Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #12631
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Nice !
I will start pulling supers this weekend. Looks to be a good year.
Happy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
It became apparent late last year that my 1992 VW Passat Estate (originally Dad’s) would have to be retired, so just before Christmas I placed an order for a new car.
There was something of a waiting list and it was due to be built a week or two into March this year.

The tax and MoT on the existing wagon expired at the end of February so I declared it off road with DVLA and scrapped it a few days into March for which I was paid the princely sum of £155.
I only expected two or three weeks without a car which wasn’t any great problem.
Then the great lockdown started and my car was stuck in Germany for the duration.

Thankfully, I didn’t have to get Dad to a hospital or GP appointment but shopping was a pain in the fundament.
The local supermarket is pretty small but they use every inch of space efficiently and have been remarkable during the lockdown, but it has to be said that they don’t have everything and trips into town by train had to be endured. There’s a substantial walk at either end of the train journey which isn’t too bad if you’re not carrying shopping.

Anyway, fast forward to this week. After four months without a car I finally collected my new vehicle on Tuesday.
After what seemed an age they sorted out the paperwork, registered it with DVLA and handed me the keys.
Because of all the Covid 19 precautions I couldn’t be accompanied on a familiarisation drive so had to make my own arrangements.
Having started the thing (keyless ignition) and moved off, the first thing I did was check the brakes.

There’s no point it persuading it to move if you can’t persuade it to stop.
Having driven it a few yards to the main road I was faced with the choice of routing via the town centre or taking the longer route around the ring road.
I chose the longer route as I had no intention of making a right turn in a (very) unfamiliar vehicle.

Anyway, I got it home without any problems and drove it on a shopping trip yesterday but I think it will be a while before I am used to it.
There are bells and whistles on it of which, as yet, I do not understand the purpose, and some that I understand but am unlikely to use, but I think I’ve mastered the basics.
One particular feature that I find useful is the digital display which indicates the gear in use and gives you a ‘nudge’ when it is time to change up.

I shall now retire with the 400 page manual (I’m not joking) and reflect on a very long four months!

PS I've just realised that I composed the above without using the word 'happy'.
I am! That is all you need to know!
Happy!

You'd have thought they could have sent you the manual to read during lockdown!
Old 07-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #12632
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Heh...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #12633
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I'm happy you're happy w/your new car. New car, WOOT!!!

And kudos for keeping the manual transmission alive!
As my Yorkshire ancestors might have said 'it were cheaper'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Happy!

Happy!

You'd have thought they could have sent you the manual to read during lockdown!
That's a good point!

OTOH, I might have been tempted to cancel once the complexity of both car and manual became apparent.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #12634
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
It became apparent late last year that my 1992 VW Passat Estate (originally Dad’s) would have to be retired, so just before Christmas I placed an order for a new car.
There was something of a waiting list and it was due to be built a week or two into March this year.

The tax and MoT on the existing wagon expired at the end of February so I declared it off road with DVLA and scrapped it a few days into March for which I was paid the princely sum of £155.
I only expected two or three weeks without a car which wasn’t any great problem.
Then the great lockdown started and my car was stuck in Germany for the duration.

Thankfully, I didn’t have to get Dad to a hospital or GP appointment but shopping was a pain in the fundament.
The local supermarket is pretty small but they use every inch of space efficiently and have been remarkable during the lockdown, but it has to be said that they don’t have everything and trips into town by train had to be endured. There’s a substantial walk at either end of the train journey which isn’t too bad if you’re not carrying shopping.

Anyway, fast forward to this week. After four months without a car I finally collected my new vehicle on Tuesday.
After what seemed an age they sorted out the paperwork, registered it with DVLA and handed me the keys.
Because of all the Covid 19 precautions I couldn’t be accompanied on a familiarisation drive so had to make my own arrangements.
Having started the thing (keyless ignition) and moved off, the first thing I did was check the brakes.

There’s no point it persuading it to move if you can’t persuade it to stop.
Having driven it a few yards to the main road I was faced with the choice of routing via the town centre or taking the longer route around the ring road.
I chose the longer route as I had no intention of making a right turn in a (very) unfamiliar vehicle.

Anyway, I got it home without any problems and drove it on a shopping trip yesterday but I think it will be a while before I am used to it.
There are bells and whistles on it of which, as yet, I do not understand the purpose, and some that I understand but am unlikely to use, but I think I’ve mastered the basics.
One particular feature that I find useful is the digital display which indicates the gear in use and gives you a ‘nudge’ when it is time to change up.

I shall now retire with the 400 page manual (I’m not joking) and reflect on a very long four months!

PS I've just realised that I composed the above without using the word 'happy'.
I am! That is all you need to know!

I got a brand new car late last year. We can swap familiarisation stories if you like!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2020, 05:52 PM   #12635
Griff
still says videotape

oof. Touch screen interface... hate. I had an Alpine system with a cassette deck in my CJ-7, that was peak technology.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #12636
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The more you drive the comfortable you'll feel.
Well teutonic level comfort anyway.
Now the problem is shooing the local babes away.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #12637
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Now the problem is shooing the local babes away.
If only!
Old 07-04-2020, 12:20 AM   #12638
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't let Dad catch you sparkin' in the parlor after he goes to bed.

I'm happy for friends in Ohio because July 1st the state ceased to require a front licence plate. They had been registering their cars in PA for years which was a pain in the ass.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #12639
Griff
still says videotape

Happy. Yes.

Got up at 5:30 and drove to the West Branch of the Delaware. Apparently the water at reservoir release was 46.5F today. We paddled from Stilesville, NY to Shehawken, PA.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2020, 05:14 PM   #12640
Griff
still says videotape

Attached Images

Old 07-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #12641
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Living.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:30 PM   #12642
monster
I hear them call the tide

I finally shelved all my dictionaries. I had to move travel books to another case, and have a double row in places but.....

oh and the fireworks were THE BEST (although no wind meant shrapnel showers..... I have dandruff like Braille and you could probably build an entire new firework from what was in my bra....
Old 07-04-2020, 11:16 PM   #12643
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They have fireworks at a school and a fire company that I can hear from inside my house. I didn't hear anything tonight. Might of been called off or I'm getting deafer.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #12644
monster
I hear them call the tide

All public fireworks are cancelled here. These were not Just professional quality and then some
Old 07-05-2020, 12:45 AM   #12645
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hmm, do you have a Geiger counter?