The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #31
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I took typing for a year in highschool. I'll always be glad I did because now I can type a post on a MB while watching what my kids are doing.

ps. I even did the smilie without looking.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:38 AM   #32
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Almost anything starting with a "t" seems to turn out in every possible combination of to, too, two, the, their, there, etc. If it starts with a "t" and only has a few letters in the word, my mind seems to disconnect and my fingers select any of the above without context. Also, when typing in Spanish I tend to change any "a" word ending to an "e". If I don't catch it, it sometimes just produces the present subjunctive form of the verb but usually it just produces nonsense. I don't know why my fingers want to change that "a" to an "e" except that some cognates change the english ending of "e" to an "a" in Spanish so my brain must be trying to reverse engineer it. The most annoying mistype I do is, beginning about 6 years ago, the capital letters at the beginning of words stopped showing up. It was like my little fingers stopped having enough pressure on the shift key to produce the capital although i was typing it correctly. There, it just did it again, the I did not capitalize. Oh well, it is rather egotistical of English to capitalize that letter anyway
Old 11-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #33
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
I took typing for a year in highschool.
Me too, but a little ways into the school year, due to administrative fuck-up, my schedule changed and I got switched to a different instructor. The new instructor was teaching the class nothing like the other one, and I was totally lost, not anywhere near at the same skill level as her students. I guess my old instructor had sucked or something, I don't know. I told my counselors that I really wanted to do well in this class, but this wasn't working for me. They said there was nothing they could do about it, they couldn't work with me to change my schedule, nothing. Just do your best.

Okay, well... I didn't want to fail the class, and she was giving timed exams (which I had never had before) so I started looking at my hands. I never learned to type correctly. Luckily for me I have the reflexes and muscle-memory of a drummer, so I do okay. But I'm still pissed about that.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #34
ashke
Don't look at me!

We had Mavis Beacon back in elementary school. We started learning in 2nd grade, I think. But when I moved to Singapore, I found they didn't teach typing at all. Blessed be for my old school...
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #35
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

You don't want to see my post without the backspace. I mess up on at least half of what I type. And wheyn I try to not use the backspace, I have to acturally stop typing to make myself not hit it. There that isn't so bad, but I am gtyping only havelf as fast as I mornally do. Gosh
Oh, and I gtook typing in giigh scool too
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #36
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

W4TZ PRBLM? 7Y9NG I5 D3D 3ZY!