Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #10936
Griff
still says videotape

Brilliant!
Old 10-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #10937
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

In my usual dysfunctional way, when faced with the dilemma of not working full-time therefore being broke but having time to write two articles, or working full-time and having no time to write articles, opted to work part time and do fuck all towards article writing for the last 6 months.* I am now in more or less the same position I was in then - with just as much to do and just as little money coming in and just as long a time-scale on sorting things out.

So today, on one of my two work-free weekdays, I forced myself to get out of bed at 7:30 and having helped mum clean her car so she can take it into the garage without dying of shame, I made myself sit at my desk and read through the whole of one of the thesis chapters I'm trying to adapt, jotting down general thoughts, observations and notes.

It was only 90 minutes of work - but it's left me with a sense of the task for that article - and some ideas of how to approach it. I feel like I am reconnecting with the material in a meaningful way. This shouldn't be a difficult thing to do since this is stuff I am deeply interested in; yet somehow I fight shy of setting my mind to it.

What's making me feel quite happy is that I came this close *finger and thumb* to having a lie down, because I didn't sleep well last night and the thought of doing anything was making me feel sleepy - and I somehow managed to not do that - with some difficulty I might add - and instead made a coffee and some raisin toast and then sat at my desk with glasses on ready to read and make notes.

*Actually, no, I did spend some time aimlessly and fruitlessly tootling about the interwebz looking for additional stuff on NCOs and trying to write an introduction for the NCO article. I then panicked and went full-bore Lost and Person of Interest on its ass.

I've set the NCO stuff to one side and am focusing on the black market paper instead. It's less involved in terms of additional research and probably a lot more straightforward in terms of adaptation as well. I'm hoping the experience of adapting this will help clarify what I need to be doing with the NCO article too.

Last edited by DanaC; 10-07-2015 at 06:53 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #10938
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well played, Dr Dana, well played.
Perhaps a cure for video addiction will be found by science, but I feel humans are so clever and adaptable, that a substitute will be found quickly.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #10939
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Dana, Pls make a backup copy ... Now !
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #10940
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

At the weekend I painted the fence between us and next door.
Painting the wretched thing isn't what has made me happy.
Finishing painting the wretched thing is what has made me happy.
There's about 500 sq ft of close boarded fencing that needs the treatment and I take a fairly industrial approach to doing the job.
In other words, I use the widest brush I can get hold of and apply the treatment as quickly as possible.
As a consequence the paint/preservative splashes around a bit. Mostly in my direction. I therefore don a disposable coverall.
Not sure if this term survives the trans-Atlantic journey, but one piece garments tend to be known as 'boiler suits' here.
Unfortunately, the plasticised paper fabric doesn't breathe and 'boiling suit' becomes a more accurate name on even a cool day.
Like me, the 'boiling suit' is showing signs of age. Unlike me it is becoming increasingly frayed and torn so it has been consigned to the wheelie bin and I can forget the whole business for another year.
That's a water leak repaired, the drive re-surfaced and the fence painted all within a fortnight. I just hope that there is nothing around the corner to spoil that blessed state of affairs.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #10941
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Pics or it never happened
Old 10-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #10942
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
There's about 500 sq ft of close boarded fencing that needs the treatment and I take a fairly industrial approach to doing the job.
In other words, I use the widest brush I can get hold of and apply the treatment as quickly as possible.
Can't spray it? Or convince your friends it's so much fun they'd have to pay you to share the fun.
Quote:
Not sure if this term survives the trans-Atlantic journey, but one piece garments tend to be known as 'boiler suits' here.
Oh yes, those unwoven Tyvek, plastic lined suits are murder, I can almost feel the sweat trickling just thinking about them.
Quote:
I just hope that there is nothing around the corner to spoil that blessed state of affairs.
Right, but a worldly gentleman such as yourself, knows better.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:09 AM   #10943
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Actually, Dad did suggest using a sprayer just as I was about to start.

It has occurred to me from time to time that it might ease the pain, so to speak, but I wondered how easy it would be to achieve a uniform finish and clean the thing afterwards.

Given that the brushes are easily cleaned in water, that last consideration is probably a minor point and they are generally positively reviewed.

Will think about that option very seriously next time.

PS. Creosote was the universal preservative until a few years ago but, for reasons that escape me, it isn't sold anymore. Is it still available in the US?

ETA: Just found this:

Quote:
Coal Tar Creosote has been used for generations and continues to represent excellent value for money. The high preservative qualities ensure maximum protection for outside rough cut timbers such as fence panels, garden sheds, etc.

In July 2003, it became an offence for the general public to purchase and apply Coal Tar Creosote, however, the product is still available for sale to tradespeople. This means traditional user such as the agricultural community, builders, etc. are still able to purchase Coal Tar Creosote, providing they do not resell to the general householder. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that only genuine tradespeople are supplied.

Always read the label before use, use pesticides safely, contains Coal Tar.
http://www.creosotedirect.co.uk/
Old 10-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #10944
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If the brushes clean up with water, just run water through the sprayer, maybe with a drop of detergent. Badda-bing, badda-boom, all done.
Do you think Van Gogh or Banksy would be worried about uniformity, live your inner artist.

Da Wiki done say:
Quote:
The coal-tar variety, having stronger and more toxic properties, has chiefly been used as a preservative for wood, while the wood-tar variety has been used for meat preservation, ship treatment, and for medical purposes as an expectorant, antiseptic, astringent, anaesthetic, and laxative, though these have mostly been replaced by modern medicines (which can be patented and profitable). Coal-tar creosote was formerly used as an escharotic to burn malignant skin tissue and in dentistry to prevent necrosis before its carcinogenic properties became known.
I've have the same problem with Rustoleum Damp Proof Primer. It was quietly replaced with Rusty Metal Primer, which is the same red/brown color, but doesn't hold a candle to the effectiveness of the Damp Proof. A gallon of Rusty Metal costs $7 USD at walmart, but Damp Proof runs over $30 online. The problem is it's illegal to ship Damp Proof to any state where I know someone I could ask to receive it. I assume it must be carcinogenic, but they still make and sell it. I just can't buy it.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:30 PM   #10945
monster
I hear them call the tide

Beest is being amazing talking Thor through Math test-taking skills (he has a mandatory retake tomorrow, most points lost through not finishing on time....). I'm the mathematician of the family (Beest is the Engineer). But Beet has the patience and has also had to get through math tests relying on test-taking skills as much as knowledge
Old 10-14-2015, 02:25 AM   #10946
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That makes sense, it's harder for you to relate to those of us that struggle with math. Go Beest.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #10947
Griff
still says videotape

Bravo Beest!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #10948
glatt

Good on him. Beest, that is. Actually, both of them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #10949
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Great dads are awesome.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #10950
monster
I hear them call the tide

I found a little "Hebe" purse on ebay, paid $25 inc shipping on Sunday, (which is an awful lot for a little purse IMHO) It arrived already and is pretty much as new and just her colors and has a belt loop and everything and is as cute as all get out (and I don't use that word lightly...... or at all if I can avoid it). I think she'll love it

(B'day and Holidays coming up for daughter of that name)

(dunno if the link will work...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281817890471...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

anyhoo generally shitty and crazy day, cheered me right up.