The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-26-2018, 09:57 PM   #1441
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Has it rained much in North Carolina? Yup, 22.5" above an average July.

So here is the story. My wife rides the ambulance and I close the house up and get my truck. I back out and get stuck in my own fucking yard. Luckily I have a lot of relatives who won't answer their fucking phones and neighbors with 4x4's who are at work. Fucking A!! I finally got my wife's aide who said she would come and get the oxygen tank and go get her, but the twerp never showed so I made other fucking arrangements. I found my daughter she was going to work overtime, but took care of business. I think I will leave her the half a mil when I kick the bucket.

Is this the proper thread for a fucking rant? It felt good anyway. What was we talking about?
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:01 PM   #1442
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I can never remember the fucking picture. Why is that? Must be some deep rooted psychological trauma happened while in the womb. I liked what I saw coming out and spent the rest of my life climbing back in one. Here is the picture.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #1443
Griff
still says videotape

Enough moisture!
Old 07-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #1444
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
And each gallon is 8 pounds so you just lifted 9,600 pounds of water!
Think about how heavy full of mass a cloud full of water is. My recollection from the radar was that this particular wet sponge of a cloud was about 25 miles from north to south, which is why it dumped on us for so long, and maybe 5 miles wide. It must have dropped an inch or 2 on us as it went past. And it was carrying that water all the way up from the Gulf and continuously dumping it for a day or two at that same rate as it slowly made its way up to my house. It's basically a small lake full of water in the sky.

Somebody must have done this math already somewhere. We're talking millions of kilograms, just floating along in the air.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #1445
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Along (sorta) the same lines...

I read this a good while back:

What if a rainstorm dropped all of its water in a single giant drop?

Their storm is 100km to a side. Their storm has a TPW (total precipitable water) content of 6cm. The water in their storm weighs 600,000,000 tons.

And then they hypothesize what would happen if it fell as one giant raindrop.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #1446
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I saw on the tube a while back where a giant front end loader was filled with water. A station wagon was parked underneath. The water fell and pieces of the car exploded into the air. Then they did the slowmo. Very interesting.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #1447
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
Has it rained much in North Carolina? Yup, 22.5" above an average July.

So here is the story. My wife rides the ambulance and I close the house up and get my truck. I back out and get stuck in my own fucking yard. Luckily I have a lot of relatives who won't answer their fucking phones and neighbors with 4x4's who are at work. Fucking A!! I finally got my wife's aide who said she would come and get the oxygen tank and go get her, but the twerp never showed so I made other fucking arrangements. I found my daughter she was going to work overtime, but took care of business. I think I will leave her the half a mil when I kick the bucket.

Is this the proper thread for a fucking rant? It felt good anyway. What was we talking about?
Is Shirley ok?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:34 AM   #1448
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The very dry and hot weather continues to give us glimpses into the past as the land dries out.

Blenheim Palace's lost garden revealed by heatwave

Name:  Blenheim Palace 1.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  46.3 KB

Quote:
The heatwave has exposed the remains of an 18th Century "military garden" at Blenheim Palace, aerial photographs have revealed.

The dry weather has uncovered parch marks in the shape of a garden that was dismantled by renowned landscape gardener Lancelot "Capability" Brown.

Head of gardens Hilary Wood said they provided "fascinating new information" about the lost formal gardens.

The palace in Woodstock is the birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill.

The garden was laid out in 1705 by royal gardener Henry Wise across 70 acres (28 hectares).

Its rectangular parterre - which can be seen in the parch marks - was the full width of the palace, and was surrounded by a high stone wall with bastions.

There was also a hexagonal group of trees, divided by a gravel walk.
Name:  Blenheim Palace 2.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  51.7 KB

Quote:
But when "Capability" Brown transformed the estate in the 1760s into its current layout - in the process adding a lake to the grounds - the garden was removed.

Ms Wood said: "During the heatwave of 1976 there simply wasn't the drone technology available to easily capture aerial images of the grounds and gardens.

"Today we can capture these incredibly detailed images and combine them with historical maps and drawings to provide us with fascinating new information which offers tantalising glimpses both into Blenheim's recent and ancient history."

Blenheim Palace was built to celebrate Britain's victory over the French in the War of the Spanish Succession and completed in 1733.

It is the residence of the Duke of Marlborough and was designated as a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1987.
Blenheim, of course, recently played host to the PM and POTUS.
I'm told that the lawn pictured was where Donald parked his chopper.
But I never listen to gossip.

Link
Old 07-29-2018, 06:41 AM   #1449
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Is Shirley ok?
No she won't never be well again. She is tied to an oxygen machine or a portable bottle when she goes out. The heat dosen't help her breathing. Funny thing it wasn't so hot until I had to take these pills. I understand where she coming from.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #1450
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

On July 31st, 2018 in Alberta, Canada, heading for Sturgis... by the way that's hail, not snow.
Attached Images

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 08-04-2018 at 08:23 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #1451
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Another reason not to live in Canada.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:01 AM   #1452
Griff
still says videotape

We're about to start packing for Canada. This is going to be complicated.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:23 AM   #1453
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hail comes and goes quickly.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #1454
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

As of a couple of minutes ago...

Name:  Temp.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  56.6 KB

I could probably tolerate the heat it's just the humidity that gets me.
I trimmed a substantial run of hedge yesterday morning starting at about 0900.
By the time I'd finished another shower and a change of clothes was required.
Staying indoors out of the midday sun doesn't help as the house is so well insulated for winter that the heat just builds up in the structure.

Er, that's it really.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #1455
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Get used to it, looks like your future. Can you say air conditioning boys and girls?