The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #2716
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

why would she buy the cow when she gets all the milk she wants for free already???
Old 06-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #2717
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ok, their idea of 'mass shooting' and ours may be a little different, but, I wholeheartedly endorse what this news outlet has done. And I've been saying it for years.

From PolicyMic (video editorial at the link, on why they chose to cover the story in this way, if you can get by the anchor's over-the-top delivery)

A Canadian Network Is Covering a Mass Shooting in a Way American Outlets Won't

Quote:
After a shooter murdered three Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers and left two others in critical condition in New Brunswick, the Canadian network refused to show his name or picture. The network ran an editorial Friday to give the reasoning behind the decision.

"It's easy to report on the life of the killer, to scour his deranged Facebook page, to speculate about motive, but doing so could actually encourage the perception that his heinous acts are somehow justified," the editorial reads. "We will not help give this killer his blaze of glory."

Interestingly enough, Sun News is known as a conservative network, called "Fox News North" by its detractors (though the network has pushed back against that comparison).

The reasoning: Studies have shown that intense media coverage of celebrity suicides can lead to a copycat effect, increasing risk factors for suicide. While mass shootings are too rare to allow for a statistically significant determination of whether media coverage helps lead to copycat murders, some researchers theorize that the same effect is in play.

It's not difficult to see why. Many shooters express a desire for attention or fame before their killings; the two Columbine shooters hoped Steven Spielberg or Quentin Tarantino would make a film about them. In the wake of mass shootings, media outlets descend on a community and seem to barrage the airwaves with details about the perpetrators — what they said on social media, how they dressed and what video games they played.

"With the unwitting cooperation of 24/7 media, he will become a national villain," Vox's Ezra Klein wrote about the UCSB shooter two weeks ago. "And other sick young men will see him get the renown in death that they have have never been able to receive in life."

Responsible reporting: So where do outlets draw the line between covering what is undoubtedly a major news event and not making shooters into celebrities? The National Institute for Mental Health, in cooperation with many other government agencies, has a set of guidelines for media coverage of suicide that can inform some aspects of shooting coverage.

In other cases, it comes down to exercising good news judgement. Coverage of the UCSB shooter's misogynistic motives, mainly gleaned from his online postings and videos, drove national conversations about the link between sexism, racism and violence, including the launch of #YesAllWomen — arguably welcome outcomes from such a tragic event. Reporting on gun control policy and mental health access in relation to shootings can also be vital.

Sun News exercised its judgement and decided that releasing the New Brunswick shooter's name and photo would harm rather than help the story and its audience. Even if it doesn't spark a chain reaction in U.S. media, it's still a conversation that should happen in every newsroom in the wake of such a tragedy. There are always plenty of details out there — which ones are really important?
Bravo, Sun News, bravo!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #2718
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Awesome.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #2719
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But, but, he had an arsenal in his house, a shotgun, pistol and machete... so obviously the sky is falling and he's an alien agent bent on world domination, and taking away our BBQs.

I agree it's an excellent idea, but it's not as profitable, so I don't hold much hope for it to become commonplace, especially on the net.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #2720
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I got pissed off about a recent HuffPost headline something like 74 school shootings since Newtown. And a call for action, ie gun control. I am all for licensing guns and registering them as one would with cars, but how about another call to arms? Stop glorifying the shooters. Don't give them any recognition.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #2721
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Hidden Deep Inside the Oregon Woods Is a Boeing 727

Quote:
Bruce Campbell calls a retired Boeing 727 aircraft home. (Image source: AirplaneHome.com)

Quote:
For Bruce Campbell, it’s home. The 64-year-old told TheBlaze Monday he’s been living in the retired aircraft for years now.

“It’s genesis was sort of a slowly developing element,” he explained. “As a kid I saw videos of aircraft boneyards on TV and the concept sank in early in life and that just slowly evolved into use of a retired aircraft for a home.”
theblaze.com

Google Maps

Occasionally, stories emerge of people who live in converted railway carriages, often in considerable comfort, but I really don't think that I could adapt to either accommodation.

However, each to his own and Mr Campbell seems quite happy there.

Come to think of it, I would have no trouble adapting to the location itself. Seems pretty much idyllic.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #2722
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I got really excited when i saw the name Bruce Campbell - but it's a different Bruce Campbell. Disappoint.

(awesome pics though and equally awesome concept)
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #2723
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

As I recall he bought it surplus for like $100,000 then spent that same amount moving the damn thing to his lot, plus the site prep costs. Not a cheap home and anyone who's flown on a 727 knows they're pretty damn small. The other drawback is, as everyone knows, you can't smoke in the bathroom.

