The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #241
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

You don't really have to hold it for 90 days do you? I think it's 3 weeks to the moon for gold or silver.

If you had to hold for 90 days, and you bought gold. by the time you sold it, the market price could have dropped below what you paid for it.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #242
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yup, it's regulated that way. This is so the cops have a chance to come around and find the stolen stuff. This is also why pawn shops offer much less than you can get on eBay. We store it, keep track of it all that time, and we take the risk that it will be worth much less when we can actually move it.

It's worse on a pawn where we sit on stuff for 5 months. That's why a pawn shop is not the ideal place to sell your stuff... unless you want fast money. We HAVE to offer much less than eBay or Craigslist, or anyplace else really.

And if ya think gold is a risk... think 50" TVs, or tablets like the Nook or Kindle. The price on all that is dropping fast.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #243
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Victory is mine

I helped an old man out looking at rings. He picked one out, asked for it to be cleaned and put in a box, then announced he'd be back with his debit card.

The guys relentlessly agreed that he was never coming back.

Five minutes later - in walks the dude! And the guys had to admit that victory was mine.

(It was OK because not an hour earlier, I spent 10 minutes with a guy helping him look at Nintendo handheld games systems, picking out games for his son, only to find at the end of all that that he wouldn't buy it unless we provided a warranty. Well there's precious time wasted... unless it isn't)
Good foy you!

Reminds me of a time back in the day when I had a gig at Sears selling electronics on straight commission. I was the newbie sales associate and the long time employees always got to do the really good sales while they threw me a few crumbs.

One evening it was pretty slow and we were all standing around shooting the breeze and watching the clock for quitting time. A couple of hispanic guys, still dressed in their grubby work clothes, wandered in and started looking at TV's, talking to one another in Spanish. My coworker rolled her eyes, and said to me "YOU go watch them and make sure they don't try to steal something."

So I went up to them and trotted out my 10 words of Spanish. They answered in kind and I finally figured out that not only had they just gotten paid, they wanted to buy stuff to take home to their families across the border - $4,000.00 worth which was a lot of money at the time - with an added sweet commission because I even got them to buy product protection plans. Don't think Sears has a Mexico branch, but it was cool by them and REALLY cool by me.

I laughed all the way to my paycheck.

Last edited by SamIam; 12-03-2012 at 05:17 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #244
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Yup, it's regulated that way. This is so the cops have a chance to come around and find the stolen stuff. This is also why pawn shops offer much less than you can get on eBay. We store it, keep track of it all that time, and we take the risk that it will be worth much less when we can actually move it.

It's worse on a pawn where we sit on stuff for 5 months. That's why a pawn shop is not the ideal place to sell your stuff... unless you want fast money. We HAVE to offer much less than eBay or Craigslist, or anyplace else really.

And if ya think gold is a risk... think 50" TVs, or tablets like the Nook or Kindle. The price on all that is dropping fast.
Huh. Must fall under his pawn license rules I guess. My buddy that buys gold only has a 5 day hold in pa. 3 weeks in nj... Then it goes to the smelter.

He has to fingerprint and photograph his sellers now, though.

Hes still fighting the cops over $3500 in confiscated gold that he didn't have documentation for.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #245
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

He was able to contact the lady who sold it and get the paperwork, but a day late.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #246
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Ah hell, you know, sometimes the items are amazing. A guy just came in with about 8 old 10" 78 RPM records in GREAT condition. Among them was a set of 4 albums from Sidor Belarsky, Yiddish folk singer. They looked awesome. But the shop doesn't generally deal in such things, unless it can prove a value - and I just couldn't find a value on them.

He only wanted $10. I was just about to do the deal for myself, but I can't even afford to transport them around this week.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #247
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The most exquisite racism exists in the ghetto. This morning a woman comes in and right in the middle of her transaction, she asks where the horns are. Well we have a few saxes over along that wall, and -- oh. She means the horns on top of Alan's head since he is a Jew.

~

This afternoon a bunch of young punks comes in wanting to sell things. We can't deal with anyone under 18 so we tell them they are out of luck. They leave us with a hearty "fuck you". We hate the young punks but it is not possible to just throw them out whenever they appear.

