The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 10-09-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Fatter than God

I am getting so fat---so freaking fat! I need some real, live solutions to this problem that don't include #1) wiring my jaw shut, or, #2) surgery. Now. I KNOW about eating right and all that. What I want to know is--has anybody tried TrimSpa or HydroxyCut or any of that stuff? Does it help/work? I like easy--I like chemical solutions, so this would be wonderful if it DID help, but I don't feel like shelling out 40.00 for a bottle of stuff if it won't help.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

always read iotd
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

dammit!!!!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 10-09-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

As far as I have been able to tell (and my wife is on the verge of having weight-reduction surgery, so I've done some research), the *only* things that work are:

1) Eat less, exercise more
2) Endure some sort of physical modification

All the rest is patent-medicine, snake-oil, hucksterism.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

els--how much torture did your wife have to go thru to get an OK on the surgery? Did she have to prove that she couldn't lose weight on her own? Lots of documentation?

—James Barrie

Old 10-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I agree with Elspode. To weigh less, you have to burn more than you eat. No other non-surgical way to do it. You have to operate at a calorie deficit. Like paying off credit cards, two big things stand in your way. One is the with credit cards, you have to live below your means as you pay down the balance. With the diet, you have to eat less than you want / can. And the second thing is that in both cases, this is an change and an uncomfortable one. And, sadly, the discomfort is most easily removed by the very actions that got things to this point in the first place. Eat, spend. It is HARD.

I've had personal experience with both the jaw-wiring-shut and the stomach-stapling routes. One was my ex-fiance' and the other was my ex-sister-in-law. The results were dramatic. The weight does come off, lots and fast.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I read somewhere recently, scientists studying how the brain receives and send signals, discovered an anomaly.
The signals to the brain for hunger and anxiety are identical.
That makes hunger so difficult to dismiss.
I want...no I NEED, chocolate...now.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:37 AM   #8
marichiko

Well, nothing beats the thrill of surgery, but if you want an alternative to having staples in your pyloric valve or whatever:

The absolute number one worst way to lose weight is to cut back on calories and not exercise. The body's metabolism thinks you're still a small furry mammal living through bad times back when that big old meteor hit and changed the earth's climate and got rid of all those nasty dinosaurs. Your metabolism will slow down and go into survival mode, and you'll remain plump on one slice of bread per day.

If you drink, stop. There are SO many empty calories in a single glass of wine or a shot of Jack!

Avoid dairy products as much as possible - they all come from the milk of a cow. Do you know what cow's milk is supposed to produce? An eight hundred pound animal, minimum.

The human metabolism has evolved to support a diet of lean meat, whole grains and fruit and plenty of time spent on the move searching for food and avoiding predators. This means avoid McDonalds, avoid processed foods, and refined sugars, and start spending more time at the gym or even just walking.

You need to jump start your metabolism again. Walk every day, if its physical do it. Take up gardening, sign up for a line dancing class, park your car at the farthest spot rather than the nearest.

Good luck to you!
Old 10-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
Fudge Armadillo
What's the matter with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Well, nothing beats the thrill of surgery, but if you want an alternative to having staples in your pyloric valve or whatever:

The absolute number one worst way to lose weight is to cut back on calories and not exercise. The body's metabolism thinks you're still a small furry mammal living through bad times back when that big old meteor hit and changed the earth's climate and got rid of all those nasty dinosaurs. Your metabolism will slow down and go into survival mode, and you'll remain plump on one slice of bread per day.
This statement is not entirely correct; your metabolism will slow down if you make a dramatic cut to your average caloric intake, but in order for this to happen, you need to reduce it to well below what you burn every day (an average person would burn around 1700 calories a day with no exercise). To slow your metabolism down a significant amount, you’d probably have to cut your caloric intake to ~1200 calories. If you cut it to 600, you can really slow it down, but it’s hard to get any reasonable nutrition at that level.

Quote:
If you drink, stop. There are SO many empty calories in a single glass of wine or a shot of Jack!
Wine has far fewer calories that most other beverages. It is far better to drink wine than beer or soda (or even juices, if you are concentrating only on calories).

