The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-26-2006, 10:33 AM   #16
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
Oh, and I agree with flint about the christian rock backs. I mean, please people. You aren't fooling anyone but the ignorant.
I agree, and it's only slightly worse than those pre-pubescent white supremacist "singers."
Old 08-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #17
lookout123
changed his status to single

I know this is not going to be a popular view, but... this argument makes no more sense than the idiot youth pastors and paranoid parents that say "rock music is from the devil! it's stealing our childrens' souls..."

music is just music. do a few words either for or against God make a 6 strings and a drum beat satanic or christian. people write lyrics about things that are either A) important in their lives, B) sure to be popular and make them $$$, C) just as filler to make their instrumental passion more accessible to the masses.

anyway, the bands you've listed suck. but they'd suck whether they were christians or not - their music sucks. just like MOST musical acts. there are relatively few genuinely good musical acts out there in my opinion. but if a certain demographic is willing to line up and hand their money over to a mediocre act then i say good for the artist, whether that is Superchick or jessica simpson.

i don't have any allegiance to christian vs non-christian artists - i go for music that i enjoy. BUT here are a few bands made up of christians that have found their way into my rotation over the years. while you may not like them they are all respected within their respective genres. remember if it is about the music - then what they are talking about should be irrelevant, right?

The Crucified (late 80's early 90's. old school thrash stuff)
The Blamed (90's punk)
Stavesacre (post-hardcore)
Six Feet Deep (hardcore)
Focused (hardcore)
Anberlin (indie/emo)

anyway, just thought i'd throw a viewpoint out that hadn't received any attention in this thread.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:31 PM   #18
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I don't like Pat Boone

It's ALL pop music. Created to make money like everything else is on the radio. It all sounds the same although I listended to a couple of alternative groups for about two weeks once. To me the original hymns are the only good christain music. Contemporary christian music is the same as all the other trendy pop. The music industry needs more creative expression and less record labels l miss the 60s and 70.s Even the 80s is looking good.

Anyway, there are so many positions on it. That was my position. It sucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemp...hristian_music

Last edited by skysidhe; 08-26-2006 at 01:40 PM. Reason: too quick on the draw I guess
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:46 PM   #19
rkzenrage

My kinda' Rock n' Roll...
Old 08-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder how many "Christian Performers" didn't know they were, until their "Label" told them they were?
Old 08-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #21
lookout123

i'm sure there are some bruce, but i've spent 17 years of my life involved in the punk/hardcore scene to varying degrees. i can tell you that in my experience most of the bands just want to make music and hopefully make enough money to break even. they write songs about things that are happening in their lives or they feel are relevant - just like most musicians. the bands that are after the money are rarely ever accepted in the scene that theoretically spawned them.

as big and established (and overhyped and cheesy IMO) as Tooth and Nail records is now, i remember when brandon put out his first album. the only goal was to get some decent production values into underground christian music. it was great. for the first 8 years or so it was just a lot of fun with most of the bands knowing each other and that type of thing. Now he makes a bunch of money and has a lot of corny bands on the roster, but other labels have spawned that still keep the legitimate underground scene alive.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:56 PM   #22
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I wonder how many "Christian Performers" didn't know they were, until their "Label" told them they were?
Evanescence, for one. They have apparently just told their label that they were not, in fact, a Christian band now that they've become somewhat established.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #23
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

Wasn't that how Creed, along with many others I'm sure, got their start?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 AM   #24
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
The converse of that is also a possibility. There's a little band out of Ireland you might have heard of called U2. They started out as a "Christian band."
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:33 AM   #25
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

I agree with the observation that there is really little difference between "Christian" and "non-" music save the object of the affection.

I DO have to say that I, on occasion, listen to the local Christian station [plug warning], M88. My wife listens much than I do. I like some of the music. In general, it because it's more positive and/or happy than most of what's on the radio otherwise. At least the stuff of which I can actually understand the lyrics. I chose my music likes/dislikes much the same way I chose what I watch on TV or in the movies -- I chose stuff that kinda removes me from reality. I hate dramas, cuz life IS a drama and I wanna escape once in awhile.

I find it hilarious, however, how many of the "Christian" artists sound almost identical to "contempory" artists. Sometimes they're indistinguishable, and I forget which station I'm listening to until the top of the hour station ID.
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:00 AM   #26
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret88
At least the stuff of which I can actually understand the lyrics.
Like this damn song that they keep playing on a "hits" CD at work, that goes "I've been wrong, I've been down, to the bottom of every bottle. These five words in my head: <insert unintelligible gibberish> ..." What the hell are "these five words" if they are so damn important to you ??? I hate these harsh, throaty, shouting-style lyrics.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:36 PM   #27
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Fint, the five words are, "Are we having fun yet?"
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:49 PM   #28
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I thought they were "Flint can't understand my vocals"
Old 08-31-2006, 07:40 PM   #29
lookout123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Evanescence, for one. They have apparently just told their label that they were not, in fact, a Christian band now that they've become somewhat established.
i've known the drummer for that band for years. * he, in fact, is a christian. this band is not a christian band and never said otherwise. in most of their interviews early on they made a point of correcting the misconception, but eventually just gave up.

*not intended as an endorsement of his current cock rock project. he receives endless loads of shit for being involved with it.

Last edited by lookout123; 08-31-2006 at 07:48 PM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:03 PM   #30
Ibby
erika

There's a difference (at least in my mind) between CHRISTIAN ROCK and ROCK MADE BY CHRISTIANS. Caps used cause im too lazy to hit ctrl-i.

Christian rock is either wildly commercial crap put out to try to lure the massive christian market into buying the records, completely normal bands who say "WER A KRISCHIN BAND BY AR RECRDS LOL!!!11!1" cause they want to lure the massive christian market into buying the records, or lame, boring bands who sing about brushing your teeth for two minutes each time and not looking at the opposite sex for more than a couple seconds at a time.