The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #91
glatt

I started getting annoyed with the battery after a year and a half. But you put up with these annoyances for a while before you do something about it. Replacing the battery was actually fairly easy. Ebay sells these inexpensive battery kits with jewelers screwdrivers included, and there are tons of videos on youtube showing how to do it. If I could go back in time, I would have replaced the battery after a year. File this in the back of your mind for future reference.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #92
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
There was no 'up front' cost for the phone and £15 ($22.50) per month on a two year contract, buys 500 mins talk time, 5000 texts and 500mb of data.
Keep an eye on that. Coming from a non-smart-phone, 500mb might seem like a lot, but the phone is going to make using that up very easy.

I'm not saying to buy more data, just keep in mind that there are apps that can use it very quickly.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #93
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I started getting annoyed with the battery after a year and a half. But you put up with these annoyances for a while before you do something about it. Replacing the battery was actually fairly easy. Ebay sells these inexpensive battery kits with jewelers screwdrivers included, and there are tons of videos on youtube showing how to do it. If I could go back in time, I would have replaced the battery after a year. File this in the back of your mind for future reference.
Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Keep an eye on that. Coming from a non-smart-phone, 500mb might seem like a lot, but the phone is going to make using that up very easy.

I'm not saying to buy more data, just keep in mind that there are apps that can use it very quickly.
Yes, I'm wary of coming a cropper on that front so my usage will be carefully monitored. No, make that very carefully monitored.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #94
glatt

It's easy to just have it run on wifi when you are at a hot spot so you do your heavy lifting with that.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #95
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It's easy to just have it run on wifi when you are at a hot spot so you do your heavy lifting with that.
I've got it working on my wifi network OK. In the event of web access being required, and no available wifi network, does it default to the cell phone network and use up data that way?
Old 02-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #96
Happy Monkey

Yes, and lots of apps do periodic network access which can use data, but well behaved ones ought not use too much.

But if you get in the habit of using a data-intensive app on your wifi, you might use it without thinking when you're away. I watched a couple of Youtube videos, and it ate into my data limit real fast.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 02-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #97
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

You can usually set a "mobile data limit" which should alert you when you're getting close to your data allowance limit. I don't have a large limit and find that as long as I don't watch films (or moving images of any sort) or stream (download) music from I never have a problem.

Sent by thought transference
Old 02-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #98
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Yes, and lots of apps do periodic network access which can use data, but well behaved ones ought not use too much.

But if you get in the habit of using a data-intensive app on your wifi, you might use it without thinking when you're away. I watched a couple of Youtube videos, and it ate into my data limit real fast.
Thanks for that explanation. I don't think I shall have the need for net access when I'm on the move so I hope to dodge the data bullet.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #99
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
You can usually set a "mobile data limit" which should alert you when you're getting close to your data allowance limit. I don't have a large limit and find that as long as I don't watch films (or moving images of any sort) or stream (download) music from I never have a problem.

Sent by thought transference
Ah thanks for that insight, limey. I'm sure that there's the means to monitor and limit data use but I have yet to find it!
Old 02-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #100
Happy Monkey

I have a Samsung, using Verizon, and both Samsung and Verizon provide data monitoring apps. The Verizon one even has a meter that shows how much you've used this month on the icon itself.

See if Apple and/or your provider have similar apps.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 02-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #101
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

another consideration is how you're connecting to the internet.

earlier, up-thread, someone mentioned "wi-fi". in the context of the post, I think they meant internet access via phone while wandering around. strictly speaking, "wi-fi" is wireless internet via a wireless access point, like you might have in your home or at a coffee shop. At least, that's the way is it around here. the other way to reach the internet via your phone is via the cell phone network. It is that network, sometimes called "mobile data", that counts against the 500 MB / month data limit.

Where possible, connect to wi-fi (don't know what it looks like on an iphone, the terms/screen/etc), and save access to the internet via cell phone networks for when local, wireless networks are unavailable. this will help conserve your data usage.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #102
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks, BigV.

Yes, I've configured the phone to my home wifi network but I until I become used to all the settings I remain a little concerned that I might be downloading huge wedges of data against my 500mb allocation.

I probably won't have too much cause to use the cell phone network for internet access as, due to domestic constraints, I don't wander too far from home.
On the other hand, when the stock market next tanks and my pension fund heads south at a rate of knots, I could have a ringside seat while taking the dog for a walk, courtesy of Bloomberg and Apple!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #103
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When you and the dog are out communing with nature, why would you want to watch a carnage? Sure, it would directly affect you, but you couldn't do anything about it.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #104
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
When you and the dog are out communing with nature, why would you want to watch a carnage? Sure, it would directly affect you, but you couldn't do anything about it.
Morbid curiosity!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #105
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I see, your living arrangement makes it difficult to practice your masochism.

Hmm, on second thought, maybe not.