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s02yv.html

Quote:
Avoid dairy products as much as possible - they all come from the milk of a cow. Do you know what cow's milk is supposed to produce? An eight hundred pound animal, minimum.
Whole milk is fairly high in calories, but reduced fat (and skim, for that matter) milk really isn’t. A cup of 1% milkfat milk has about 100 calories. Dairy products are in general fairly high in fat (which is a better reason to avoid them than for caloric levels).

Quote:
The human metabolism has evolved to support a diet of lean meat, whole grains and fruit and plenty of time spent on the move searching for food and avoiding predators. This means avoid McDonalds, avoid processed foods, and refined sugars, and start spending more time at the gym or even just walking.
Humans have likely not evolved their metabolisms at all over recorded history. People can subsist on rather bland and homogeneous diets quite well; the only survival advantage to eating high on the food chain is that you can get more caloric density. Humans do not need to eat meat, whole grains, or fruit to survive.

Quote:
You need to jump start your metabolism again. Walk every day, if its physical do it. Take up gardening, sign up for a line dancing class, park your car at the farthest spot rather than the nearest.
In order to lose weight, you have to eat fewer calories than you expend. Exercising and burning an extra 200 calories per day does you no good if you eat an extra 200 calories per day. It is harder than most people think to burn calories by exercising. I spend around 30 minutes a day on my spinner bike running my heart rate at around 190 and I’ll burn only around 350 calories each session (it takes about 3500 calories to make a pound). Most people can’t run their heart rates that high for nearly that long and will burn calories much slower. You will never be able to lose weight until you get your diet under control.

Last edited by Fudge Armadillo; 10-10-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Fudge Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #10
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Strange how nobody has pointed out that a good round of athletic sex burns a great number of calories, and tones a lot more muscles than a spinner bike

But as far as diets, I've had great success with Slimfast as a maintenance tool. I didn't have to drop a huge amount of weight, but I was becoming very "fluffy" from all the donuts and fast food in the office environment. Slimfast worked perfectly, because that way I got plenty of energy with no headache or tiredness while typing at a computer. Then when you leave the office you do your exercising and can eat a "normal" meal and skip desert. After 3 days on Slimfast, you actually do not WANT to eat anything more than a normal meal. That 3-day window seems to be key, I noticed the same thing when I did the Atkins Diet back in the early 70's when it first came out. So if you can hold to the discipline for 3 days, many of the cravings will go away. But of course, if you are morbidly obese, none of this will help you because your metabolism no longer recognizes the signals which govern normal hunger and satiation and has run away with your body. Having your stomach stapled is to essentially remove most of that organ which processes alimentation, and that seems as extreme as using abortion as your sole means of birth control. It should be the absolute last resort and only if a doctor with no vested interest in selling this surgery has said you have no other choice.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #11
Fudge Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
Strange how nobody has pointed out that a good round of athletic sex burns a great number of calories, and tones a lot more muscles than a spinner bike
Very true, but many of us single people don't have that option.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:28 PM   #12
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

The Hydroxycut stuff worked for me but I was just trying to cut up a bit with less of a drop in caloric intake. It won't help much for significant weight loss.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #13
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge Armadillo
This statement is not entirely correct; your metabolism will slow down if you make a dramatic cut to your average caloric intake, but in order for this to happen, you need to reduce it to well below what you burn every day (an average person would burn around 1700 calories a day with no exercise). To slow your metabolism down a significant amount, you’d probably have to cut your caloric intake to ~1200 calories. If you cut it to 600, you can really slow it down, but it’s hard to get any reasonable nutrition at that level.
Folks will go on crash diets out of desperation and not worry about nutrition. This is very counter-productive. You yourself admit that low caloric intake will slow down the metabolism. That was my point, also.

Quote:
Wine has far fewer calories that most other beverages. It is far better to drink wine than beer or soda (or even juices, if you are concentrating only on calories).

