The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 03-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #106
King
Conquistador

I see where you're coming from; winning trophies isn't everything. But that said I do want us to win every game. It's the nature of being a fan to want your team to be successful, and when you have all the tools necessary for success but you still aren't getting it, it can be frustrating. I prefer to look to the future though rather than looking at what we missed out on, though.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #107
King
Conquistador

I haven't been able to post in a while but a lot has happened. Manchester United are now 5 points clear of Chelsea at the top of the Premiership with 3 games each to go. 3 out of the 4 Champions' League semi-finalists are English, which along with the high standards that United and Chelsea have set domestically makes me think that the Premiership has been by far the best league in the world this season. Unbelievable season so far. Oh and I'm going to post this picture, well, just because I like it.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #108
lookout123
changed his status to single

your boys are doing just great King. I hope they stick it to Chelsea every chance they get. I'd much rather see a Manchester United v Liverpool Champions League, though. Of course if I'm making wish list how about 1) Mourinho figuring out that anybody not wearing Blue feels he is a whiny little biotch, 2) Abromovich deciding he doesn't really like owning the side that much, and quit investing in it while the players have a mass exodus (mid-table here we come!), 3) Tottenham supporters make a move to becoming the classiest fans in England (ha ha ha), 4) Arsenal settle all the boardroom upheaval, 5) Henry, Van Persie, Fabergas, Rosicky, Adebayor, Hleb, Silva, Gallas stay healthy and combine beautiful football with finding the back of the net. Come on, Untouchables round two anyone? One can dream.

While I'm at it I'd like to see the FA get a better quality coach. Mainly one that understands picking the best player for each position doesn't guarantee success. Finding the right balance of egos and skills does. Gerrard and Lampard CANNOT play together, figure it out already.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #109
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hey lookout! Long time no see! How're things?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #110
lookout123

things are great! just busy as usual. i don't have enough time to keep up on all the new threads and new cellarites so i just pop in to browse when one of the old topics i was involved in resurfaces.

*still waiting for more photos of labrat*
Old 05-13-2007, 10:27 PM   #111
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Sheffield United could drop all their players and play with a high school team and still avoid relegation. The clashes between sheffield Wednesday and United cannot go on anymore and they will always be sepeated by a division,so that they should never have to play against each other in a league math again.
Well I guess THAT argument is settled.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #112
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Sad but true, the first thought in my mind was this thread when the results came in.

I'm not going to gloat, but am pleased to be vindicated
Old 05-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #113
pourbill
Do-er of Deeds

Incredible! This thread is as boring as the game. Only three months until REAL football starts.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #114
lookout123

you mean the kind where overpaid prima donas dance around after tackling someone, even if they are getting beat 28-0? yep, that'll be back in a few months.

and yes, i do like our american brand of football. just don't get the "big dic" (where's tw?) attitude about "real football".
Old 05-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #115
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourbill View Post
Incredible! This thread is as boring as the game. Only three months until REAL football starts.
Oops. Now I feel really guilty about holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read it...
Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #116
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
that's "real football" where they don't usually use their feet to move the ball? More a sort of handball/wrestling thing?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #117
King
Conquistador

Quote:
Thanks for that excellent contribution.

I haven't been able to post since before the Premiership ended, so thank to the admin for sorting that problem for me. Anyway here's a link to the final table:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...le/default.stm

Manchester United finished as champions (Yes!) which was a great achievement considering Chelsea's resources. Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal will play in the Champion's League, meaning that the 'Big Four' has stayed intact for another year. Spurs, Everton and Bolton will play in the UEFA Cup. Sheffield United, Charlton and Watford are relegated to the Championship, meaning that the two Sheffield sides will play each other next season. Of course, this is unless Sheffield United's legal action over the transfer of Tevez and Mascherano to West Ham succeeds, which Sheffield hope will keep them up. It's unlikely, but not impossible. It's been an excellent Premiership season to be honest, with the title race going down to the penultimate week of the season, and the final relegation place being decided on the final day.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:17 PM   #118
King
Conquistador

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
your boys are doing just great King. I hope they stick it to Chelsea every chance they get. I'd much rather see a Manchester United v Liverpool Champions League, though. Of course if I'm making wish list how about 1) Mourinho figuring out that anybody not wearing Blue feels he is a whiny little biotch, 2) Abromovich deciding he doesn't really like owning the side that much, and quit investing in it while the players have a mass exodus (mid-table here we come!), 3) Tottenham supporters make a move to becoming the classiest fans in England (ha ha ha), 4) Arsenal settle all the boardroom upheaval, 5) Henry, Van Persie, Fabergas, Rosicky, Adebayor, Hleb, Silva, Gallas stay healthy and combine beautiful football with finding the back of the net. Come on, Untouchables round two anyone? One can dream.

While I'm at it I'd like to see the FA get a better quality coach. Mainly one that understands picking the best player for each position doesn't guarantee success. Finding the right balance of egos and skills does. Gerrard and Lampard CANNOT play together, figure it out already.
I actually quite like Mourinho; he's entertaining, so I'd rather listen to him than somebody like Southgate or Coleman. I also like how he just doesn't care what people think of him and will just wind them up. I don't know why I like that, but I do. From a footballing standpoint, I'd love him to go, as it would weaken Chelsea greatly; the team spirit he has built amongst what is essentially a bunch of mercenaries is unbelievable. Chelsea wouldn't be the same without him. I would definetly like to see Abramovich go; so that anything Chelsea do would actually be an achievement rather than just buying trophies. Arsenal will improve eventually I think; they're going through a period of transition at the moment. They need to keep Wenger and Henry though, whatever happens. I think a lot will happen this summer concerning the big four, and a few other Premiership teams that have big money to spend. The 'silly season' is going to be sillier than ever apparently.