Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #16
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Hahaha owwww ... think I'll try the Anbesol first. And the emergency kit. I wonder if those have zinc oxide and eugenol?
yes. a real solution is to score some cocaine and put in your tooth. then super glue is used to seal it.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #17
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
yes. a real solution is to score some cocaine and put in your tooth. then super glue is used to seal it.
Somehow I suspect that would get me fired. Not cool for the MRO to have benzoylecgonine showing up.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Just tell 'em you drank the water.

Lots and lots of water.

Also, Re:benzoylecgonine;

Stop making me learn stuff.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #19
orthodoc

But now you know what's (possibly) in the water. Just think what you could do with that at parties.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #20
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I don't drink water because fish fuck in it.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #21
orthodoc

Toothache/jaw ache is worse, and facial pain/headache have joined the party.

Appointment with Robert Tigani at 0800 tomorrow. Thank you, glatt!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #22
glatt

Glad you got an appointment. The whole family has been going to him forever. He doesn't push unnecessary work. But does a good job when you need work done. Much better than the other few dentists I tried years ago.

I hope he brings you relief!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #23
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Coincidentally, Mr. Clod is having a root canal on Thursday. Anyone know whether this involves enough anesthesia that he'll need a ride?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #24
orthodoc

I'd say it depends on Mr. Clod and on what the dentist is comfortable doing in the office in the way of sedation. If heavy sedation is available, he'll need a ride. Maybe a call tomorrow to check on what to expect?

I've never looked forward so much to having needles stuck into my gums. If Dr. Tigani has nitrous oxide, I'll take that too. The whole right side of my face and jaw is one wave of pain after another. Not expecting to sleep tonight, and tomorrow's lectures are a loss. I just hope to be functional by Thursday, because the clinic is double-booked.

eta - just tried some eugenol on a cotton pledget with some relief. Down to something bearable. Yes!!

Last edited by orthodoc; 08-26-2014 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Eugenol works!
orthodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #25
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Clod,

The procedure requires only parenteral anesthesia. Local infiltration for maxillary teeth, mandibular block for all mandibular teeth on the side of the injection (possibly just a long buccal block if it's the molar area). These won't impair his ability to drive.

If he opts for general anesthesia; or, sedation - he should have a ride. Some dentists won't begin the procedure unless he acknowledges that it's been arranged.

I've administered the aforementioned nerve blocks and local infiltration and I've been the recipient of them, all without sedation. My first day in dental rotation during clinicals I performed 17 simple extractions while my supervising dentist was in another treatment room bifurcating molars. (I'm not qualified to drill).

True story: During a subsequent annual dental sustainment training period, I was assisting my supervising dentist in a four hand procedure when from the next treatment room I heard WHACKA ... WHACKA ... WHACKA! I looked at the dentist and he said That's the dentist from Jordan who's unit is here training with us. He went to dental school in the US and knows how to drill; but, he doesn't have drills back home so he's using a mallet and chisel. He said he doesn't want his troops to get used to the drills.

I keep a dental mallet and chisel (along with various tooth forceps, periosteal elevators, excavators ... etc.) in my field dental kit to this day. We don't need no stinkin' drills.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #26
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Coincidentally, Mr. Clod is having a root canal on Thursday. Anyone know whether this involves enough anesthesia that he'll need a ride?
It'll be painful enough he'll need a ride. [/three root canal girl]

Of course, my dental history could fill a book. So maybe it won't be so bad for him. Hope all goes well!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Had eight root canals and drove home every time. Only totaled three cars.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #28
Griff
still says videotape

New crown Wednesday, king for a day.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:21 AM   #29
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

It's not often I see a field dental instrument kit like mine come on the market (Link); but sure enough, there's one on eBay for another 6 days or until it sells - whichever comes first. It's listed as "used" because it's surplus; however, it's described as being in like new condition. It costs twice as much as mine did new back in the day but what can you do ... you might see it on the market only once a decade.

It's designed to be readily transportable. The upper tray holds probes, scalers, excavators and even a spatula for mixing temporary filling material. The base tray holds maxillary and mandibular universal forceps, periosteal elevator, mirror handle and a couple of detachable mirrors. I adjusted my own kit to include a different style elevator and a dental aspirating syringe with extra harpoon (Link).

Get it while it's there to be got:

Name:  Dental kit.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  51.6 KB
Name:  Upper tray.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  61.4 KB
Name:  Base Tray.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  64.1 KB

ETA: The clips on the inside walls of the base tray will hold scalpel handles and the compartment with the mirrors will hold blades. I don't recall if the scalpels came with mine or if I added them. The mirror handle is seen between the forceps.

Last edited by sexobon; 09-28-2014 at 01:47 AM.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote