Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #151
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
This kind of parenting creates bullies.
This philosophy is used in almost all martial arts. You NEVER start a fight and try to avoid them if you can but if you are ever placed in a situation where you need to fight, train so you can defend yourself. This philosophy will usually not create bullies but quite the opposite.

Bullies are not created from learning how to fight. Bullies are created when learning and embracing that using force on someone you perceive as weaker than yourself will benefit you somehow.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #152
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Wait - I see a pattern here. Someone asks a question... Spexx posts that the discussion is over. I guess he really does believe in avoiding conflict at all costs.

Honestly I think someone has stolen Spexx's login. I've never liked the guy but I thought he actually posted some worthwhile stuff. Recently he is like a clone of TW if you changed the flavor of paranoia and removed the original content.
Oh oh oh, look my stalker troll has come out to play.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #153
lookout123
changed his status to single

This discussion is over.

Look look, I'm walking away... does this mean I'm growing?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #154
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Old 03-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #155
lookout123
changed his status to single

You seriously have to quit losing weight Jim. I like the hair though.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #156
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I'd also suggest that giving the kid a hard shove or a punch could lead to the same or worse injuries.
I'd suggest that picking someone up, turning them upside down and slamming them bodily onto a concrete surface with a brick wall in the way has way more potential to cause crippling injuries than a shove or punch. Not to say shoves and punches are risk free, but the pile drive move is really something that should only be used when on a sprung surface. Preferably having both had training in how to fall.

Quote:
Either you're against violence as an effective way to end conflict or you're not.
That's total nonsense. That's like saying if I am in favour of the kid throwing a punch I am equally in favour of him pulling out a knife and slashing the other kid across the face. Violence exists on a sliding scale.

Violence can be an effective way to end conflict. There are times when it is the only way. But that doesn't mean all levels of violence are acceptable.

Quote:
No disrespect Dana, but why do you get to decide what the right amount of violence is?
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought we were having a discussion and expressing our opinions on the issue. I don't 'get to decide' for anybody what level of violence is right. Nor do you. Stalemate. ffs.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #157
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

You can whip me, beat me, make me write bad checks ...
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #158
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I'd suggest that picking someone up, turning them upside down and slamming them bodily onto a concrete surface with a brick wall in the way has way more potential to cause crippling injuries than a shove or punch. Not to say shoves and punches are risk free, but the pile drive move is really something that should only be used when on a sprung surface. Preferably having both had training in how to fall.
All I'm saying is that no matter what level of violence you use, there is a potential to cause serious harm. What if he'd shoved him and the boy had hit his head on the concrete? Same outcome.

Quote:
That's total nonsense. That's like saying if I am in favour of the kid throwing a punch I am equally in favour of him pulling out a knife and slashing the other kid across the face. Violence exists on a sliding scale.

Violence can be an effective way to end conflict. There are times when it is the only way. But that doesn't mean all levels of violence are acceptable.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought we were having a discussion and expressing our opinions on the issue. I don't 'get to decide' for anybody what level of violence is right. Nor do you. Stalemate. ffs.
My point is Dana, that you're saying it's ok to go so far, but not as far as that. Why is one thing ok and not another? Maybe the victim had tried pushing himself away in the past and to no effect? Maybe he decided on a definitive ending to the situation. That's what it looked like to me.

As I said, no disrespect intended at all, but I don't understand (honestly), how you can say it's ok to push or punch someone, but it's not ok to use a different level of force.

Oh sure I understand the concept of reasonable force and all that, but seriously, we're expecting kids to be able to make that sort of judgement call when they're in a desperate situation? I don't think so.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #159
monster
I hear them call the tide

^wss
Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #160
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I still say, beat the fuck out of the bullies and diminish their base of operation....
Old 04-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #161
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Here is the other boy's side of the story.....

Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #162
anonymous
Operations Operative

He seems like a smart intuitive kid.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #163
monster
I hear them call the tide

Right on Casey. I hope you never need to do that again.