The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #40
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

I think saying people who hold the views discussed above are sociopathic is to go too far. I think it's misguided and based on high-minded notions with no relevance to reality, but then so are most political beliefs.
There is one main problem with the attitude that if people want to be rich, then they should work hard, and if they are poor, then clearly they just didn't try hard enough.
Pretty much anyone can do it, if they try really hard. Margaret Thatcher came from a humble background. However, saying that anyone can do it isn't the same as saying that everyone can do it. Because that is obviously not the case. Some people will always be poor. Not everyone gets to come first in a race as long as they run as fast as they can.
This is what I think a lot of privileged people fail to grasp. Who exactly do they think will come round to clean their house if everybody lifts themselves up from the bottom? It's simply impossible.
Therefore, there will always need to be something provided for the poorest people, so they are not living in poverty.