Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

BTN

Back To Normal.

Cannot wait to get there. the holidays are too long, too close together (Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan) too stressful and sometimes too lonely and too messed up as my family has multiple families within it.

I, for one, will be glad, glad, glad when next Monday rolls around and things start becoming more normal.

I miss Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart. I'm sick of bullshit Christmas specials that sucketh.

We should have these holidays every OTHER year and then everyone really would look forward to them.

/grinchitude/

sorry. Just hate this stupid NY Day with NOTHING to do. And I saw Les Mis yesterday with my sister and I'm all wound up from it. I want a revolution! a real one! With songs!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I kind of like the not having anything to do part of it. The being able to watch anything that happens to take my fancy without the nagging guilt of work not yet done :p

I resist the passing of this time to the bitter end every year.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I kind of like the not having anything to do part of it. The being able to watch anything that happens to take my fancy without the nagging guilt of work not yet done :p

I resist the passing of this time to the bitter end every year.
really? it doesn't get on your nerves to be cheerful and wish everyone a 'happy' and the isolation of the snowbound streets and the chimney boys going 'weep, weep, weep' and the icicles that can be used as the perfect weapon just hanging about for anyone to take and the FUCKING HEATING BILLS and did I mention loneliness of feeling trapped with nowt but laundry to do and bills you can't pay b/c you equate love with material things due to poor bringing up and you just saw the saddest movie on the planet yesterday and you know one day you'll die?

ach. What's wrong here? I'm even starting to miss my ex--husband and wishing I had him still so at least there would be somebody...oh gawd. Maudlin Alert.

I'm done now. I'll get better here soon enough. *sobz*
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 01-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

http://youtu.be/4wJ-yzL6MFs

—James Barrie

Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

All I can say is it is damn hard work keeping on this time of year. Lots of different stressors to handle. Part of me wants to get back on my normal schedule. I'm not much for the holidays when it means too many people in the house, but the alternative is going back to work with a co-teacher I can't always bear. Go me.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I hear ya griff. I have loved the time off. I do need a routine in my life though. Then again maybe i would have a new routine if i ever had time to get used to this.

Now it's just long months ahead, driving in the snow with crazy people all around, to my job with crazy people all around. I can only hope my meeting next week accomplishes what i have been asking for all along. Otherwise i cannot bear the thought of going in, day after long day.

The upside is spring will come.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
asidebet
SamIWas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
Back To Normal.

Cannot wait to get there. the holidays are too long, too close together (Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan) too stressful and sometimes too lonely and too messed up as my family has multiple families within it.

I, for one, will be glad, glad, glad when next Monday rolls around and things start becoming more normal.

I miss Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart. I'm sick of bullshit Christmas specials that sucketh.

We should have these holidays every OTHER year and then everyone really would look forward to them.

/grinchitude/

sorry. Just hate this stupid NY Day with NOTHING to do. And I saw Les Mis yesterday with my sister and I'm all wound up from it. I want a revolution! a real one! With songs!
I'm with you, kid. The Jon Stewart withdrawals are awful. I spent several hours Christmas Eve watching the bizarre videos marathon on MSNBC bcause I was gonna puke if I saw just one more made for TV Hallmark moment.

Today I'm having fun with the fiscal cliff thing. Screw New Year's - especially when the new year is 2013? I've got a bad feeling already.

I suggest Lyle Lovett for possible revolutionary anthems.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I love this time of year. Wish it never had to end.

I have to say though, I'm getting fed up with my husband getting the shits every christmas. He really is a grinch. Next year I'm sending him to his family on the other side of the country so the rest of us can celebrate without him making us feel guilty.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Having time off is good. But why do they always have to give the kids time off right at the same time, eh?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Having time off is good. But why do they always have to give the kids time off right at the same time, eh?
Aye, there's the rub.

Back to normal today, sigh .... just when I was figuring out this sleeping-in thing. No more sleep-ins for me! Paperwork,applications, taxes, stupid lawyers .... may I go back to bed now? Pleease?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

okay- the sun is trying to come out and play and I've gotten MOST of the lyrics to les Miz out of my head (replaced with bugs bunny theme music) so am feeling better.

but still. Holiday TV programming just sucketh. Sucketh hard and long.

—James Barrie

Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

The cats are just getting the hang of the new routine, with the pair of us loafing about all day . Each cat has adopted a lap for permanent residence. It's great! (Scotland has a Bank Holiday on 2 January). We may be here til the end of the week, frankly;-)

Sent by thought transference.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Enjoy it while you can, limey.
While the holidays were particularly good this year, today the outlanders are driving or flying home.
My pension wasn't direct deposited on the Jan 1st holiday, and I was afraid that meant I'd have to go back to work today, but it's there this morning so I can revert to my slovenly hermitian decadence.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
really? it doesn't get on your nerves to be cheerful and wish everyone a 'happy' and the isolation of the snowbound streets and the chimney boys going 'weep, weep, weep' and the icicles that can be used as the perfect weapon just hanging about for anyone to take and the FUCKING HEATING BILLS and did I mention loneliness of feeling trapped with nowt but laundry to do and bills you can't pay b/c you equate love with material things due to poor bringing up and you just saw the saddest movie on the planet yesterday and you know one day you'll die?

ach. What's wrong here? I'm even starting to miss my ex--husband and wishing I had him still so at least there would be somebody...oh gawd. Maudlin Alert.

I'm done now. I'll get better here soon enough. *sobz*
That doesn't sound fun, I grant you :P

The having to be cheerful thing doesn't affect me so much. I spent New Years eve alone with Carrot chops. It was great. We were abed by 11pm. All warm and snug and with something groovy to watch on the laptop.

Sure, the next day i had to say Happy New Year to a few peeps when I saw one of the regulars on Carrot's walk. But it's all very low key.

Them: hallo, you well?
Me: oh aye, fair to middlin, how bout you, have a good new year?
Them: oh yes, it was lovely, you?
Me: Quiet, how I like it
Both: *chuckle*

That is the absolute extent of my new Year cheeriness.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

OK, am I the only person in the world who loves it when all my kids are at home and we get to spend an extended amount of time together? lol

I think I've always felt this way, but now more than ever I cherish the school holidays with my big boys because these days are coming to an end really soon. The fact that their flight feathers are clearly coming in has never been more evident to me. In fact, I have to fight myself to let go of them and have faith in what I've done so far to help them through their lives, and just believe they have enough of the basics to find their wings when they take that final step off the end of the branch. How they choose to fly after they do so is really in their hands, but I'll always be here (at least for another 40 yrs or so I hope) to help them find their way again if they lose sight of what's important.

Anyway, sorry for that little rant. I just love being with my kids. And most of their friends too for that matter. They keep me young at heart with their antics. There's no doubt the teenage years are a challenge, but most days I feel pretty good about how these kids are turning out. They are nice people to be around.