~

In today's game of "Retarded or High", a gentleman comes in with four keys and wants one copy of each. He speaks VERY slowly and deliberately, as all RorH contestants do. Of course I am very careful when making keys, and I make his copies and lay them out in front of him. "The gold ones, on top, are the copies." He takes forever to sort out which are which because he doesn't want to mix them up. Five minutes later he's back. "I only have 3 key copies, I asked for 4." At this point I make an executive decision just to remake his fourth key again, and not charge him, because he won't understand anyway, and probably doesn't have another $2 for another key. I am labeling this gentleman Retarded.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #248
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

The retarded ones always need a lot of keys.

they have a lot of girlfriends.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #249
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Well now I know where to get my keys copied.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #250
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Ode to Undertoad

Down at the Pawn Shop (to the tune of Under the Boardwalk)

Oh when the people come in and try to pawn something used
And their tempers get so hot, you wish you were weren't so abused
Down at the pawn shop, you must come and see, hey
Behind the counter with my laptop, I'll be listin' on eBay

(Down at the pawn shop) Prices second to none
(Down at the pawn shop) We'll be havin' some fun
(Down at the pawn shop) People making appeals
(Down at the pawn shop) We'll be making deals
Down at the pawn shop, pawn shop

From the front door you hear the happy sound of a ringing bell
Mmm hmm, anyone can come in and buy the good things we sell
Down at the pawn shop, you must come and see, hey
Behind the counter with my laptop, I'll be listin' on eBay

(Down at the pawn shop) Prices second to none
(Down at the pawn shop) We'll be havin' some fun
(Down at the pawn shop) People making appeals
(Down at the pawn shop) We'll be making deals

Down at the pawn shop, pawn shop
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #251
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Biddin' on a clock on e-bayyyy
watchin' tiiime roll away..
Old 12-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #252
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There are a couple things that it's hard to learn, and one of those things is the values of things we bring in to pawn or buy.

After many years, Alan knows what he pays on every single thing. Student clarinet? We buy em at $50. Garmin Nuvi? $15. A Milwaukee right angle grinder? $75. 32-inch TV? Pawn at $50, buy at $80, don't take without remote control. Gift card? Buy at 50%, except JC Penney 30%.

To even know what each thing is, and where its values are headed and why, is really kind of remarkable. To catch up in a month's time is impossible, and that's why I goofed this week when I offered a guy $75 for his student clarinet.

The clarinet itself may go on eBay for $150, or may sell in the shop for $140, so it's not a terrible error. But we will probably lose profit and take a risk due to my error.

Alan also knows what he'll be looking at before the people get to the window. He just looks at them, and looks at how they've packaged their item to carry it to the store, and he'll know that what they're about to offer is worthless. This is a type of ghetto savvy that I haven't picked up on yet.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #253
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My job at this time is to not pay attention to the various stories and dramas that people offer. As often as not they're acting, they're writing, they're inventing all kinds of crap to tell us in order to sway us into giving them more money.

Some of it is true. But not the girl who called in with the pretend meek voice, saying she needed money for her cancer medication. Not the guy who just needed enough money to get gas to get to his new job and then turned around and bought a DVD. And not the white chick who needed to get $50 for her rent and could only get $30 for her shitty tools... and proceeded cry in front of us. Although I noticed... no actual tears.

After the weepy chick, Alan asked me whether I was affected by that one. No, I didn't really care, and I figured she was acting anyway. And I prefer weepy to insane.

The people I believe are the ones who offer their story after the deal is done. "Yeah I'm gettin' a Septa pass to get to my job." or "Cool, I just need $10 more on my water bill." But if you tell me your story before the offer comes down, I don't need to hear that, and it doesn't affect the numbers any direction anyway.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #254
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well, I just had my first snatch-n-grab theft: a guy stole a PS Vita I was showing him, by just running out the door with it while I was demoing it to him.

I was too far from the door locking switch when I realized what happened. It was my fault, although figuring out what to watch and when and why is a learned skill that I don't have. Well now I do. You demo only from the window next to the switch.

We have video of it but I don't know whether this event will be taken to the cops. It pretty much ruined Alan's day and mine, although part of the reason it happened is because Sammy called in with his kid being sick so we were short-staffed.

Alan is pretty pissed about the whole thing, the loss of about $200 was about what the store brought in today, and I feel like crap because he feels like crap.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #255
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Crap