The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

12/6/2005: Naked PETA protest

SeanAhern suggests this one, which IotD featured at least once back in the day, but it's been a while. Naked protest has always been an IotD feature so why not. It's PETA here, in a stunt they do rather often actually - if you scout for IotD shots like I do, I see em all the time, but if you don't, it's new to you.

The full story in this case is an interview with the lass above, in which she notes she's done this over 50 times.

"That's why we do it: to get media attention for PETA's causes. I didn't like standing outside naked in 30-degree weather -- it's absolutely crazy! But we did it for the animals."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:46 AM   #2
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Yeah. She really looks like she doesn't like it.

prrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Interesting to read that PETA aren't necessarily anti-hunting.

Most people I know agree some meat or animal protein in a diet is necessary, but hunting is a choice and undertaken almost solely for the pleasure of killing animals (please note - consensus of opinion - not my view).

I may even be interested enough to check out their official ideology now....

It may explain what a vegetarian is doing with a fox carcass at the Opera anyway.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
mrnoodle
bent

Sundae Girl, you should do a cellar search on PETA and hunting and animal rights and all that good stuff. The combined knowledge and opinion of the cellar oracle shines brighter than a 40W bulb -- nay, 1000 40W bulbs.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:31 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Why don't we ever see naked dudes for PETA? I'd like to see some naked hunk all done up like a leopard or something.

She looks like a lost member of Josey and the PussyCats. Meow.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #6
magilla
Belt Conveyor

Hey!

Shouldn't this be a Friday IotD?

Chris
magilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Women have non-protruding genitalia, and are thus less offensive to the public as a group. Also, we are still a hugely patriarchal society, so babes are gonna be used as advertising every time.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:41 PM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Perhaps if you sent Pinnewala Elephant Orphanage an idea for fundraising and some grey body paint they might just go for it??

Sorry, cheap joke - but click the link anyway, I've been there & they do a great job.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:37 PM   #9
Wormfood
Superior Inhabitant

Ok,how many guys out there where clicking on that link in hope for
"better" pictures...
Wormfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #10
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

If PETA would put me in the cage with that bird then I'd sign up in a flash.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:00 PM   #11
gerstle
some guy.

"...but hunting is a choice and undertaken almost solely for the pleasure of killing animals (please note - consensus of opinion - not my view)."

whose consensus? I don't know if i agree with this...

I'm not a hunter myself, but i live in montana where hunting is a regular part of life and I see a lot of this first hand. 99% of the hunters i know (or have heard of) hunt for the meat. Do they enjoy shooting guns - killing animals included? Sure, most of them do. But, if you're hunting to have meat to enjoy and eat i still see this as much more respectful than those of us that get our meet from the grocery in a little package and have no knowledge of or connection to the animal it came from. I even know folks that enjoy shooting stuff so much that they spend all their time and money on guns; however, they won't take down an elk or a deer simply because they don't like the meat (personally, i think they're nuts for preferring beef).

Are there people who hunt simply for the trophy to hang on the wall and/or the "thrill of the hunt?" Sure, but these people are looked down upon by the hunting community as much as by non-hunters. For example, I've seen wanted posters around town for any information of who killed such and such animal illegally and left it. Hunters do not take that sort of thing lightly.
gerstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #12
Karenv
Slacker

I agree that it is more respectful to match wits with an animal, track it and hunt it than to buy meat in the prepackaged trays in the grocery store. In fact I think one is likely to eat less meat if they have to kill it. And I will bet that less gets wasted.

As for PETA, they kill all kinds of pets. Between 1998 and 2004 they killed 12,473 of the 15,661 animals they received in their Norfolk VA headquarters. That is a 79.6% kill rate with only 18.5% adopted. In 2000, when the Associated Press first noted PETA's Kervorkian-esque tendencies, PETA president Ingrid Newkirk complained that actually taking care of animals costs more than killing them. "We could become a no-kill shelter immediately," she admitted.

PETA kills animals. Because it has other financial priorities like fund raising.

And they are actually one of the chief terrorist groups in the country according to a friend who is a trained security consultant.

Check out http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
Karenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Women have non-protruding genitalia, and are thus less offensive to the public as a group. Also, we are still a hugely patriarchal society, so babes are gonna be used as advertising every time.
And naked guys are icky whilst naked babes are decidedly non-icky.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Women have non-protruding genitalia, and are thus less offensive to the public as a group.
Speak for yourself!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:02 PM   #15
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Brag, brag, brag. Where's the pictures, sez I.

You have my email address. I'm waiting.