The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #46
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimendocina View Post
I saw Pulp Fiction on a small screen TV on a cargo ship which was making its way through the Chilean archipelago and probably because of the surroundings (airport lounge type scenario on the boat...it was completely clouded and fogged in outside, so we didn't even see much of the islands) don't remember much of it. It hadn't even crossed my mind until now to watch it again in a more cinematic atmosphere.
I think Pulp gets better the more you watch it. You start to see the order of things, since the story is told out of order. I like to watch any movie I like more than once, to catch things I missed before, but Pulp Fiction is the granddaddy of rewatchable, in my opinion.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #47
casimendocina
Professor

Cool. I'll give it a go in a couple of months.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #48
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I hated his accent the first few times I saw it. I thought it sounded dead false. Then some Americans told me they thought he was American, so I guess it was more about expectations of Hugh laurie than any real understanding of the accent on my part.

It's taken a few years for House to really break over here. He is such a household name in Britain, that people were not ready to accept him as an American at all.

@ Shaw: I'd agree with that.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #49
Shawnee123

I never really knew much about Hugh Laurie before House, so the american accent seems normal to me.

And I LOVE House. He is awesome, the show is awesome.

@ casi: I've always like Scrubs, too. Funny show. I think my favorite is Turk.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #50
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

As an actor/person I think Hugh Laurie is great.

I didn't know he was from Oxford nor that he attended Cambridge and Eton so I didn't notice any accent at all.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #51
DanaC

Over here he isn't just well-known, he's a 'national treasure' along with his comedy partner and best friend Stephen Fry. Both are known as quintessentially English, in a rather old-fashioned sort of a way. So hearing him with an American accent was something of a shock :P
Old 01-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #52
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

What I was going to say and didn't was that now knowing I did recognize a bit of polish and that probably comes from his education.

I'll have to look up 'Fry and Laurie'.

There are some great quotes at imdb.com
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #53
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Watched "Up" night before last. I thought it was wonderful. Also caught "Sunshine Cleaning" for the first time. Well played movie, but had the typical handmade, choppy feel of a lot of indie films.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #54
Shawnee123

I just saw Sunshine Cleaning, finished about half an hour ago. I loved it, but I love indie films. The acting was super, Amy Adams, Alan Arkin, Emily Blunt, and another chameleon, Clifton Collins Jr.

I love the real-lifeness of indies, the grittiness, the rawness.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #55
Juniper
I know, right?

Ew, Pulp Fiction was the only movie ever that I could not watch the whole thing. Fortunately we rented it, so I just went elsewhere while DH watched. I guess I could give it another try, but there are so many other good movies to watch, I probably won't.

I also love House, though it seems really repetitive in theme and structure and gets on my nerves. Yeah, he's a damaged, Byronic asshole, but really smart. I get it.

I'd already been introduced to Laurie as "American" in the Stuart Little movies so it wasn't a leap, but yes, I did know he was English and had quite an illustrious career as such. Actually his "American" accent grates on me because I find it really nasal, but that's probably just me.

I've been on a 19th century period piece kick. Watched Middlemarch, Lost in Austen, Under the Greenwood Tree, Vanity Fair.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #56
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Ew, Pulp Fiction was the only movie ever that I could not watch the whole thing.
Heh. Selene is so funny about certain things, and Pulp Fiction is one of them. When we first got together, she would tell me again and again that I needed to see this film, because it was so great...although she would never watch it again because it was so disturbing. She was right - one of the best films evah.

Quote:
I also love House, though it seems really repetitive in theme and structure and gets on my nerves. Yeah, he's a damaged, Byronic asshole, but really smart. I get it.
I find it slightly bizarre that, despite the fact that "House" is the same story over and over and over, I am addicted to it. I may figure out why someday, but until then, I'm just going to enjoy it.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #57
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Pulp Fiction is the only movie I ever, out of the blue, got a craving for.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #58
DanaC

House is addictive because of the backstory' also because he is an 'archetype'. he's based very much on Sherlock Holmes. Now, I adore Sherlock Holmes, but his stories are just as formulaic as those of House.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #59
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering when people are going to finally cotton-on to Tarantino and see him for the sociopath he is.
You didn't figure that out while you were watching Reservoir Dogs? Like in the first 15 minutes?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #60
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Saw Paranormal Activity - wasnt impressed at all. Saw Public Enemies - it entertained. Saw Sherlock Holmes - what a blast! Downey Jr. and Law were fantastic. Just got home from watching Avatar and my eyes are a still a bit swollen from crying. Must be hormones. It was a great film.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote