The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #46
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
In the meantime, if I come across any young rich bitches looking for a father figure, I'll drop your name.
Ahem...Sexobon, old friend...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #47
CujoDeSockpuppet
Resident-in-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
When you turned 50, you became old for everything. After Obamacare went into effect, mandating that health insurance cover preexisting conditions, employer recourse was in not hiring older people to minimize the possibility of insurance claims that would significantly raise their corporate insurance premiums.

Insurance that enables those with preexisting conditions to survive is a great thing; but, it comes at a price for those over 50 who aren't making enough (where you're making six figures) for businesses to offset the risk of increased insurance expenses that would trickle down to all their employees as higher premiums; or, lesser coverage.

Look for jobs at large corporations which are in a better position to accept that risk and absorb an increase in insurance costs. They're more flexible with hiring age. Look for jobs at other places that don't include benefits where you can negotiate wages that will make buying your own insurance affordable. Go to all interviews looking healthy with vitality; otherwise, at your age you might as well show up with a lit cigarette in hand.

Best wishes on finding a good full time benefited position. In the meantime, if I come across any young rich bitches looking for a father figure, I'll drop your name.
Not sure if I buy all that. I can get contract positions any time I want. I don't think I'd have a problem getting a new permanent job either but after I negotiated my current position I'm pretty much in the "dangerously close to overpaid" category to any permanent employer that isn't a consulting company or vendor. I've had my fill of that environment previously and chose to seek a secure position.

Because of the considerable perks I get, I'm unlikely to move on at this point anyway. In addition to being a very ethical company, I get all their products at cost and this includes premium pet food that goes to local no-kill shelters. I've probably donated at least 4 tons of premium food and likely more since I've been employed there. There's a decent work vs. life balance for a DBA/administrator and my family likes the area.

Since the company I'm employed at *mostly* hires internally for technical positions via promotion from lower ranks, the people they do get aren't very good initially and don't have the seasoning an experienced consultant has. So there's a fair amount of security in terms of my being the last person they'd get rid of. This isn't an IBM-type environment that's shipping jobs overseas and terminating careers of good people to make quarterly earnings.

But large companies are more likely to hire a F/T worker over 50. People will hire experience when you can demonstrate business value. In my case I spent 20 months as a consultant before they hired me full time. At the time, I had planned to turn it down but a medical crisis in my family pretty much forced my hand.

Good luck in your job hunt, Tony. One piece of advice and you probably don't need it: tailor your resume to the position. For contracting and consulting positions, I have a far more technical one that's meant for IT management. For others where fscking HR steps in first, a resume keyed to business benefits seems to work better. Mind you, HR is the kiss of death in contracting, they're only there to say no but it's usually unavoidable for permanent positions.
CujoDeSockpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #48
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Some of your points reminded me of an article I just read on how to make one's job more secure during the next (impending) recession.

Here's Why These 3 Types of Workers Will Lose Their Jobs in the Next Recession
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote