The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

4/2/2005: Man-made islands in Dubai

The IotD has previously featured the world's most remarkable hotel and Tiger Woods teeing off from it. This week they announced that Dubai will soon be the location of the tallest building in the world. But I had not seen this before, man-made islands off the coast.

The first two images here are two different artist's impressions of the "World Project", creating a set of islands in the shape of all the world's continents. This was announced a few months ago and is supposed to be done by 2008. Below are the Palm Islands which are nearly complete.

I'm sure what we're also seeing here is Too Much Damn Oil Money. One thing is certain: this will destroy coral reefs, although they are trying to rebuild them after.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I once had a calendar which consisted of architects drawings of futuristic homes and even a man-made island/ship. I was never sure if any of them were ever built.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

as long as Tiger is, I don't think you have to worry about his tee shots harming any coral reefs........
Old 04-02-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Maybe they should get together with this guy...

The nation of New Utopia will be a principality, regulated by a formal declaration of sovereignty and a constitution, somewhat resembling the Principality of Monaco.

LEGISLATION:

Specific legislation will be enacted by the Board of Governors for the purpose of regulating commercial enterprise and ensuring the rights of the citizens of the Principality. Members of the Board of Governors will be granted Knighthood.
GOVERNMENTAL INDEPENDENCE:

The Principality will reject any foreign aid or assistance which requires certain concessions be granted, if those concessions would violate the constitution and covenants of the Principality of New Utopia.
OVERVIEW:
The Principality of New Utopia is a constitutional sovereignty based on the principles of free enterprise and capitalism, embracing a substantially tax free economy, with assurance of freedom and privacy in connection with any commercial enterprise.

INTERNATIONAL ASPECTS:

The Principality of New Utopia plans to promote the development of banking, financial services, insurance, trust and securities brokerage services, and many other businesses. Privacy and freedom are assured by the laws of the Principality of New Utopia, which will attract people worldwide to avail themselves of the freedom.

The Principality plans to have within it the finest hospital in the world, with anti-aging and longevity departments. Any treatment may be available to which the patient and the patient's physician agree.

Dual citizenship is recognized by the Principality, and it offers citizenship to those of good character and the financial means to support themselves and their dependents.

Businesses of every kind are needed and encouraged in our new country. The Principality encourages owners and managers of businesses to examine the potential of New Utopia. Persons seeking employment are also welcome.
SECURITY:

The Principality of New Utopia will be constructed in such a way that each platform, which makes up a city block, is surrounded by water. This will make the policing of it a much easier task. Crime should be virtually non-existent.

Financial security and government stability will give dependable continuity to those who invest or depend on the reliability of banking institutions to keep their assets safe. The Principality of New Utopia will have the most stringent secrecy laws that exist anywhere in the world to govern the banking and investment institutions of New Utopia.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:17 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There was another, similar project that failed about 15 years ago.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

UT:
"I'm sure what we're also seeing here is Too Much Damn Oil Money."

BigV:
And Too Much Time...but mostly money.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:01 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Let's see now, middle of the ocean but I don't see which one. No matter, the middle of ALL the oceans are really, really, really deep, so will it float? Or will they use Australia for fill?

And middle of the ocean, isn't that where those big storms routinely kick up 60 to 100 foot waves that sink navel vessels?

Anybody know what that big island laying across the bottom of the map is?

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-02-2005 at 11:04 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:19 PM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
--snip--
The continent of Antarctica in a Mercator projection.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:34 AM   #9
Syrinx
Complex Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
The Principality of New Utopia will be constructed in such a way that each platform, which makes up a city block, is surrounded by water. This will make the policing of it a much easier task. Crime should be virtually non-existent.
Pardon my skepticism, but how would having water around the block make crime "virtually non-existent"? As long as people can get to/from the blocks, crime will exist. Maybe not simple robberies and such, but that certainly doesn't cover the gamut. Water ain't gonna stop someone from doing industrial espionage, embezzling, or setting up a front for a fraud operation.
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:30 AM   #10
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Let's see now, middle of the ocean but I don't see which one. No matter, the middle of ALL the oceans are really, really, really deep, so will it float? Or will they use Australia for fill?

And middle of the ocean, isn't that where those big storms routinely kick up 60 to 100 foot waves that sink navel vessels?

From the Yahoo picture link: "...has been started 4 kms (2.5 miles) offshore from Dubai in Gulf waters..." Looks pretty cool, feel bad for any coral reef they're going to be destroying. You can't just "rebuild" living habitats for thoursands of creatures.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:51 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My bad, Bullitt. I should had been specific, I was referring to "New Utopia" from the link in post #4.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
mrnoodle
bent

Some of my favorite bits:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Lazarus
The founders and charter citizens of New Utopia consist of an organized movement of like minded independent libertarian individuals, who have embraced the major political and philosophical principles expounded by the late Ayn Rand, Napoleon Hill, and Robert Heinlein. Absolute economic freedom; Capitalism in its purest form, shall reign supreme, in this new country, where earnings - the fruits of mankind's labors - shall never be subject to confiscation by the government. It is the purpose of the founding citizens to create, in New Utopia, the ultimate "heaven."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Lazarus
When you, as a person of "Good Character", make a contribution of $1500 USD or more to the New Utopian government and pledge loyalty to the Principality you, your spouse, and your children will be invited to become Charter Citizens.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2005, 10:27 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why am I not surprised this egotistical, royalty wannabe, quotes Ayn Rand.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:05 PM   #14
Angus
Angus O'Mann, Poet Laureate, New Utopia

My friends, sarcasm is easy. Any and every dullard can do it. It may feel good to take easy potshots in a little group of like-minded conformist peers, each showing off the little bits of Junior College education that managed to embed itself in your grey matter between bong hits. It is easy because you do not expect to be challenged. And if you are, somehow, you will respond with more superficial sarcasm. You can pretend that it passes for substance, that it is a suitable replacement for a moral stance, or a point-of-view, but it does not.

What do you know of Ayn Rand? The book cover, or the wisdom bestowed CliffsNotes? You know nothing of Ayn Rand... or you would show more respect. And you know nothing of Prince Lazarus Long, of Queen Maureen, or of the Principality of New Utopia. This is a man who dares to answer Thoeau's challenge, to not only build castles in the air, but to put the foundation under them. I am proud to be part of the cadre of Believers who will follow this man to the end of the Earth, no matter how ludicrous detractors judge the effort.

As you read the following poem, ask yourself: Which are you? Then proceed to ridicule me at will. I may be a fool, but I know which I am.

Poem: "There are few who build up/And many tear down/But most just keep buzzing/ Around and around."

Angus O'Mann, Poet Laureate, Principality of New Utopia
Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #15
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Oh this oughta be good...