Oh Christ, he's an engineer alright, don't see a wife either.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 06-11-2014 at 03:53 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #2724
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
As I recall he bought it surplus for like $100,000 then spent that same amount moving the damn thing to his lot,
I haven't seen any indication as to how it was moved. I assume by road with fuselage and wings being transported separately.

There are easier ways of setting up home, but he's happy so good luck to Mr Campbell.

ETA: Just been looking at Mr Campbell at the top of the stairs at the rear of the aircraft.
They never found D B Cooper and that 727 was hijacked over Oregon.
Spooky.

Last edited by Carruthers; 06-11-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #2725
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I remember another set up where they mounted the plane on a pivot so it would turn with the wind like a weather vane. The rational was it could turn into a bad storm, presenting the smallest, strongest and safest profile. Considering the problems that presents like sewer, water, and electric connections which also pivot, along with the increased cost, I'd hate to think they did it for shits and giggles. I do, however, remember thinking from the statements at the time, they did.

Here's a pivoting set up for sale. http://www.airplanehomes.com/details.html

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 06-11-2014 at 05:48 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #2726
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Here's one in Costa Rica that shows the construction photos.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #2727
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

from YahooNews

Alabama beaches reopen after over 100 sharks cause double red flag warnings

Name:  bamasharks.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  39.6 KB

Quote:
On Tuesday, swimmers were finally allowed back into the gulf waters off Orange Beach, Alabama following days of double red flag warnings that were prompted by a massive group of sharks. As reported by WKRG News 5, the rare warning is an alert for swimmers to avoid the waters but despite the flags, some beachgoers were still going into the gulf.

WKRG took to the sky for a better perspective and as late as Sunday afternoon, they reported seeing 100 to 150 sharks swimming around the area where the gulf meets Perdido Pass. Experts believed that they were bull sharks and varied in size with some 6 to 7 feet long, but most just 3 to 4 feet long. According to WKRG, bull sharks are one of the top ten deadliest sharks. By Monday, most of the sharks had dispersed and the station was only able to count 22 sharks in the area, a number closer to the norm.

The Pensacola News Journal reported that Melvin Shepard, Orange Beach safety director, felt the large number of sharks in the area were there to feed. "We think a lot has to do with snapper fishing," Shepard said. "A lot of people are cleaning their fish and tossing them into the water (at the pass). We're hoping with snapper season ending today, people will stop dumping their carcasses and the sharks will disperse."

By noon on Tuesday, the paper reported that the double red flags had been taken down after it was confirmed that only a few sharks remained near Perdido Pass.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #2728
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Antonov An-225

OK, it's not weird but it's definitely out of the ordinary.

When the opportunity presents itself, I'll sit out in the sunshine. I'm interested in almost anything that flies, be it bird or aircraft, so I usually have binoculars to hand.

I spotted this mighty beast heading northwards and had absolutely no idea what it was. Wikipedia tells us that it is the only example ever built and was intended to transport the Soviet version of the Space Shuttle.

According to various websites, it has visited East Midlands on a number of previous occasions. My first thoughts were that it would be collecting aero engines from the Rolls Royce plant at Derby but it seems that Cargolux normally does that job with a regular flight to the Boeing plant near Seattle. No doubt all will be revealed soon.

I wonder how long it took for the brakes to cool down.

ETA: Intelligence reaching me says that it was collecting Rolls-Royce engines for the Airbus plant at Toulouse. Well, I was half right.

Last edited by Carruthers; 06-13-2014 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Aircraft task.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #2729
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

If East Midlands is the airport I think it is (just outside Cov) then the plane is larger than the actual airport
When I went there it was little more than a shack in a field. The lady in the catering "building" aka shed - left me in charge while she went to get change for my bacon cob! I only had a £20 note as I had my holiday money with me, drawn out that morning.

The Bureau de Change was a machine...

It was strangely charming, especially for someone who has only flown from London airports previously (and I thought Stansted was provincial!)
Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #2730
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
If East Midlands is the airport I think it is (just outside Cov) then the plane is larger than the actual airport
When I went there it was little more than a shack in a field. The lady in the catering "building" aka shed - left me in charge while she went to get change for my bacon cob! I only had a £20 note as I had my holiday money with me, drawn out that morning.

The Bureau de Change was a machine...

It was strangely charming, especially for someone who has only flown from London airports previously (and I thought Stansted was provincial!)
East Mids is about two thirds of the way from Leicester to Derby. Quite a big freight hub plus 'bucket and spade' flights to the usual holiday destinations around the Med.

I think that Coventry Airport has made efforts to take trade from Brum and East Mids but hasn't been too successful. I doubt if you'd be able to get a holiday flight from there anymore, let alone a scheduled service. If memory serves, all the overseas mail coming into the country arrives at Coventry to be processed at the Royal Mail centre there and I believe that a number of parcels companies also have operations at the airport. Not entirely without success, but still not a bustling international hub.