The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2002, 11:14 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

5/6/2002: Miss Jumbo Queen contestant

Welcome to Thailand, and most specifically to an elephant grounds where they hold a contest to find "Miss Jumbo Queen". Here, contestant Lalita Songrat has won not the major award (I couldn't find the actual MJQ winner), but has in fact won the "heaviest" category, weighing in at 421 pounds.

So who will be Miss Jumbo Queen if not the jumbo-est queen? The contest is held "to select the contestant who best exhibits the characteristics of an elephant, by virtue of her grace, elegance and size". The job of the winner? "To lead the jumbo banquet and help promote elephant conservation causes in Thailand."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 02:43 PM   #2
RQuinn
Reclusive Ghoul Programmer

Ah, ain't civilization great?
RQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 06:02 PM   #3
Bitman
cellar smellar

Promoting heffalumps? Hmm, I'd like to see who won the contest for 'longest nose.'
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 11:22 PM   #4
Nic Name
retired

Jennifer Portnick leads an aerobics class at Miraloma Community Church in San Francisco in a Feb. 19 file photo. Jazzercise Inc. says it will no longer require instructors to look trim and fit, settling Ms. Portnick's complaint that she was refused a job because she weighed 240 pounds. The change in company policy, based on a settlement with her and mediated by the city's Human Rights Commission, was announced this week.

Patrick Tehan/AP

Welcome to the USA. Exercise your legal right to be fat. You go girl.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 12:04 AM   #5
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

hahaha. the look on her face is priceless. man. ah.

she looks like she's about to punch someone.

good for her. i read about that in the paper tonight after i got home from work.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:16 AM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

she'll buttfuck you in the mouth
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:37 AM   #7
SPUCK
Professor

Looks like she's giving the thumbs down..
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but my first thought regarding Nic Name's post is that I don't think I would want her as my regular instructor. I watch an instructor for how to properly do moves etc, as well as admire her body as inspiration for me to work hard. I do not think I would enjoy watching her work out, nor would her physical appearance inspire me. Maybe her personality makes up for this. I have not taken a class lead by this woman nor do I know how physically fit she is. If I did, I would possibly have a different opinion.

She has just as much right to work in whatever job she pleases as anyone. She would likely be great inspiration for those who are technically overweight and find superfit women to be annoying. If she can do her job properly, and her classes are full, she deserves her position.

For the record, too thin people working out are in fact painful to watch as well. I regularly see a severly underweight woman running on my route. I'm always waiting for her legs to snap in half at the knee. Blech.

:::closing eyes and hitting POST:::
Old 06-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #9
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

No flame here.

I don't know. It seems odd, but I know some women are intimidated by the perfect instructors. Maybe it puts some women more at ease. It's not what you'd expect, though.

What I wonder is if she's been doing this for quite some time. If she has, why isn't she smaller? Could be genetic I guess, and without the workouts she would qualify for Jumbo Queen. If she hasn't, maybe losing weight along with her clients is a bonding thing for them.

btw, anyone else get a kick out of the phrase "Portnick's complaint..."?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I don't know. It seems odd, but I know some women are intimidated by the perfect instructors. Maybe it puts some women more at ease.
Maybe so... but there has to be some middle ground between "perfect" and 240 lb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
What I wonder is if she's been doing this for quite some time. If she has, why isn't she smaller? Could be genetic I guess, and without the workouts she would qualify for Jumbo Queen.
Yeah I've wondred about that too. You'd think somebody who spends a lot of time swimming would be in good shape. And indeed, when the Dallas kids were taking lots of swimming lessons a few years back, all the instructors (maybe 3/4 of whom also doubled as life guards) had roughly the build you'd expect.

Except one. She was portly, no getting around it. It did seem odd. But she was a good swimmer, and a good swimming teacher, with a good rapport with the students (including grownups--I signed up for an adult swimming class one summer and she turned out to be the instructor).
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

I'd take one of her classes, apart from the fact that I'd rather trap my nipples in the seatbelt buckle than do any aerobics class.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:22 AM   #12
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

And as always, should the new Miss Jumbo be unable to perform her tasks as queen, the 1st waddle-up will take her place.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #13
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I'd be fascinatedly interested to see Ms. Portnick lead a class. I mean, doesn't she get winded or anything? If not...she's a frigging marvel.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I just love plus size gurlz.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

One of my favorite dance teachers is overweight (no idea what she weights, but maybe a size 18 or 20 and not tall). She teaches several classes a day and is the director of a dance company, and has been dancing since the 1970s. It's definitely just genetic for some people.

I think that studios should hire whoever can do the job, regardless of whether they look like people's idea of an aerobics instructor. After all, when I think "aerobics instructor" I think of a twenty-something, skinny white girl, but they certainly wouldn't refuse to hire someone of a different race, age or gender.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote