The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-02-2014, 03:23 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

My niece - the dancer

I wish, wish, wish there were some photos I could post, or a video clip.

Went to see the annual dance show at Halifax's beautiful old theatre on Saturday. I missed last year, which was Soph's first time out on the stage, but everybody had been mightily impressed with her performance. She'd only been dancing for about 5 months at the time but had been spotted by someone from the WACA (local academy for performing arts) when she took up a class her friend had recommended. They put her into three of the numbers at the show, she did really well, and this year they pushed her more to the fore - she was in six numbers, including the opening and closing acts, with the highest ability senior group. And in three of them she took a leading role in the group.

She started dance classes about a year and a half ago - prior to that she was a cheerleader - so that gave a really good base to work from in terms of physicality, strength, control and balance, as well working with a group in choreographed movement. About three weeks after she started the dance classes, whilst she was still cheerleading, she had a bad fall at cheerleading practice when the girls who were supposed to be catching her dropped her - shattering her wrist very badly. She decided to give up cheerleading and concentrate on dance instead.

This year i was determined not to miss the show!

So glad I went. It was a great night out - regardless of seeing Soph do her thang. They showcase the whole academy, from beginners to almost-ready career dancers; they even include a little number for the pensioner's dance for beginner's class. Some of the students have various special needs - last year there was a group with several students with downs syndrome, and there's a young lad with severe autism who's been in the show for three years running (apparently). So, it has a really inclusive, community feel to the night.

All of the groups did really well - the stage, lighting, costumes etc were all professional quality and they made even the lower grade dancers look great. It was held together though by the senior high level dancers - who to my mind could compete against any professional dance company out there.

The show started with the opening track from War of the Worlds. A group of around 15 of the best dancers (including Soph ;p) did a fantastic modern dance sequence. Once I'd noticed Sophie, I couldn't take my eyes off her, and not just 'cause she's my niece. Beautiful, elegant, poised and fluid, it was like she born for the stage. My throat tightened, and tears welled up.

She was in another five numbers - all different, including one from Copa Cabana in a showgirl outfit. Bloody hell - is that our little Soph up there? Looking like she just stepped out of the silver screen - all long limbed elegance and grace?

The one that really got to me though, was the main senior's number, which was so beautifully choreographed and performed by a group of around 10 young men and women - low key, single shade flowing costumes, and a simple stage - it was sensual and tragic and powerful. Sophie looked ethereal - how can someone so willowy have such physical strength?

They were beautiful and moving to watch - but the fact that Sophie was one of them just blew me away.

This was the song:

I choked up just now listening to it :p
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ah Dana that sounds so wonderful.
It's great that both of your nieces are so talented, so that neither is left behind.

You are part of a totes amazeballs family.
Would your Dad have gone to see her do you think?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:49 AM   #3
DanaC

Oh goodness yes. He'd have loved it. Not so much in his last couple of years, because his health wouldn't have allowed it, but before the COPD took its toll, he'd have been totally there.

He adored the girls.

There were lots of grandparents in the audience. Between sets the compere (who I think is the head of the academy and was hilarious) pointed out that one of the girls had her mum, her maternal grandma and her maternal great grandma in the audience.

Wasn't just family there though - this was a proper production and people come from all over to see it - often get talent spotters in the audience. £13 a ticket!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
glatt

Sound impressive. As these kids get older, it actually a pleasure to go see them perform. They are good. How old is your niece?

When they were in grade school I would literally wear earplugs to the kids' concerts because they were so painful to sit through. Screeching high pitched recorders are the worst. But now I look forward to them. It a nice evening out listening to quality music. Your niece's performance sounds very high quality.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
DanaC

Soph's 16 now - left school this time around (bout two weeks ago) and is starting at college for her a-levels in September.

Oh Gods, yes those early school shows lol. sitting there on uncomfortable chairs, in a pokey school hall, watching small children slaughter christmas songs, Ha!