The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 09-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #4636
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/nake...e-rabaul-1944/

Quote:
This young crewman of a US Navy “Dumbo” PBY rescue mission has just jumped into the water of Rabaul Harbor to rescue a badly burned Marine pilot who was shot down while bombing the Japanese-held fortress of Rabaul. Since Japanese coastal defense guns were firing at the plane while it was in the water during take-off, this brave young man, after rescuing the pilot, manned his position as machine gunner without taking time to put on his clothes. A hero photographed right after he’d completed his heroic act. Naked.
The "blister" toward the back of the plane is his position

http://legendsintheirowntime.com/PBY...203_p177_W.png

Last edited by footfootfoot; 09-12-2015 at 10:19 AM.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #4637
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Nice find, Feet! Thanks for the backstory.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:33 AM   #4638
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Strange, history records the photographer and the pilot who was shot down, but not the name of the naked gunner who had rescued the pilot.

"PBY Air Sea rescue plane picks up Lt. Robert A. Schaeffer, badly burned USMC F-4-U pilot of Dayton Ohio, shot down in St. Georges Channel near Rabaul. Gunner who helped bring in pilot is back at station." April 1944: St. Georges Channel; Horace Bristol; 80-G-473978."
Old 09-13-2015, 08:52 AM   #4639
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

So, it's a sea rescue plane, which means pretty much every rescue includes jumping in the water. They didn't see fit to issue him appropriate water clothes, I can accept that--the military had other things to spend its money on, for one thing, and guys swimming naked wasn't a huge deal then, to the point that wearing some kind of swimsuit might have even seemed feminine in its modesty. But the Pacific Ocean is cold, that had to interfere with the rescuer's muscles upon being plunged in. And I would imagine that since time was of the essence, guys like this were probably just hanging out naked for most of the flight out there, waiting for the moment the downed plane was spotted to jump in. I wonder if this sort of thing happened all the time.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #4640
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

At least give him a jockstrap for hitting the water. After he was in that cold Pacific it would be moot.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #4641
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Since they were being shot at, before, during, and after the rescue, I would imagine that time was of the essence.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #4642
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
So, it's a sea rescue plane, which means pretty much every rescue includes jumping in the water. They didn't see fit to issue him appropriate water clothes, I can accept that--the military had other things to spend its money on, for one thing, and guys swimming naked wasn't a huge deal then, to the point that wearing some kind of swimsuit might have even seemed feminine in its modesty. But the Pacific Ocean is cold, that had to interfere with the rescuer's muscles upon being plunged in. And I would imagine that since time was of the essence, guys like this were probably just hanging out naked for most of the flight out there, waiting for the moment the downed plane was spotted to jump in. I wonder if this sort of thing happened all the time.
That's why god invented adrenalin.

Also I'm pretty sure the gunner isn't intended to jump from his gun into the water as SOP. Probably he saw what needed to be done and leapt in.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #4643
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  enjoylifeeatoutmoreoften.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  98.0 KB

Go grandma!

Old 09-18-2015, 12:19 AM   #4644
it
Banned

I am pretty sure the entire website can fit into this thread, so I'll just put in a couple of my favorites:

http://oglaf.com/archive/
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #4645
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

In "missed connections", on CraigsList:

Name:  at the bills game.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  65.7 KB

Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #4646
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

And *this* is why I love football.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #4647
it
Banned

Apparently dr. Seuss actual attempt at erotica and/or homework for what I assume is a horribly failed anatomy lesson, before settling for children stories.

it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #4648
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dr Seuss grew up in the same place as Timothy Leary.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #4649
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Whos from Whoville don't have nipples?

Old 10-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #4650
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Can't join the plumbers union either.