patronize; the jazz band at dinner last night was fantastic! Most of the other places we go also have jazz, or eclectic DJs.

But I hate pretty much all of the music I hear coming from places I'm not at; probably because most of what I can hear is bass only. While I'm trying to work, sleep, or watch TV. And the meatheads who sometimes sit in the parking lot near my house, blasting their stereos...I superhate them. They could be playing Soundgarden, even, and I would despise them.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Good music is the best thing since the Big Bang - and as thin on the ground as the 2.7°K background radiation.

"Random music on the radio--I like about 30%." [Cloud]
That would be about 0.0001% for me, so I stick to special (and sadly rare) programmes or text heavy channels.

I'm on my own, so I listen only to what I like or try somehing new.
I travel throughout Europe to see/hear my favourite band. I'm lucky, as I often get to dine with them afterwards.
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No listening to the car radio, just whatever happens to be on?
NPR