The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-10-2007, 03:23 PM   #46
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

So, are we saying there would or would not be a sonic boom at the formation of the vapor/cloud we see in the photo?
theotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #47
monster
I hear them call the tide

It takes two years to eat a plane, so lots of recipe potential here.... and probably lots of pulled vapors.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #48
narcuul
Aggregate Aggravator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherguy View Post
So, are we saying there would or would not be a sonic boom at the formation of the vapor/cloud we see in the photo?
The vapor cloud is not a necessary connection with the sonic boom it seems. That depends on many things, like air temperature, moisture, aeroplane speed and even the shape of the fast traveling "thing".. So, breaking the sonic barrier is not necessary to produce the cloud, if I understand things correctly.. But then again, if the sound barrier is broken, it is very likely that this phenomenon is produced.
narcuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #49
Griff
still says videotape

I was looking very closely at the pulled vapors. I decided to clean off some artifacts and suddenly a dolphin...
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #50
glatt

that's not a dolphin!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #51
Griff
still says videotape

*Knock knock* Telegram.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #52
ViennaWaits
That's some bad hat, Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I was looking very closely at the pulled vapors. I decided to clean off some artifacts and suddenly a dolphin...
OH yea... I'll be giggling about that for a week. If I'm consequently commited, I'll expect letters from the lot of you.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #53
steambender
It just needs a minor tweak...here...

Blue Angels will be flying around tomorrow, the Miramar Airshow is this weekend, and living at the top of a hill about 5 miles NE of the airfield makes us a convenient landmark for high speed U turns to get back for the next pass. They fly wingtip to wingtip and light off the afterburners as they come out of the turns. We're several hundred feet above the field, so they seem very close.

The windows don't stop rattling or the neighborhood dogs stop howling for three days. It's glorious.

The pictures are real. you can seen the coast guard and the buoy lines the boats stay behind. the flight lane is probably a mile wide like someone suggested. The precision and discipline these guys practice every day puts all of us to shame.
steambender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:38 AM   #54
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaWaits View Post
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO too funny.
Ok, ya'll have me convinced that it may not be shopped. I just found it seriously hard to believe that they would be that close.
Color me corrected.
One year, I was watching the Thunderbirds at Jones beach LI (Back when they were flying T-38s - that'll tell you how long ago) - one of the stunts was flying INVERTED close to the water - only time I EVER saw one of those guys make a rough move - seems the next wave was a tad taller than he figured - he jinked up about 10 ft or so, because it appeard the wave was going to touch his vertical stabilizer!

Yes - they fly LOW

The LOWEST I've ever seen a picture of was of a SU-27, doing a VERY low pass down a runway - by descriptions, and by the photo, he appears to be about 2 ft off the deck
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #55
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Welcome to the Cellar narcuul !
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #56
Adam
Sibling of the Commonweal

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcuul View Post
There is an interesting analogy to Cherenkov radiation.
Sweet!
Discussions of Electromagnetic Wave attenuation, Psychrometrics, Optics and dangerous stunts at the speed of sound! This thread is rocking!
Throw in the Voynich Manuscript and I may never go to work again.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:32 AM   #57
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

More pulling vapor from an airplane that will NEVER even come close to the sound barrier - I'm not going to imbed it, because it's not mine, and it's kinda large

http://op-for.com/A10.jpg
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #58
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieG View Post
More pulling vapor from an airplane that will NEVER even come close to the sound barrier - I'm not going to imbed it, because it's not mine, and it's kinda large

http://op-for.com/A10.jpg
Ahhhh... the best AC ever built IMHO!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #59
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And one of the best pictures I've seen of an A-10. Thanks CharlieG.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #60
narcuul
Aggregate Aggravator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Welcome to the Cellar narcuul !
Thank you.

..It's funny. Although I am Finnish and English language is by no means easy to me, I've been doing just fine with what little I know for so many years. This forum though, is something else. So many jokes, subtle (more or less, don't know) references or whatever are pretty mysterious to me. It's a challenge. And an interesting one at that.

(Like those dolphins. I just don't get it.. Yeah. I do feel slightly challenged right now.. )
narcuul is offline   Reply With Quote