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s02yv.html
The body will burn the acetates which are a product of alcohol consumption in preference to burning stored fat. Thus the calories in a glass of wine or shot of vodka are far more lethal than the calories in a can of soda pop.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/...ch/alcohol.htm

Quote:
Whole milk is fairly high in calories, but reduced fat (and skim, for that matter) milk really isn’t. A cup of 1% milkfat milk has about 100 calories. Dairy products are in general fairly high in fat (which is a better reason to avoid them than for caloric levels).
I didn't say avoid dairy products merely because of calories. I stated that cow's milk - from which dairy products are all derived - is a substance dedicated to the production of an animal which will one day weigh 800 pounds or more. Why eat dairy products if you want to be a slim 120 pounds?

Quote:
Humans have likely not evolved their metabolisms at all over recorded history. People can subsist on rather bland and homogeneous diets quite well; the only survival advantage to eating high on the food chain is that you can get more caloric density. Humans do not need to eat meat, whole grains, or fruit to survive.
I did not state that humans have evolved their metabolisms over recorded history. Human history is a mere blink of the eye to Old Mother Evolution. Our metabolisms remain the same as they were when we were wandering around in the plains of Africa. Whole grains, fruit, and lean meat are not high on the food chain - OK, meat is, but fruit and grains are NOT. And, no, we don't need to eat these things to survive, but you were worried about nutrition in the first paragraph of your response, why are you forgetting it here?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:11 PM   #14
Fudge Armadillo

Quote:
Folks will go on crash diets out of desperation and not worry about nutrition. This is very counter-productive. You yourself admit that low caloric intake will slow down the metabolism. That was my point, also.
True. My point was that you need to make a rather drastic change in your caloric intake to have a significant impact on your metabolism. Most people would not be able to cut their intake long enough (even on a “crash” diet) to alter their metabolism. Your original statement was:

Quote:
The absolute number one worst way to lose weight is to cut back on calories and not exercise.
I was merely trying to clarify. You must cut back on calories to lose weight; otherwise, you to increase your activity level enough so that your intake = expenditure. This is way easier to do with diet than with exercise. If you do cut your caloric intake enough for your metabolism to change, you cannot counter this effect by exercising more. For most people who want to lose weight, it is far better to get one's diet under control before beginning any exercise program.

Quote:
The body will burn the acetates which are a product of alcohol consumption in preference to burning stored fat. Thus the calories in a glass of wine or shot of vodka are far more lethal than the calories in a can of soda pop.
When it comes to weight loss, calories are calories. Period.
http://health.howstuffworks.com/calorie5.htm

Quote:
I didn't say avoid dairy products merely because of calories. I stated that cow's milk - from which dairy products are all derived - is a substance dedicated to the production of an animal which will one day weigh 800 pounds or more. Why eat dairy products if you want to be a slim 120 pounds?
This makes no sense. All mammals produce milk, which is very similar in composition. Humans, as an accident of history, happen to drink cow’s milk more often than other mammals. Using your logic, I would assume drinking rat’s milk would be less harmful than drinking cow’s milk since adult rats weigh only a few pounds.

Quote:
And, no, we don't need to eat these things to survive, but you were worried about nutrition in the first paragraph of your response, why are you forgetting it here?
Weight loss has nothing to do with nutrition. I was just making a point, not proselytizing.

Your statement was:
Quote:
The human metabolism has evolved to support a diet of lean meat, whole grains and fruit and plenty of time spent on the move searching for food and avoiding predators.
I interpreted this (probably incorrectly) as a statement that humans who eat a “balanced” diet have a survival advantage over those that do not. This is the point I was refuting. I probably should have said "human" history, rather than "recorded" history. That's what I meant, in any case.

Last edited by Fudge Armadillo; 10-10-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Fudge Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:40 PM   #15
itsjulie
Vice-President of Resentment

I have tried both. And I should add that I am a person that doesn't even take an aspirin for a headache, but a friend took trimspa and lost so much weight I tried it. I think the stuff I tried is now illegal to sell.

I have to say when I started taking it I probably needed to lose about 15 pounds. I lost about 5 the first week. And I felt like shit. People at my work would ask me why my hands were shaking - it was terrible. It made me very hyper.

Now, I think I am at a good weight and try to get to the gym a few times a week. Cardio, cardio, cardio is the only answer to lose weight, that and of course reducing your calorie intake. It takes a few weeks, but once you increase your cardio the weight will come off.