The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

wolf Goes to Rehab (WAS: Tales from the New Nuthouse)

Not much in the way of stories to tell, as yet ...

Today was orientation day.

AKA I sat in a conference room with a bunch of other new hires and about a dozen people from different disciplines came in and explained all of the important policies and procedures that there are compliance issues attached to.

They served muffins and coffee and OJ, and we got lunch.

I didn't know about lunch, so I had packed my nice, new, HelloKitty bento. Which, incidentaly, I ordered from a company in Japan BEFORE I knew that I had a job for which I would need a nice, new HelloKitty bento. I left it in the car, in an insulated bag, with a really big blue ice thingy. The ice was still mostly frozen when I got home, so I considered it safe to eat for dinner. I had some carrot sticks, hummus, cottage cheese and jam (I can't abide plain cottage cheese, and it's cheaper to put my own spoonful of jam in rather than buy the ones that come prepacked with a spoonful of jam next to a scoop of cottage cheese), and two of my chicken onigiri.

I will take the same thing tomorrow, since I don't think they'll feed me again. There is a cafeteria on the property, and employees can buy really cheap meal tickets to eat in it. I don't know if my breaks will match-up with meal times or not.

So anyway, in addition to hours upon hours of learning (again) how to use a fire extinguisher, and learning about the computer policies, and confidentiality policies, and documentation policies, and reporting policies, and cell phone policies, we did take a walk around the campus and had various buildings that I don't remember the name of pointed out.

There were folks from many different departments in the training, mainly nursing, but my department had a couple people as well. One of their names is one letter different from mine, which could get interesting.

At the end of the day we walked over to our new office. The others hadn't been in the department before ... they had had their interviews in the HR offices, and weren't given a second interview with tour like I had.

I start my department-specific training tomorrow. I'll likely be working days for a while before I get put on my regular shift. Depends on how much there is to learn and how long before the boss thinks I'm okay to fly solo.

Overall, I like it. A lot of the staff were very welcoming toward our little gaggle of goslings.

Oh, and it was really cute. When I got in this morning, I signed the visitor book, and the receptionist said, "You're here for orientation, you cross your name off of that!"

She also high-fived me.

We had chatted a bit while I was nervously waiting the two times I went in for the interviews.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

excellent.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

HIGH FIVE!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Thank you!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Sawweeeeet! Good for you, Wolf! And thanks for starting up this thread. I can't wait to hear about the new nuthouse.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
monster

:: selfishly hoping it's at least as nutty as the last -and yes, I'm talking cow orkers... ::
Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Thumbs up

Looking forward to the stories ...
Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Good on ya! I too am selfishly hoping to hear some good nutty
crunchy crazy stories!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Great sitcom: The New Nuthouse.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Nirvana
Back in 10

YAY!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh, Wolf.
Jam. Cottage Cheese. No.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
monster

She's American. They do really weird stuff with cc here. No banana or peanuts, though -yet.....
Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Sounds like a great start!
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Training continues, and my schedule is getting switched around day to day ... nothing big, just switching an evening for a day because there are three trainees in the department right now, and the boss doesn't want to overwhelm the evening staff.

Even though I'm trying to pay strict attention, I'm still all like, "okay, when do I make copies of stuff, and when don't I? And where do I put them?"

I'll get it, though.

Today I was chit-chatting a little with the receptionist, and she waved and said Hi to a psychiatrist who was behind me. I recognized the name, turned around and ... you know that scene in the movie where the people who have been separated for a long time see each other and everything goes into slow motion, and they come together and hug? Well, it was like that, but without the romantic overtones. I'd worked with this guy, and we get along really well.

How cool is that.

I later ran into a nurse I know who was giving folks from my orientation class a tour and going into procedures. He said a lot of nice things about me. To my boss, no less.

Woot.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

small world. should make things smooth though!